BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default is the curve memory leak tied to empower HTML viewer? (SMS and call log loss)

Please Login to Remove!

hi,

just wondering if anyone else noticed that whenever sms and call logs are lost it is usually during opening a email that has lots of html links to pictures? I start out with 18Meg free after a reboot but it goes to zero after a while. The only thing that i can think of is empower cause it is loading so many pictures.

does the latest os fix this issue?

thanks,
eric
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Eric,

You might be onto something. If you press alt + enter what applications are showing as running in the background? If you don't properly close applications you just send them to the background where the will eat memory always use Menu + close (or exit) to end the application not the red key.
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Eric,

You might be onto something. If you press alt + enter what applications are showing as running in the background? If you don't properly close applications you just send them to the background where the will eat memory always use Menu + close (or exit) to end the application not the red key.
I typically close all my programs and don't leave them running. I never had the sms/call log (and sometimes email) loss until empower. i like empower, just wondering if there might be a bug. more questions to think about: does empower use a image cache? does it properly release the memory when an email is closed.

Hopefully ani can make a comment....

Eric
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas TX
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sounds like you might be on to something Eric. I too have had the call log/sms issue, never had it on my 8700 but also never had empower installed.

Thatzmister2u how do you see which programs are running? I tried alt + enter but it just locked my phone.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
psyct1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pearl City, HI
Model: iPhon
OS: iPhone3.0
PIN: ask
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicb View Post
Sounds like you might be on to something Eric. I too have had the call log/sms issue, never had it on my 8700 but also never had empower installed.

Thatzmister2u how do you see which programs are running? I tried alt + enter but it just locked my phone.
it is Alt+Back key, make sure you hold down the Alt key, otherwise it will not stay on the screen
__________________
-Cliff
Semper Marine
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
cayzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Carolina
Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 306
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Same problem here! I didn't realize what was going on. I love Empower, don't get me wrong. But if I leave it set to open in HTML by default my memory continues to drop throughout the day until I finally have to reboot. If I don't have it set to open to HTML by default then memory stays constant. I also have a Curve.

Ani, is there anything you can do about this?
__________________
950->957->7510->7520->8700->CURVE!
Offline  
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
psyct1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pearl City, HI
Model: iPhon
OS: iPhone3.0
PIN: ask
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayzac View Post
Same problem here! I didn't realize what was going on. I love Empower, don't get me wrong. But if I leave it set to open in HTML by default my memory continues to drop throughout the day until I finally have to reboot. If I don't have it set to open to HTML by default then memory stays constant. I also have a Curve.

Ani, is there anything you can do about this?
if you have an microSD card, move ALL your media to the card...

Also try this, first, go to your SMS/MMS inbox, and go back a month, hit the BB key, and select "Delete Prior"... then go back to your SMS/MMS Folder, hit the BB key, go to "Options->General Options" and where it says "Keep Messages" select "30 Days"... now our device will delete all messages that are older than 30 days...

It will help if you don't need to keep older MMS/SMS messages... if you do need/want to keep them... I'd just delete the ones you don't need, could take some time though

i have mine set to only keep messages for 30 days and i have 22MB of storage left on my phone...
__________________
-Cliff
Semper Marine
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 205
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

no offence, but any background program can cause a memory leak.. but on my phone..

never noticed a memory leak, and empower doesn't run in the background, only when i open emails.

so yes, memory leaks and lack of memory can happen, but dont blame programs right off the back.

I could say, Jivetalk, games ANYTHING can cause a memory juice, its just up to YOU to make sure u CLOSE THEM and not just back out of them. Like when people press the phone button to get to the front real quick, and forget their runnin a game or app.

really its about closin your progiess..

and as far as i've seen btw, empower auto closes when not in email view on my blackberry.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Lex Luthor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;
Posts: 1,620
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use empower and I have not experienced any memory leaks with my BlackBerry Curve.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
ani
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel
Posts: 298
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnd4pnd View Post
I typically close all my programs and don't leave them running. I never had the sms/call log (and sometimes email) loss until empower. i like empower, just wondering if there might be a bug. more questions to think about: does empower use a image cache? does it properly release the memory when an email is closed.

Hopefully ani can make a comment....

Eric
cayzac, Thanks for bringing this thread to our attention.

I doubt EMV would cause memory leaks because we are not leaving any open object handles anywhere in our code but we will investigate it anyway.

Abt the cache - EMV does not use any cache so there shouldn't be an issue with cache growing up and eating your space.

Thanks,
Ani.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
cayzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Carolina
Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 306
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
if you have an microSD card, move ALL your media to the card...

Also try this, first, go to your SMS/MMS inbox, and go back a month, hit the BB key, and select "Delete Prior"... then go back to your SMS/MMS Folder, hit the BB key, go to "Options->General Options" and where it says "Keep Messages" select "30 Days"... now our device will delete all messages that are older than 30 days...

