BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #201 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Its TWO pieces of software. The Desktop Manager is only the conduit to load the OS. You have to install the OS to the computer, as well. Then DM can load it to the BB.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #202 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Do I need to save everything that is currently on my phone (pics, music, etc), or will it save everything and let it remain in its original location after the install?



Thanks much!!!!
Offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #203 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

It will backup and restore everything.
Offline  
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #204 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Hi, I am having an issue with upgrading:

I downloaded the most current DM, v4.6 (to desktop)
I downloaded the new OS v4.5.0 (to desktop)

When I open up DM, it does the upgrade default. I then choose application loader, and then Update applications. Immediately it says " no software update is required for your device". I then chose advanced, browse and went to desktop but it didnt see it because the OS is an .exe file (it is trying to find .alx and .ali). So, i then chose the option add/remove applications. This is basically the view of update apps. So I went to browse, but it did not see it.

**On both browse options, I chose all files on desktop and tried it that way but that did not work.

SO, i opened the .exe file of OS 4.5.0 for my 8330 and it said it was the install shield for the 8330 v 4.5.0 software. I went through it all (next, okay, etc) and it finished in maybe a minute, but my BB has not been updated.


Anything I might be doing wrong?


Thanks!
Offline  
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #205 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

You need to install the OS to the computer first. Double click on the OS .exe file and install it. Then delete the vendor.xml file. Then plug in the BB and run DM. It's all in the instructions above. You don't use the "Add" feature in DM. That's for .alx/.cod files.
Offline  
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #206 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 724
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm100378 View Post
Hi, I am having an issue with upgrading:

I downloaded the most current DM, v4.6 (to desktop)
I downloaded the new OS v4.5.0 (to desktop)

When I open up DM, it does the upgrade default. I then choose application loader, and then Update applications. Immediately it says " no software update is required for your device". I then chose advanced, browse and went to desktop but it didnt see it because the OS is an .exe file (it is trying to find .alx and .ali). So, i then chose the option add/remove applications. This is basically the view of update apps. So I went to browse, but it did not see it.

**On both browse options, I chose all files on desktop and tried it that way but that did not work.

SO, i opened the .exe file of OS 4.5.0 for my 8330 and it said it was the install shield for the 8330 v 4.5.0 software. I went through it all (next, okay, etc) and it finished in maybe a minute, but my BB has not been updated.


Anything I might be doing wrong?


Thanks!
Did you delete the Vendor XML file? C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and delete the Vendor XML file. Then Plug in device>Open DM> and step your way through.
Offline  
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #207 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You need to install the OS to the computer first. Double click on the OS .exe file and install it. Then delete the vendor.xml file. Then plug in the BB and run DM. It's all in the instructions above. You don't use the "Add" feature in DM. That's for .alx/.cod files.


Thanks, guys. I did delete the .xml file, but reinstalled the OS to the computer and it installed just fine.


Regards,
SM
Offline  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #208 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9800
OS: 6.x
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 412
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm100378 View Post
Thanks, guys. I did delete the .xml file, but reinstalled the OS to the computer and it installed just fine.


Regards,
SM
reinstalling the EXE on your computer simply places the new OS files on your computer. Following this, you need to delete vendor.xml and upgrade your device.

Please read the instructions in the first post and follow verbatim.
Offline  
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #209 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
projectkrsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: none
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hey guys,

ever since i upgraded to 4.5 im having issues with backlight dim.... its out of control. i want to have backlight stay on but even with auto dim option off, it still dimms whenever it feels like it. i tried BBlight but that doesnt work either... lol thinking about going back to 4.3 now. anybody having same issue?
Offline  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #210 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectkrsx View Post
hey guys,

ever since i upgraded to 4.5 im having issues with backlight dim.... its out of control. i want to have backlight stay on but even with auto dim option off, it still dimms whenever it feels like it. i tried BBlight but that doesnt work either... lol thinking about going back to 4.3 now. anybody having same issue?
Yeah, me too. It doesn't bother me enough to want to go back to 4.3, though.
Offline  
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #211 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: va
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.77
PIN: 31be0662
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

