BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Curve 8330 Performance Problems =/

Please Login to Remove!

I am new here guys! I have kinda been checking around the site since i bought the phone but now i am finally registered.

Anyhow, I am with Verizon Wireless and have a BB Curve 8330. I have Mobile Banking, Shazam, Facebook, Aim, Brickbreaker and Connect Four on my phone and the phone has just recently started to lag REALLY bad. I had a lot more on that and it was fine, but since the lagging issues i deleted the crap. Anyhow it is still kind of slow, just trying to type a text or scooting around the main menu when nothing else is running.

I can deal with that if i have NO choice, but one thing i can not deal with is the lack of messages that are coming in.

People have been complaining that i ignore them or don't reply. I either never get the messages or hours/days later i get 20+ emails all at once and same with text messages. Why is that? I need some answers, i am going nuts. Paying $30 a month extra for crap that wont work!

This looks like a great site with a lot of knowledge about these phones. I hope someone has had this problem and can help me.
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Let's start by checking out how much free memory you have on the BB. Anything less than 12mb will cause problems.

Options / Status will tell you the free memory.
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Let's start by checking out how much free memory you have on the BB. Anything less than 12mb will cause problems.

Options / Status will tell you the free memory.

it says File Free: 34801379 bytes..?
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Well, it's not free space - that's for sure.

What applications are open? Press and hold the menu key (that should do it).
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Well, it's not free space - that's for sure.

What applications are open? Press and hold the menu key (that should do it).
doesn't work??
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Can't keep track of all the different OS versions.

From the main screen (with all of the icons on it) can you click the menu key and select Switch Application to see what's running?
Offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

I think that only works on Storms. For Curves, to see what's running in the background, press and hold down ALT and then press the back/escape key (between trackball and END).

There are some programs that you can't close: home, browser, BBM, call/phone log, and messages.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

I think that only works on Storms. For Curves, to see what's running in the background, press and hold down ALT and then press the back/escape key (between trackball and END).

There are some programs that you can't close: home, browser, BBM, call/phone log, and messages.

The programs you listed above are the ONLY ones running in the background =/.... Why is my phone laggy and not receiving messages..? The message problem just started this week..
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Could be a carrier issue. Have you tried contacting your provider and seeing if there was an issue in your area?

Also, not sure if you've mentioned it yet, but have you done a battery pull lately?
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Could be a carrier issue. Have you tried contacting your provider and seeing if there was an issue in your area?

Also, not sure if you've mentioned it yet, but have you done a battery pull lately?
I pull it every few hours just to give it a fresh start.. Yeah i guess it is a provider issue..
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
monkeee2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: boise, Idaho
Model: 8330m
PIN: s and needles
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Try dialing *228, choose option 2. That will insure your BB is looking at the correct tower. I have experienced what appears to be lag when my BB is not getting a good tower signal.
Doing a battery pull is good every day or so, but every few hours makes it seem like there's a problem.
Do you have a memory card?
If so, try running without it for a day, see if it gets better.
If not, do you have a lot of media items (pics, songs, ringtones) saved to your device?

Did this problem begin after recently installing a new app?
__________________
LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeee2002 View Post
Try dialing *228, choose option 2. That will insure your BB is looking at the correct tower. I have experienced what appears to be lag when my BB is not getting a good tower signal.
Doing a battery pull is good every day or so, but every few hours makes it seem like there's a problem.
Do you have a memory card?
If so, try running without it for a day, see if it gets better.
If not, do you have a lot of media items (pics, songs, ringtones) saved to your device?

Did this problem begin after recently installing a new app?

No new apps, latest one was a good month ago but i no longer even have it. As for a media card i have a 2GB card BUT i have 4 pictures on it and nothing else. Is it possible to save pictures to the phone itself? Where can i access this to see if there are any i can delete. I will try the *228 option 2..
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.