BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just got my Curve, questions and concerns

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my Curve today, using AT&T. I like it so far, but I've got a few questions and concerns about it.

Firstly, I notice (I've got fairly sensitive ears) an audible interference in the background when making a call on the handset. It sounds a bit like the interference you hear when you're near a set of speakers, only I'm out in the middle of the yard, 50 meters from anything eletronic. It goes away when the other person on the line or I speak, then immediately comes back. Is this normal Curve behavior?

Secondly, I bought a Motorola H700 headset along with the phone. Charged it up, paired it easily, and used it a few times. With the phone in my pocket, I notice a lot of random crackling going on, completely sporadic. This is in an area with 4-5 bars of reception. Is this the headset, or the Curve, or the network?

Thirdly, I put my old SIM card in, which has all my stored numbers, but whenever I go to make a call, send a text, etc., the Curve doesn't find any of the numbers. However, if I then enter them manually and dial, it lists the name that belongs with that number as it dials. Is there a way to force the contents of the SIM card into the address book, or to make the Curve look to the SIM card for numbers too?
Offline  
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can comment on the noise issue. I hear it on my Curve as well. Sounds like faint static of some sort. Kinda like Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it comes and goes, depending on the state of the call.
Offline  
Old 07-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Dream Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bothell WA
Model: 8220
OS: 4.6.0.200
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 159
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidus View Post
Thirdly, I put my old SIM card in, which has all my stored numbers, but whenever I go to make a call, send a text, etc., the Curve doesn't find any of the numbers. However, if I then enter them manually and dial, it lists the name that belongs with that number as it dials. Is there a way to force the contents of the SIM card into the address book, or to make the Curve look to the SIM card for numbers too?
While in the address book window press the the menu button and you should have an option to copy to address book select it and press the track ball. Then it should ask if you want to copy all and say yes. This copies all the contacts from your SIM to the address book on the phone.
__________________
If you are going to dream - DREAM LARGE
Offline  
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidus View Post
Just got my Curve today, using AT&T. I like it so far, but I've got a few questions and concerns about it.

Firstly, I notice (I've got fairly sensitive ears) an audible interference in the background when making a call on the handset. It sounds a bit like the interference you hear when you're near a set of speakers, only I'm out in the middle of the yard, 50 meters from anything eletronic. It goes away when the other person on the line or I speak, then immediately comes back. Is this normal Curve behavior?

Secondly, I bought a Motorola H700 headset along with the phone. Charged it up, paired it easily, and used it a few times. With the phone in my pocket, I notice a lot of random crackling going on, completely sporadic. This is in an area with 4-5 bars of reception. Is this the headset, or the Curve, or the network?

Thirdly, I put my old SIM card in, which has all my stored numbers, but whenever I go to make a call, send a text, etc., the Curve doesn't find any of the numbers. However, if I then enter them manually and dial, it lists the name that belongs with that number as it dials. Is there a way to force the contents of the SIM card into the address book, or to make the Curve look to the SIM card for numbers too?
I have gone through three of them and they all have the same interference noise, so don't bother swapping. For some reason, no matter what bluetooth headset I use so far, the 8300 definitely doesn't have the range that my 8700 has. With my phone on my belt it has static, like the Bluetooth is out of range. I also can't seem to walk past 15 ft from it either. So far I have tried using the Plantronics voyager 510, and the moto H700 and H500. Same thing on all. Work flawless on 8700 and then have shorter range and static on all three 8300's that I tried. Don't know what to say.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bc7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Utah
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 146
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can I just say how excited I am to finally know that other people hear that damn buzzing noise on their phones as well! I thought I was going crazy, my wife thought I was just making it up so I could have an excuse to exchange my Curve for something else. Yay for me!


But sorry about your phone man... that sucks.
__________________
"The lesson as always, I'm an idiot."
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies guys. Got my address book ported over nicely.

I like the device enough to live with the noise, and I use the headset most of the time (crackling is tolerable, I guess). Really wish the bluetooth had a bit more range though, seems like a cop out. Oh well.
Offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
diegosalinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 90
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Rider View Post
While in the address book window press the the menu button and you should have an option to copy to address book select it and press the track ball. Then it should ask if you want to copy all and say yes. This copies all the contacts from your SIM to the address book on the phone.
can't figure the way to copy Curve's address book to new SIM card...

any suggestions...cant find a post for the curve
__________________
BlackBerry 8310
Offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

You can't copy the entire address book to the sim card. You can copy one number from each name (one by one) to the sim card. You can copy the sim card contents to the BB address book in one step, but not vice versa.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.