OK, so I downloaded another version of 4.6 (from the BlackBerry site, thanks to Daphne) and tried getting rid of the intellisync folder but that didn't work.
So, I tried syncing each outlook app by itself and all worked except for address book so I figured that's where the problem was and I went into Backup and Restore and removed the address book from the device thinking that I would just restore it again from a previous backup. But before I did that, my DM started acting up and didn't want to recognize my device for about 20 minutes so then by the time I got it to connect, I decided to just try syncing again since I have sync set for 2-way sync and my microsoft outlook was current since my sync worked just the other day.
Well, it worked, and the reason must have been that the application data that the intellisync was unable tor read was something that must have gotten corrupted in the address book itself.
What a nightmare. Well, at least I got it fixed. Hope this works for someone else.
I can't wait for the Javelin!