BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Free memory & Opera (8320)

Please Login to Remove!

I have a couple questions...

My 8320 has beta OS 4.5.0.69 and the extra apps that I installed are:
Gmail 1.5.1
Google Maps 2.2.3
Google Search 3.0.73
Opera Mini 4.1

However, my Curve comes up with at most 12.xMB of file free space even after a hard reset of battery pull. I see only 5 or 6 default programs running then.

What's wrong? How come I saw reports of 30MB free space? And as of now, after continuous running for a couple days, it's very unresponsive. Every key stroke or scroll ball movement is accompanied by a couple seconds of hour glass. Current free space is only 2.8MB.

BTW I store all media files in the 4GB SD card.

Another question is about Opera. Though BB browser works fine with both WiFi and EDGE, my Opera Mini (4.1) only works with WiFi. What should I do to get it working with EDGE? Couple weeks ago, right after I installed Opera, it worked once. But it never worked with EDGE every since.

TIA!
Ehien

Last edited by ehien : 09-12-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
OS: W/E's out
PIN: Guess
Carrier: Quit trying to see my carrier!
Posts: 108
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

For your first question you really don't need gmail and google search and I would run os 4.2 until your carrier releases an update despite what all of the mods say.
For your second question go to opera, then bb key, settings, and uncheck wifi at the very bottom and finally press the bb key and hit save (very important because escape discards any changes)
__________________
8320 PIN: Guess Carrier: Guess OS: 5.0.0.29

Yo soy un noob. - Albert Einstein
Offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmladenov View Post
Wirelessly posted

For your first question you really don't need gmail and google search and I would run os 4.2 until your carrier releases an update despite what all of the mods say.
For your second question go to opera, then bb key, settings, and uncheck wifi at the very bottom and finally press the bb key and hit save (very important because escape discards any changes)
Thanks for the advises. But I don't have BB service and only TMO data plan so internet email is all I get. Gmail and Google Search are convenient items that I use to access Gmail and online search. I can delete them if needed but I doubt them taking much space at all.

There are benefits running the Beta that I hope not to give up. But the OS shouldn't be much bigger, say, 20MB over, than 4.2, don't you think?

I've unchecked WiFi in Opera but it still can't access web pages through EDGE. I also tried both HTTP and Socket as Protocol with the same result.

The first time when I tried to reach a site in Opera, it asked me if it's ok to connect to "server4.operamini.com". Does it sound right? Though it didn't work whether I allowed it or not. The error messages are:
Failed to connect to the Internet.
900
java.lang.SecurityException:
javax.microedition.io.Connector.http
Offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
OS: W/E's out
PIN: Guess
Carrier: Quit trying to see my carrier!
Posts: 108
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

I have no idea try checking your TCP/APN settings under options because you are on t-mobile (like me) you need to set the apn to wap.voicestream.com and don't touch anything else and save. Also if your firewall is on turn it off.

What OS 4.5 Gives you: overall unstable bb, no folder icons, no wallpapers, 1000000000 problems that others complain about. Do you really think that T-Mobile would hold back 4.5 if it worked flawlessly? Its like win xp and vista. Win XP is 4.2 and Vista is 4.5 still buggy but will get better with time.

Please listen to a person that gave up html email and vid cam to be able to make a call without restarting the phone. But, its your phone...

EDIT:Sorry I made a critical error. Opera Mini only works with BIS and Wi-Fi (and maybe BES I don't know I've never used it)
__________________
8320 PIN: Guess Carrier: Guess OS: 5.0.0.29

Yo soy un noob. - Albert Einstein

Last edited by vmladenov : 09-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmladenov View Post
Wirelessly posted

I have no idea try checking your TCP/APN settings under options because you are on t-mobile (like me) you need to set the apn to wap.voicestream.com and don't touch anything else and save. Also if your firewall is on turn it off.

What OS 4.5 Gives you: overall unstable bb, no folder icons, no wallpapers, 1000000000 problems that others complain about. Do you really think that T-Mobile would hold back 4.5 if it worked flawlessly? Its like win xp and vista. Win XP is 4.2 and Vista is 4.5 still buggy but will get better with time.

Please listen to a person that gave up html email and vid cam to be able to make a call without restarting the phone. But, its your phone...

EDIT:Sorry I made a critical error. Opera Mini only works with BIS and Wi-Fi (and maybe BES I don't know I've never used it)
If Opera only works with BIS and WiFi, then it explains why mine doesn't work, as I don't have BIS but only regular TMO data service. Perhaps the only one time I thought it worked with EDGE, it was actually on someone else's WiFi that I didn't notice.

You could be right... I'm paying the price of instability in exchange for video recording, html email, video streaming, and Doc to go. I do like them but guess I can live without them too. Well I'll play with them a bit more until I can't bear no more and go back to 4.2. For the last couple weeks, it wasn't too bad. Except the slow down (actually it's hour glass every couple seconds) that happened only after 3 or 5 days of continuous use, I haven't experienced any crash.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehien View Post
Thanks for the advises. But I don't have BB service and only TMO data plan so internet email is all I get. Gmail and Google Search are convenient items that I use to access Gmail and online search. I can delete them if needed but I doubt them taking much space at all.

There are benefits running the Beta that I hope not to give up. But the OS shouldn't be much bigger, say, 20MB over, than 4.2, don't you think?

I've unchecked WiFi in Opera but it still can't access web pages through EDGE. I also tried both HTTP and Socket as Protocol with the same result.

The first time when I tried to reach a site in Opera, it asked me if it's ok to connect to "server4.operamini.com". Does it sound right? Though it didn't work whether I allowed it or not. The error messages are:
Failed to connect to the Internet.
900
java.lang.SecurityException:
javax.microedition.io.Connector.http
That's the right address: "server4.operamini.com"

If it's not the APN, double check the application permissions. Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Opera Mini then hit the BB/Option key >Edit Properties

Make sure it's all set to allow.

To free up memory, check this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
Offline  
Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
OS: W/E's out
PIN: Guess
Carrier: Quit trying to see my carrier!
Posts: 108
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Wait how does google maps work if you only have blackberry internet email
__________________
8320 PIN: Guess Carrier: Guess OS: 5.0.0.29

Yo soy un noob. - Albert Einstein
Offline  
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

If the OP is running on EDGE, shouldn't that mean he has BIS?
Offline  
Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmladenov
Wirelessly posted

Wait how does google maps work if you only have blackberry internet email
Don't know... It just works. We have the ancient T-zones plan from 5 yrs ago. I can access Gmail through BB browser or Gmail app. The Google Maps also works. There's an old thread discussing about it.
Offline  
Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix
If the OP is running on EDGE, shouldn't that mean he has BIS?
See the above post. I don't have BIS.
Offline  
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Oh okay, when I saw that you said EDGE that usually means BIS. Since you have wifi you should be able to use Opera Mini though. I recently got it to work and I don't have BIS.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This morning Opera Mini worked great at home with WiFi. Now I'm at work and it failed again. The error message is:
Error
Failed to connect to the Internet.
900
java.io.IOException: Tunnel failed

And this is for any web sites I tried.

Anyone knows what it means? Again BB browser works fine with the same links (over EDGE).
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.