It will help if you don't need to keep older MMS/SMS messages... if you do need/want to keep them... I'd just delete the ones you don't need, could take some time though

i have mine set to only keep messages for 30 days and i have 22MB of storage left on my phone...
Thanks for the reply but none of this pertains. Yes I have a microSD card and all of my pictures, videos, music, etc. are there, but that's not what I'm talking about. And I don't use SMS/MMS messages, only email.
I do have lots of other applications on my Curve but all I know is if I have Empower set to open to HTML by default as the day goes by I will run out of memory until it finally goes all the way down to zero. Resulting in me having to reboot at which time all my memory comes back. If l leave the default as Text the memory stays constant. I've done lots of tests with this over the last week and that is the only common denominator. I know it sounds strange but that has been my experience.
__________________
950->957->7510->7520->8700->CURVE!
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Before everyone jumps on this bandwagon and crucifies Ani and Empower let's take a step back and really look at this problem.

First of all, this was a common problem with the Pearl. It has been occuring since December of last year. Well before Ani had even thought of releasing his software.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ease-help.html

It is likely that RIM has developed some scheme for managing memory. When memory gets low, it seems to start delete messages, call logs, etc. in an attempt to free memory.

Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ

What everyone could be seeing is the memory intensity of the Empower program that brings the problem to the forefront. I would imagine that loading all of these HTML images meant to be displayed on desktop PC can be fairly memory intensive. This drives the devices into it's memory "cleanup" mode.

Memory appears to be restored after a hard reset, but you probably haven't started JiveTalk, Opera, BBrowser, Google Maps, Gmail, etc and allowed these programs to start hogging memory. I've noticed that the Blackberry is notorious for leaving programs running in the background that I thought I had closed. I often times look at my task manager and close unneccesary applications. I have never seen this disappearing email problem.

If you wanted to truly start a case against Ani and Empower I would suggest removing ALL third party apps from your device. Only then can you truly create a controlled environment for testing.

On a side note,

The Blackberry (and Java) natively implements automatic garbage collection.

Livelink - Redirection

I haven't messed too much with developing in Java in the Blackberry Enviroment, but since the Empower program is not actively running unless you are viewing an email a memory leak is unlikely since the garbage collection would clean up any memory not properly released by the program itself.

Just my two cents,

-David

Last edited by BGCapt10 : 07-19-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

is was not out to crucify ani, just merely pointing out i didnt see this problem before emv and i tend to lose my sms, etc while opening a mail in emv. i have seen all the posts and rim articles you mentioned and they didnt help. i don't see an issue bringing it up and asking the developer to check it out. notice i didnt post emv IS causing the problem i asked the question.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
LarryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Studio City, CA
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 209
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know I read some talk about AT&T's original OS suffering from a bit of a memory leak. One of the posters over at Pinstack (a mod, I believe) said that switching to the Optus OS has remedied that. Could this be the problem?

The Latest Curve OS from Optus Mobile Pty Limited (chinese/english ONLY) - Page 4 - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

Post #99
__________________
Drinks with Larry and Lauren (A Podcast)
http://www.drinkswithlarryandlauren.com

Last edited by LarryH : 07-19-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
jetspeedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I dont believe EMV is the problem.. sounds like the LMM is kicking in b/c of everything else hogging up the memory.. consider yourselves lucky that it only deletes the SMS/Call log... on my 7290 it would wipe out all the old important emails and when i say old i mean only a few weeks old as i delete unwanted emails from the bb regularly... the newer models 87xx,88xx,83xx have much more efficient LMM then the older models.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I dont believe EMV is the problem.. sounds like the LMM is kicking in b/c of everything else hogging up the memory.. consider yourselves lucky that it only deletes the SMS/Call log... on my 7290 it would wipe out all the old important emails and when i say old i mean only a few weeks old as i delete unwanted emails from the bb regularly... the newer models 87xx,88xx,83xx have much more efficient LMM then the older models.
oh, i've lost ALL my email several times now.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
ani
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel
Posts: 298
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnd4pnd View Post
oh, i've lost ALL my email several times now.
Eric, thats bad! If you believe EMV is the problem, I will recommend you to uninstall it. Your emails are more important than the program.

EMV is being used by so many people that I doubt we have a memory leak - it would have been discovered long back. But as I said before, we will investigate it anyway.

Thanks!
Ani.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
Eric, thats bad! If you believe EMV is the problem, I will recommend you to uninstall it. Your emails are more important than the program.

EMV is being used by so many people that I doubt we have a memory leak - it would have been discovered long back. But as I said before, we will investigate it anyway.

Thanks!
Ani.
i upgraded the OS to the latest. let's see if that helps.

eric
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
macallik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.656
PIN: askMe
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I haven't experienced any memory leaks. I have the curve also.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
cayzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Carolina
Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 306
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Very strange...for the last 2 days I've been leaving Text by default and toggling over to HTML occasionally. My memory stayed constant for 2 full days. Today I change it to HTML by default and I just had to reboot because I was down to 2 megs free. I'm using AT&T's lastest OS, not Optus. I wonder if that would make a difference? Its definitely Empower's HTML rendering (I love the app, please don't get me wrong and I'm not beating up Ani, I love Empower) but I wonder what its conflicting with? I'm at a loss. I haven't lost any messages, no call logs, nothing. Its just that my memory drains down to zero after using HTML for about a day. I can recreate it at any time.
__________________
950->957->7510->7520->8700->CURVE!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.