LOVE / HATE relationship with Gmail. . .
Is anyone else having intermittent success with Gmail with the 8320? Sometimes I won't get mail for a few hours, then get deluged with mail when I reconcile my account. For the most part, I get my mail almost instantaneously and other times it's just plain spotty. Has anyone else been experiencing this with TMO BIS? OR, is it because I upgraded my OS to 184.108.40.206?
Gmail has been great for me with my 8320 on Tmo BIS and 4.5...
No problem with my 8320 (T-Mo) running the 4.2 software.
No problems at all.
It's worked fine for me with an 8330 right out of the gate for a few months now. I just wish it would reconcile/sync sent items as well as received items. Gmail has been kinda flaky on and off for about a month now, including their infamous blackout so maybe you are seeing some residual effects of that?
I havent had any problems with my 8330 w/ 4.5 os .. running great.
argh. it may be my UMA connection then. blah......
are you using POP or IMAP?
IMAP enabled, POP disabled. is there a difference?
just updated my IMAP settings to GMAIL suggested settings
To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:
1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [email@example.com].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [firstname.lastname@example.org] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
16. Select Save.
There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:
1. Open the mailbox icon.
2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
3. Select Email Reconciliation.
4. Confirm the following settings:
* Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
* Wireless Reconcile: On
* On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
5. Select Save.
6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Anyone using the actual Gmail application on their curve? I am trying it as of last night and I have it set to notify when I receive new mail, but it never even receives any to notify me about. When I use the 'Refresh' in the Gmail menu it loads my complete inbox, otherwise it shows nothing (or whatever I previously already had).
Anything to make it push or auto check?
That being said, I don't use labels in gmail. The gmail app will let you label items and view by label.
The Gmail app will also let you see your emails in threaded "conversations" (just like the Gmail website) and allows you to search your entire Gmail account.
I haven't had any problems with my Gmail with my 8320, I did use the GMail app for a bit but have removed it. The only real thing I used it for was to look back at older ones that I have deleted off my BB. I noticed the emails come in faster through BIS than through the GMail application itself.
I used the gmail mail app for a little while until I realized it couldn't do a couple of simple things, then I junked it.
It wouldn't show your quoted message when you reply or forward. I don't have a short memory but when it's a lengthy email I need to respond to point for point, it becomes a nuisance. Secondly, you couldn't select/copy/paste from the email you are currently reading. Most of the time, I ended up forwarding the email to a different email account just to copy bits of the email.
It's a great app if you're reading your email but in terms of creating it, it's very rudimentary. Tell me I am missing something or if you see or know of anything different from what I'm doing wrong.
I just leave the app closed and only run it if I need those features.
i find the web version easier to use than the BB app - and faster too for some reason.
I have not had many problems with gmail. At times it seems slow but overall I have no complaints.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.