so the 4.6os will be available on the curve??? right sooner or later??? because i just upgraded it from 4.3os to the 4.5os hmm sorry im a nebbie i just got my 8330 umm.... like last tues 10.21.08 man i swear once you go blackberry you never go back ;p
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #212 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

after i installed 4.5 on my VZE 8330 i get a strange problem when i answer an incoming call. It acts like for a split second it will answer on speakerphone and then 1 second later it will be normal.

Any suggestions?
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #213 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
johnlatessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Model: iPh 5
OS: iOS 6.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 270
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasypooh View Post
so the 4.6os will be available on the curve??? right sooner or later??? because i just upgraded it from 4.3os to the 4.5os hmm sorry im a nebbie i just got my 8330 umm.... like last tues 10.21.08 man i swear once you go blackberry you never go back ;p
I would say not. 4.6 is for the Bold. Not sure what the Storm is running on.
__________________
8703e --> 8830 --> 8300 --> 9530 --> iP3G --> 9550 --> iP3Gs --> 9800 --> iP4 --> 9930 --> iP5
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #214 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
corybarwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philly
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.119
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brivalen View Post
after i installed 4.5 on my VZE 8330 i get a strange problem when i answer an incoming call. It acts like for a split second it will answer on speakerphone and then 1 second later it will be normal.

Any suggestions?
This is a pretty well discussed issue and as of yet, there don't appear to be any fixes. More than likely the issue will be resolved in a later release though.
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #215 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
corybarwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philly
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.119
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlatessa View Post
I would say not. 4.6 is for the Bold. Not sure what the Storm is running on.
Storm is going to be running 4.7 I believe.
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #216 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JLSchutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Download Times

Any idea why it took only a few seconds for me to download the 194 MB Desktop Manager, but it's taking more than 20 minutes to download the 68 MB BB OS 4.5? Anybody else experience these strange times?

As soon as the download finishes, I'm going to try the 4.5 installation on my Verizon 8330. Ever since I replaced an old Palm handheld with the BB, I've really missed DocsToGo and the capability of carrying around a number of important docs with me. Wish me luck!

--Jim--
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #217 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JLSchutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installation Problem

Here's a progress report on my attempted installation, and I need some help. The first step went well. I downloaded and installed Desktop Manager 4.6. I selected the English version with the Media Manager. Any problem there? Some info I found about the Media Manager sounded like something I might like to have.

Next, I clicked the Download here: link from the instructions in post #1, which caused the following file to be downloaded:

BB OS 4.5 8330uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel101_PL3.2.0.51_A4.5.0.77_Fas t_100.exe

That is the file that took 20+ minutes to download, so I suspect that might be related to the problem. Upon trying to execute that file, I first had to give permission (I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1). After clicking Allow, the error message "Error reading setup initialization file" popped up, and that was the end of the installation attempt.

To try a different approach, I went to the BlackBerry software web page and selected BlackBerry Device Software. The following info was displayed there:

==========

Upgrade

Upgrade to the latest BlackBerry® Device Software and unlock a whole new appreciation for your BlackBerry® smartphone.

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Professional Software Users

If your BlackBerry smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Professional Software, please contact your IT administrator to find out whether your organization supports BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.

Learn more about upgrading your BlackBerry smartphone software in an enterprise.

For All Other BlackBerry Smartphone Users

To download, simply connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer using your USB cable and then click the Upgrade button below*!

Note: You may need to download BlackBerry® Application Loader software to your desktop before the BlackBerry Device Software will begin downloading. If this is the case, you will be prompted to do so after clicking the Upgrade button. Click "Run", then follow the additional instructions in order to upgrade your smartphone’s software.

