BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Recommend a car charger for 8310

Please Login to Remove!

I have a corporate 8310 on Vodafone network. I asked for a car charger and was given a Vodafone blackberry charger. Problem is it charges for a second and then doesn't anymore. Funny thing is one of our IT techies tried the very same charger with a HTC and hey presto it charged ok. There seems to be a compatibility issue between the 8310 and the Vodafone car charger. Asked IT if they could provide me with an alternative branded charger and was told that their hands are pretty much tied...........some IT support!!! Can anyone recommend a car charger that works well with an 8310? Maybe the Blackberry OEM car charger is ok is it?
Offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TXLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,067
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I prefer the iGo chargers. You can get different tips to use with different devices.

But, yeah, the OEM BB car charger is okay too.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OEM has always worked well for me with various models from the 6230 to the 8310.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Deraj090's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York, NY
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 368
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

I have an ebay non-branded and it works fine...mini-usb is mini-usb, for lack of a better term
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 55
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have not had much success with non BB home chargers let alone car chargers. For some reason my 8330 will not charge with any charger that is not a BB charger, regardless if it has the right connector.
__________________
I use a BlackBerry Enterprise Server with The Message Center hosted BES service www.themessagecenter.com
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I _only_ use the BlackBerry branded car charger. I've learned the hard way, and now only use chargers from the mfg of the phone. You can find these online at a good price, thus there is no reason to shortcut and use brand X. Why risk a BB that costs a few hundred dollars.
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use a motorola mini-usb for my 8330, garmin gps, plantronics headset and motorola hands-free speakerphone. Works just fine on all devices.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
I _only_ use the BlackBerry branded car charger. I've learned the hard way, and now only use chargers from the mfg of the phone. You can find these online at a good price, thus there is no reason to shortcut and use brand X. Why risk a BB that costs a few hundred dollars.
There are actually many good reasons to use another brand of charger. Probably most commonly, because you have multiple electronic items that charge from miniUSB, and you're smart enough to realize that USB is an industry specification, and therefore there's no good reason to carry around and use multiple chargers - and you're not risking your BB at all.

The only reason any miniUSB charger wouldn't charge your BB is if it doesn't supply enough power. Unless its defective, there's no way it can hurt your BB. And there's about as much chance of a defective BB branded one as there is with any other brand.
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!

Last edited by DallasFlier : 10-13-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyf View Post
I have a corporate 8310 on Vodafone network. I asked for a car charger and was given a Vodafone blackberry charger. Problem is it charges for a second and then doesn't anymore. Funny thing is one of our IT techies tried the very same charger with a HTC and hey presto it charged ok. There seems to be a compatibility issue between the 8310 and the Vodafone car charger. Asked IT if they could provide me with an alternative branded charger and was told that their hands are pretty much tied...........some IT support!!! Can anyone recommend a car charger that works well with an 8310? Maybe the Blackberry OEM car charger is ok is it?
I actually am experiencing this problem with my original car charger which came with my BB 8310. I tried to charge it in another car and no luck and I tried another car charger and no luck either.

I can charge in the mains and in my laptop, but not in a car, which is really bad since you need it for the GPS.

Someone knows why this might be happening?

Thanks

Fernando
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Ulukia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tau'ri
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.231
PIN: WYSIWYG
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 486
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf View Post
I prefer the iGo chargers. You can get different tips to use with different devices.

But, yeah, the OEM BB car charger is okay too.
I second the iGo.
__________________
| Vista Metal l Module Remover | Heatware |
"I guess once you start doubting, there's no end to it."
- Batou
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Ulukia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tau'ri
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.231
PIN: WYSIWYG
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 486
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandino View Post
I actually am experiencing this problem with my original car charger which came with my BB 8310. I tried to charge it in another car and no luck and I tried another car charger and no luck either.

I can charge in the mains and in my laptop, but not in a car, which is really bad since you need it for the GPS.

Someone knows why this might be happening?

Thanks

Fernando
It's possible what your seeing is the start of the USB port breaking. This was very common with the 8800, mine as well, and from investigating I've noticed that a lot of USB chargers pull on the port in one direction or another causing stress on the solder points by the extra weight the ends exert on it. The traditional USB cable for data connections are small and light but for some reason the chargers have thicker ends or bulkier cables. To compound the issue most of us use a cradle to hold the Blackberry at eye level while traveling and like most cars the Power Outlet is below thus gravity is pulling against the cable and thus the port downward.
This is only my opinion.
__________________
| Vista Metal l Module Remover | Heatware |
"I guess once you start doubting, there's no end to it."
- Batou
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 188
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulukia View Post
I second the iGo.
I third the iGo charger. I have it and use it to charge my GPS, camera, and bb, all of which uses the mini-usb port. Bonus: tips are changeable for other phones, ipods and the like.
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

go to newegg.com and get the Real Blackberry Car Charger, it comes in Authentic Blackberry packaging and is not an off brand and no danger of hurting your Blackberry.
I got one and it is the exact same charger you buy from Blackberry's Store online. It is authentic!
Look for item number N82E16875999266 on newegg.

The home charger they sell is original BB also, it ias the same as came with my 8330.
Offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auart View Post
go to newegg.com and get the Real Blackberry Car Charger, it comes in Authentic Blackberry packaging and is not an off brand and no danger of hurting your Blackberry.
I got one and it is the exact same charger you buy from Blackberry's Store online. It is authentic!
Look for item number N82E16875999266 on newegg.

The home charger they sell is original BB also, it ias the same as came with my 8330.
Disagree. Don't pay more for an OEM BB branded charger.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.