BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/)
-   -   GPS program w/o a service plan? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/184596-gps-program-w-o-service-plan.html)

ddavis89325is 04-05-2009 03:17 PM

GPS program w/o a service plan?
 
Is it possible to use a Blackberry 8310 as a hand held GPS unit with a downloaded program without a service plan? I have access to several Blackberry's but do not want to put a service plan on them. Thanks!

fiffer 04-05-2009 03:20 PM

To my knowledge no.

Dubdub 04-05-2009 03:49 PM

Check the GPS and Maps section. There is a sticky at the top that details all of the better known map applications.

With no data plan, you are much better off getting a stand alone GPS device, rather than trying to use one on your phone.

Most map applications download data and maps as you move and that cannot be stored on the device itself. There are a couple that can be downloaded and you can purchase a Garmin version, but again, given the costs, go buy a stand alone unit.

HalconNocturno 04-05-2009 04:24 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

I don't have a data plan and I can use Goggle Maps in my Bold

Dubdub 04-05-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalconNocturno (Post 1343333)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

I don't have a data plan and I can use Goggle Maps in my Bold

Have you looked at your data bill recently? Or are you using a "generic" data plan perhaps? GoogleMaps, like most other map applications downloads map data as it is required. Map data cannot be stored on the device itself. If you are using GoogleMaps for navigation purposes, you are using a lot of data.

HalconNocturno 04-05-2009 05:34 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

I have a prepaid plan, and when I've checked my credit the BB is eating all my money I've bought a package of 50MB yesterday and today I have 32 available, next week I will change to an unlimited data plan

Irish Rose 04-05-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1343392)
GoogleMaps, like most other map applications downloads map data as it is required. Map data cannot be stored on the device itself. If you are using GoogleMaps for navigation purposes, you are using a lot of data.

I agree. I have the Google maps App. on my BB, and can confirm that using it does use up a lot of data. Anyone that is using it on prepaid should keep a close eye on their data balance before it is all gone. People that have an unlimited data plan don't have to worry.

Irish Rose 04-05-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalconNocturno (Post 1343400)
I have a prepaid plan, and when I've checked my credit the BB is eating all my money I've bought a package of 50MB yesterday and today I have 32 available, next week I will change to an unlimited data plan

The unlimited data plan should save you money in the long run, especially if you plan on using Google maps a great deal of time.

takeshi 04-05-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1343299)
There are a couple that can be downloaded and you can purchase a Garmin version, but again, given the costs, go buy a stand alone unit.

Cost isn't even really the major issue IMO. The two options that work without data just aren't worth the hassle. Definitely check out the options in the GPS subforum as YMMV.

BlackberryPro 04-06-2009 02:34 AM

You can try using a WIFI connection on some of the new Blackberries to access the maps.

DallasFlier 04-06-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackberryPro (Post 1343726)
You can try using a WIFI connection on some of the new Blackberries to access the maps.

Kinda hard to get that WiFi signal to follow me in the car, and if I'm sitting still at a WiFi hotspot location, I already know where I'm at without consulting a map. ;-)

kathrynhr 04-07-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 1344225)
Kinda hard to get that WiFi signal to follow me in the car, and if I'm sitting still at a WiFi hotspot location, I already know where I'm at without consulting a map. ;-)

LOL! I wish I had your abilities. I never seem to know where I am. :oops:

skyedream 04-07-2009 06:31 PM

i tried maps with wifi at home and my BB couldn't load the maps...
even on the wifi, with out data plans it won't work.

HalconNocturno 04-07-2009 06:40 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9000)

Check your TCP/IP settings...

I have a Bold without BB plan and I can use Google Maps


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.