BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
clyde_turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Great White North
Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

I think it's very simple as to why there are three versions of it. No doubt they will offer each one to the carriers to decide. Cingular/AT&T will probably forgo the WIFI fearture as they don't have a UMA solution that will be available in the summer when these units are due to arrive. T-Mobile would choose either of the 8320 or 83xx for use with their UMA access. Lastly maybe the non-gps version was a request by a carrier or a large volume client. Remember there are a lot fo corporate clients that do not want WIFI or GPS or just GPS.

By speculation take it for what it's worth (not a lot)
__________________
Clyde
Offline  
Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Jagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Posts: 862
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
If you don't care about WiFi and want it now, the 8800 is a great choice.
Hmm here are some VERY impressive and compelling reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPhoneHome
People want wifi to be able to use the UMA service that T-Mobile has been testing that allows you to seamlessly switch, even while mid call, from using normal cellular minutes to wifi VOIP, which is unlimited.
Remember RIMS first foray into WiFi, the 7270? EVERYONE doesn't remember that - consumers usually on BIS because its a BES only device.

PBX baby!!! Corporate Executives will LOVE THIS feature! And Cingular better be scared if Tmobile gets this along with their UMA technology working. You wanna talk about CRACKBERRY - Naturopathic practitioners ... get ready for a pay increase! Imagine you're a CEO/CFO/chairman or manager of a huge department where you MUST be in contact at all times.

Forget that Cisco phone or keep it in the office. You leave your desk for a meeting, your Cisco network PBX phone line is now your BB Telly over WiFi PBX protocol. You leave the office early to rende-vous for a luncheon meeting, that PBX line is still with you (Ringtones set for office are seperate from your personal service) - here is were extra revenues for providers come in and hopefully cingular can cash in for specific voicemail search/retrieval. Making calls to work #'s automatically SHOULD/CAN show the PBX Office Line in the Call display, personal numbers are from the cellular providers line service - (BOTH # in the address book, GAB lookup or SIM card should be automatic with minimal adjustment from the end user).

Now that same user goes home connected to his UMA service with a provider like TMobile USA, and a major outtage happens at the office call center or network or WHATEVER. Now a personal in my position wants to lookup whomever is ON-CALL to support a specific function/app (programmer maybe?) and just 1 # is listed. I worry about reaching that person or if the line is changed (different coverage market segments when that person moves from one city to another Ft Worth to say Houston TX) the line MUST change at the provider. BUT if its the office line ... BINGO I got him ( I know where you live ;) lol )

OR we can use it on a personal level like such ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Here's an interesting non-standard use for you. I have a old, ancient laptop that sits under my stereo system that has a WiFi card and music web management interface; it's purpose in life is to play streaming internet radio stations to the stereo receiver as well as local MP3s off hard disk -- it does this incredibly well. 1997 technology is still useful.

old screenshot:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pop/momo_1.png

I look forward to WiFi on my next crackberry so I can change the radio station.
(EDITED to be concise as possible without missing your point). Dude I so badly wanna do this on my upcoming MAC!!! excellent info. We'll be in touch you Linux guru.

Does that open your eyes you nay-sayers to the usuage & importance of WiFi?!
Offline  
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
FarSeide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NOR*CAL
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 178
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well its good thing I was still within my 30 days. Returned the phone today and picked up a refurbed 8700 for $99. This should hold me up til the Bears make the shelves.

Thanks for posting this info fellows. This saved me some money...
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
rcm
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmkam
From the BG report on the three different "bear" versions what's anyones guess as to which one AT&T/Cingular will offer?
well if just to place a wild guess but who knows. AT&T will release the least features or lock them out anyway... and BG had the baby bear with AT&T screenshots. Hope for the best but we Cing/AT&T fans might even get the best but then Cing/AT&T could lop off features anyway.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #45 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Jagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Posts: 862
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

wow I posted my response above on a laptop at 11pm EST March 13th and my settings on this forum is set to DST & EST yet it didn't show up for todays date 4 hours later?

I'm holding out till the 8820 (GPS & WiFi comes along - I like its styling better. I'll miss a camera that my Pearl has - not too shabby really) until better design of the 83xx show up. or until the 9XXX comes along. who knows.

