Originally Posted by joec
Same problem with my 8310 and the Nuvi 760. Garmin acknowledges teh problem. They could not offer a solution. My other phones stay connected and work perfectly.
well, the situation has degraded since i posted. the phone disconnects right after connection or pairing. this is with my new 680.
i spoke with garmin and they suggested i test with my 360 and note the bluetooth version on it. which is v0.0 according to the about screen. in any case, the 8320 does the same thing with the 360 and the 360 worked perfectly with my 8700g, so i suspect the 8320 is at fault, not the nuvi.
i haven't called t-mobile yet and i suspect they will not help since the phone works with many other bluetooth devices without problems. in this situation both vendors, garmin and tmobile, have plausible deniability since the nuvis work with many other phones including the 8700g and the 8320 works with many other bluetooth devices. i think this is a case where both devices need a tweak to work together.
this is nearly frustrating enough for me to return one or the other of the devices since i depend so much on the bluetooth speakerphone. i'm not quite desperate enough to try downgrading to an italian bluetooth version though. it may come to that shortly, however. [g]
[later note: i find i _am_ that desparate. downloading the file now ... the unzipped file has exactly the same name as the existing one. replaced it. the 'moving average' button doesn't work on my 680, but you can touch the clock at the top right (have to get right up against the top frame) for about 6 seconds and enter the diagnostic mode. the bluetooth test screen is about 6-8 screens from the front, but there is no 'updt pr
' function. so i just hit the 'reset dev' button, hit the reset button on the back and rebooted. this has changed my bt version to 0.00, same as the 360. since that version doesn't work on the 360 with the 8320, i doubt it will work on the 680 either, but we're trying it now. i read somewhere to use the phone to initiate the pairing although so far it has made no difference ...
... it worked for about 5 minutes. when i tried to xfer the phone book it started spitting out error messages and then reverted to the 'phone disconnected' behavior at every connect attempt. tks for the try anyway ... i sure wish i knew enough to use the bluetooth diagnostic screen. i'm betting that someone knew what he/she was doing could diagnose the problem in a few minutes using those tests.]