BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Read (and write) Simplified Chinese

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I'm completely new to my BlackBerry so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have the need to be able to read and write simplified Chinese on my Blackberry. Right now it shows up as little black boxes wherever the characters are supposed to be. Is it possible to fix this? If so, anybody feel like taking the time to walk me through it?

On a second note, if it is at all possible for me to write Chinese characters that would be great. It's not terribly important but it would definitely be convenient.

Any help would be appreciated!
Offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschguy View Post
Hey guys, I'm completely new to my BlackBerry so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have the need to be able to read and write simplified Chinese on my Blackberry. Right now it shows up as little black boxes wherever the characters are supposed to be. Is it possible to fix this? If so, anybody feel like taking the time to walk me through it?

On a second note, if it is at all possible for me to write Chinese characters that would be great. It's not terribly important but it would definitely be convenient.

Any help would be appreciated!
choose one of the OS upgrades with "East Asian Language Support", follow the upgrade instruction, check the language and input options for installation and you will have the additional (to English) language once the App Loader completes its job. Reading is always there. You switch between English and Chinese input modes by going thru Menu selection or by Alt+Return key.
Offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there an easy way to do this on a Mac? I'm not finding anything.
Offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There aren't any "East Asian" options either, they're all "Multilanguage". I installed that and while I can read Chinese, I still can't write. Any workaround? Or did I not do it right?
Offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschguy View Post
There aren't any "East Asian" options either, they're all "Multilanguage". I installed that and while I can read Chinese, I still can't write. Any workaround? Or did I not do it right?
All the other 83x0 models have the East Asian support in the recent OS releases (on top of the Forum message board). Can it be GSM vs. CDMA? I have limited myself to GSM phones for years due to the countries I travel and stay. Did you check if Chinese is included in the "multilanguage" pack? Isn't CDMA also used in China or some other Asian countries?

I haven't touched any Mac for a long time. Can't help you there either. Sorry.
Offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not that I saw, I can now write Spanish and French (yippie), but I didn't see anything on Chinese. I think I may be out of luck in that department. As long as I can read, that was the important thing. If I ever have to respond I'll just wait til I'm able to sit at my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8320 View Post
I haven't touched any Mac for a long time. Can't help you there either. Sorry.
No worries, I used my girlfriends XP box.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.