BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
J-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ridley Park, PA USA
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default A few More Curve/BB Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all.

I have a few more questions about using my new Curve that I cannot seem to find any information on:
  • Keyboard Lock: I found a nice tip about how to enable the keyboard lock from the home screen when "Dialing from Home Screen" is selected.

    However when I use the *A + Green Phone buttons to unlock the keyboard, whatever application whose icon had focus when the keyboard was locked is automatically started. E.g., if the cursor is on the Messages icon when I lock the keyboard, Messages opens as soon as I unlock the keyboard. Occasionally it unlocks directly to the Home screen, but that is the exception.

    Why does this happen? How can I unlock it and stay on the Home screen?
  • BES-Only Features: As my contract was almost up with AT&T I was eligible for a phone upgrade, so I dumped my WM 8125 and decided to go with a Curve. While I am very happy with it for the most part, there are some fairly basic features that are apparently not available unless you are connected to an Enterprise server. (BES) E.g., adding a signature to email messages. The Help file indicates that I can set up a signature for each email account by selecting that option in the Options section for each account. But my Curve has no such option. A closer reading of that Help topic shows that you need to connect to a BES to use signatures. (This is baffling to me; every other device I have used offers a signature for email messages -- even inexpensive, simple devices). Also, a number of other features are similarly reserved for those connected to BES. Email Rules, and too many others to list here.

    How can I accomplish such things without a BES to connect with? Are there any BES's that individuals can connect to? (Like MS Exchange servers that individuals can use if they are not connected to an employer's server).

    If not, are there any third party applications that somehow offer workarounds for these BES-only features?
  • Bad Blackberry Browser Links? Though I can browse normally using the Blackberry Internet browser, many times when I try to reach web pages that are part of the Blackberry service I get error messages saying that no connection is available. There is always a viable reason listed, like site may be undergoing maintenance, etc. "Try again later". But if I click on the Details tab -- when there is one -- I see that it is actually a "URL does not exist" server error.

    Are the links to most of the Blackberry services offered on the Curve bad links? Maybe those services are no longer offered, or the navigation has changed since the software was released for Curves? Some examples are the page that has the Accuweather Home screen shortcut, Themes, Games, Blackberry maps, etc. Some are reachable, but most are not. Same error messages for a week and a half now.
I have other questions but I'll save them for another time. I do search here and every other web site I can find relating to Blackberry devices before asking for assistance like this.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!

Jim
__________________
J-Mac
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
LarryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Studio City, CA
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 209
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

  • BES-Only Features: As my contract was almost up with AT&T I was eligible for a phone upgrade, so I dumped my WM 8125 and decided to go with a Curve. While I am very happy with it for the most part, there are some fairly basic features that are apparently not available unless you are connected to an Enterprise server. (BES) E.g., adding a signature to email messages. The Help file indicates that I can set up a signature for each email account by selecting that option in the Options section for each account. But my Curve has no such option. A closer reading of that Help topic shows that you need to connect to a BES to use signatures. (This is baffling to me; every other device I have used offers a signature for email messages -- even inexpensive, simple devices). Also, a number of other features are similarly reserved for those connected to BES. Email Rules, and too many others to list here.

    How can I accomplish such things without a BES to connect with? Are there any BES's that individuals can connect to? (Like MS Exchange servers that individuals can use if they are not connected to an employer's server).

    If not, are there any third party applications that somehow offer workarounds for these BES-only features?
Have you set up your BIS email account? Since your profile says you're with AT&T, you'd do that here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

That will create your Blackerry.net email address as well as permit you to grab email from other accounts. Within each of those accounts, you have the ability to set-up an individual signature. It's done online, not the phone. It's not a BES only feature.

If you had a BES account, you'd be able to set the signature within the Options on the phone.

I don't know if there's a "workaround" to BES but there are many places that will host an exchange server and BES. Some are talked about on these forums. I use and recommend The Message Center Exchange Hosting. It will run you around $10/mo for the exchange and about the same for the BES service. Therefore you'd be paying just under $20/mo for the whole deal. They charge no set-up or termination fees unlike many others. I believe they have a trial period, too.
__________________
Drinks with Larry and Lauren (A Podcast)
http://www.drinkswithlarryandlauren.com

Last edited by LarryH : 08-18-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
thaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 288
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
  • Bad Blackberry Browser Links? Though I can browse normally using the Blackberry Internet browser, many times when I try to reach web pages that are part of the Blackberry service I get error messages saying that no connection is available. There is always a viable reason listed, like site may be undergoing maintenance, etc. "Try again later". But if I click on the Details tab -- when there is one -- I see that it is actually a "URL does not exist" server error.

    Are the links to most of the Blackberry services offered on the Curve bad links? Maybe those services are no longer offered, or the navigation has changed since the software was released for Curves? Some examples are the page that has the Accuweather Home screen shortcut, Themes, Games, Blackberry maps, etc. Some are reachable, but most are not. Same error messages for a week and a half now.
try opera mini...downloaded it recently and it is by far better than the built-in browser...you can check out the features by going to www.operamini.com and you can download it OTA by going to the same link on your curve...
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
gadgetjunkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 328
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
Hello all.