Please check the following items:

1. This page requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.
2. An ActiveX control provided by Research In Motion Ltd. needs to be installed to update your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Internet Explorer Information Bar, shown at the top of the page, and select "Install ActiveX Control..." to install this component.

==========

This does not sound like the recommended procedure in post #1 - that is, the BB page wants the BB device to be connected to the PC during the upgrade process. I don't want to try that at this point.

One more note of interest: When I followed the link in post #1 for the BB OS 4.5 software, I was on a page that said Software Download for Cellular South. Is this to be expected? Is there anything specific to that vendor in the software I downloaded?

I am currently trying the OS download again to see if results are any different. I've been informed again that this will take more than 20 minutes.

I'm running Firefox 3.0.3 - not Internet Explorer. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

--Jim--
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #218 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 724
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSchutt View Post
Here's a progress report on my attempted installation, and I need some help. The first step went well. I downloaded and installed Desktop Manager 4.6. I selected the English version with the Media Manager. Any problem there? Some info I found about the Media Manager sounded like something I might like to have.

Next, I clicked the Download here: link from the instructions in post #1, which caused the following file to be downloaded:

BB OS 4.5 8330uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel101_PL3.2.0.51_A4.5.0.77_Fas t_100.exe

That is the file that took 20+ minutes to download, so I suspect that might be related to the problem. Upon trying to execute that file, I first had to give permission (I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1). After clicking Allow, the error message "Error reading setup initialization file" popped up, and that was the end of the installation attempt.

To try a different approach, I went to the BlackBerry software web page and selected BlackBerry Device Software. The following info was displayed there:

==========

Upgrade

Upgrade to the latest BlackBerry® Device Software and unlock a whole new appreciation for your BlackBerry® smartphone.

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Professional Software Users

If your BlackBerry smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Professional Software, please contact your IT administrator to find out whether your organization supports BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.

Learn more about upgrading your BlackBerry smartphone software in an enterprise.

For All Other BlackBerry Smartphone Users

To download, simply connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer using your USB cable and then click the Upgrade button below*!

Note: You may need to download BlackBerry® Application Loader software to your desktop before the BlackBerry Device Software will begin downloading. If this is the case, you will be prompted to do so after clicking the Upgrade button. Click "Run", then follow the additional instructions in order to upgrade your smartphone’s software.

Please check the following items:

1. This page requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.
2. An ActiveX control provided by Research In Motion Ltd. needs to be installed to update your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Internet Explorer Information Bar, shown at the top of the page, and select "Install ActiveX Control..." to install this component.

==========

This does not sound like the recommended procedure in post #1 - that is, the BB page wants the BB device to be connected to the PC during the upgrade process. I don't want to try that at this point.

One more note of interest: When I followed the link in post #1 for the BB OS 4.5 software, I was on a page that said Software Download for Cellular South. Is this to be expected? Is there anything specific to that vendor in the software I downloaded?

I am currently trying the OS download again to see if results are any different. I've been informed again that this will take more than 20 minutes.

I'm running Firefox 3.0.3 - not Internet Explorer. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

--Jim--
The d/l time all depends on the server. I believe with Vista when you install OS to comp you have to "Run as Admin. Now go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and delete the Vendor XML file. After that plug in device>Open DM and it should prompt you to update.
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #219 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JLSchutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved

Ignore my previous post. I watched the second download of the OS 4.5 software very closely and discovered that the first download (the one I couldn't install) was about 4MB short of its 68MB total. Guess the download got interrupted and didn't finish properly. Installation went smoothly with the second downloaded file. Now to delete vendor.xml and plug in the BB!

--Jim--
Offline  
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #220 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 724
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSchutt View Post
Ignore my previous post. I watched the second download of the OS 4.5 software very closely and discovered that the first download (the one I couldn't install) was about 4MB short of its 68MB total. Guess the download got interrupted and didn't finish properly. Installation went smoothly with the second downloaded file. Now to delete vendor.xml and plug in the BB!

--Jim--
Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.