Good times ahead RIM good times.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #46 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm still within my 30 day trail period of the 8800, I was really thinking hard about just returning the 8800 today and wait til May/Jun/Jul for the 8300 to come out and just use my Treo 750 in the main time. But then I started asking myself. What is the big difference between these two? I don't think its a lot to warrant an exchange, at least for me. The biggest turnoff is that the 8300 is still using the same ol' GUI with a minor tweak here and there. Not crazy about the silver front housing, I definitely prefer the all black/dark blue even though I don't like the chrome sides of my 8800. I will wait until the 9xxx come out with all new processors and new GUI.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #47 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
well if just to place a wild guess but who knows. AT&T will release the least features or lock them out anyway... and BG had the baby bear with AT&T screenshots. Hope for the best but we Cing/AT&T fans might even get the best but then Cing/AT&T could lop off features anyway.
I guess so but so far they've only really kept BBmaps off the 8800 which can be worked-around. They haven't outright disabled any features like, say, Verizon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
wow I posted my response above on a laptop at 11pm EST March 13th and my settings on this forum is set to DST & EST yet it didn't show up for todays date 4 hours later?
Forum time zone or something is set differently. I posted this at 10:33 CST but look at the timestamp...

Last edited by takeshi : 03-14-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Posts: 97
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[quote=wangta01]I really want the Camera and GPS with the smaller form factor and spaced keyboard. I don't much care for the Wifi - I mean honestly, browsing on the tiny screen is a pain in the butt. What else would you really need Wifi for? EDGE does fine for me for weather updates, jivetalk, googlemaps (rarely use, only when lost). Is there something I'm missing with the whole WIFI bandwagon?QUOTE]


Since RIM can't seem to produce a 3G Cingular/T-Mobile device, WiFi will help when you want to access the Internet while on the phone.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #49 (permalink)
rcm
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I guess so but so far they've only really kept BBmaps off the 8800 which can be worked-around. They haven't outright disabled any features like, say, Verizon...
The reason I said that was because I'm still using the 8700c and have issues with MMS. My Cing account has mms ability, because when I move my sim to my Motorola v551 i get mms just fine and get charged correctly. I've tried all the settings and asking Cingular to add the correct WAP info to my account and still no go. But that is another fourm section
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[quote=supermanfan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
I really want the Camera and GPS with the smaller form factor and spaced keyboard. I don't much care for the Wifi - I mean honestly, browsing on the tiny screen is a pain in the butt. What else would you really need Wifi for? EDGE does fine for me for weather updates, jivetalk, googlemaps (rarely use, only when lost). Is there something I'm missing with the whole WIFI bandwagon?QUOTE]


Since RIM can't seem to produce a 3G Cingular/T-Mobile device, WiFi will help when you want to access the Internet while on the phone.

For me it's not so much the ability to cruise the web on the BB, It's the ability to add third party software like Skype (if they decide to create for BB) that would allow me to use my BB with my skype number. Or if RIM would release a 3G BB then that would work too. Currently Skype has a version that works on Windows smart phones and works via 3G.

Buddha
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta, Georgia
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 193
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Let me get this straight. I have Cingular/AT&T currently. If I get an unlocked 8820, will I be able to use Cingular/AT&T for service, but ssurf on T-Mobile's HotSpots?
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mas90guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Connecticut
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 655
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger
I'm still within my 30 day trail period of the 8800, I was really thinking hard about just returning the 8800 today and wait til May/Jun/Jul for the 8300 to come out and just use my Treo 750 in the main time. But then I started asking myself. What is the big difference between these two? I don't think its a lot to warrant an exchange, at least for me. The biggest turnoff is that the 8300 is still using the same ol' GUI with a minor tweak here and there. Not crazy about the silver front housing, I definitely prefer the all black/dark blue even though I don't like the chrome sides of my 8800. I will wait until the 9xxx come out with all new processors and new GUI.

Keys and side creaks are two main issues with the 8800. Who knows what issues might lurk with the 8300. Too early to tell.
__________________
http://www.s-consult.com
Schulz Consulting
Sage MAS 90 and MAS 200 Support and Consulting
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #53 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru
Keys and side creaks are two main issues with the 8800. Who knows what issues might lurk with the 8300. Too early to tell.
Yep it looks kinda like the 8700 build and the dust is ready to get under the screen!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.