I have a few more questions about using my new Curve that I cannot seem to find any information on:
  • Keyboard Lock: I found a nice tip about how to enable the keyboard lock from the home screen when "Dialing from Home Screen" is selected.

    However when I use the *A + Green Phone buttons to unlock the keyboard, whatever application whose icon had focus when the keyboard was locked is automatically started. E.g., if the cursor is on the Messages icon when I lock the keyboard, Messages opens as soon as I unlock the keyboard. Occasionally it unlocks directly to the Home screen, but that is the exception.

    Why does this happen? How can I unlock it and stay on the Home screen?
  • BES-Only Features: As my contract was almost up with AT&T I was eligible for a phone upgrade, so I dumped my WM 8125 and decided to go with a Curve. While I am very happy with it for the most part, there are some fairly basic features that are apparently not available unless you are connected to an Enterprise server. (BES) E.g., adding a signature to email messages. The Help file indicates that I can set up a signature for each email account by selecting that option in the Options section for each account. But my Curve has no such option. A closer reading of that Help topic shows that you need to connect to a BES to use signatures. (This is baffling to me; every other device I have used offers a signature for email messages -- even inexpensive, simple devices). Also, a number of other features are similarly reserved for those connected to BES. Email Rules, and too many others to list here.

    How can I accomplish such things without a BES to connect with? Are there any BES's that individuals can connect to? (Like MS Exchange servers that individuals can use if they are not connected to an employer's server).

    If not, are there any third party applications that somehow offer workarounds for these BES-only features?
  • Bad Blackberry Browser Links? Though I can browse normally using the Blackberry Internet browser, many times when I try to reach web pages that are part of the Blackberry service I get error messages saying that no connection is available. There is always a viable reason listed, like site may be undergoing maintenance, etc. "Try again later". But if I click on the Details tab -- when there is one -- I see that it is actually a "URL does not exist" server error.

    Are the links to most of the Blackberry services offered on the Curve bad links? Maybe those services are no longer offered, or the navigation has changed since the software was released for Curves? Some examples are the page that has the Accuweather Home screen shortcut, Themes, Games, Blackberry maps, etc. Some are reachable, but most are not. Same error messages for a week and a half now.
I have other questions but I'll save them for another time. I do search here and every other web site I can find relating to Blackberry devices before asking for assistance like this.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!

Jim
Yes, there are several. Mailstreet, Exchangemymail are just a couple.
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
J-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ridley Park, PA USA
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Larry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
...Have you set up your BIS email account? Since your profile says you're with AT&T, you'd do that here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

That will create your Blackerry.net email address as well as permit you to grab email from other accounts. Within each of those accounts, you have the ability to set-up an individual signature. It's done online, not the phone. It's not a BES only feature.

If you had a BES account, you'd be able to set the signature within the Options on the phone.

I don't know if there's a "workaround" to BES but there are many places that will host an exchange server and BES. Some are talked about on these forums. I use and recommend The Message Center Exchange Hosting. It will run you around $10/mo for the exchange and about the same for the BES service. Therefore you'd be paying just under $20/mo for the whole deal. They charge no set-up or termination fees unlike many others. I believe they have a trial period, too.
Yes, I had already setup my Blackberry email account online. Actually I had setup a couple of my other email addresses on the Curve first. Then when I found out about AT&T's site I visited and saw the link to setup a Blackberry email address. I didn't notice anything at that time that would allow a signature to be added, but I will go there again and look for it.

The Message Center Exchange sounded good until I saw the price in your post -- Ouch! For comparison, I have a Personal MS Exchange account hosted at Mail2Web.com which allowed me to have push email on my last phone. The plan I have only gives me one email address, though I can have it pull messages from other addresses and deliver those also. The storage limits aren't extraordinary, but the cost is only $1.99 monthly.


Thanks.

Jim
__________________
J-Mac
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
J-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ridley Park, PA USA
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
try opera mini...downloaded it recently and it is by far better than the built-in browser...you can check out the features by going to www.operamini.com and you can download it OTA by going to the same link on your curve...
Thanks King.

I have a licensed copy of Opera Mobile for PPC, but that is no good on this device. So I did download and install OperaMini, the beta 4 version, onto my Curve. But after installation I have not been able to connect. As a matter of fact after installing OperaMini I was not able to connect even with my Blackberry browser. I must admit I was a little upset when that happened! Instead of showing "EDGE" as my connection at the top of the screen, it showed "GSM". I performed a battery pull and was reconnected via EDGE but I haven't tried connecting with OperaMini again.

BTW, I read a LOT of posts from users having the same connection issues with OperaMini on various Blackberry devices. Maybe it is just this beta version.

Jim
__________________
J-Mac
Offline  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
J-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ridley Park, PA USA
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
Yes, there are several. Mailstreet, Exchangemymail are just a couple.
Cool! Thanks gadgetjunkies; I'll check those out!

Jim
__________________
J-Mac
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.