BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Bookmarks - no "add folder" option?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Sorry if this had been posted before but when I hit search I it reverts back to the home page right now while using my new Curve.

Does anyone know why my browser's "add folder" option is missing from the menu? This is the first time adding a new bookmark since upgrading from the Pearl on Sunday.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I only see the 'Add Subfolder' option if I'm highlighting one of the main folders (like 'Blackberry Bookmarks').... does that help?
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Roselle, NJ
Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

in the bookmark add pop up
highlight folder, click menu, select change folder

click menu again and selec add subfolder

hth
Pedro
Offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!

I still have no options for add folder or add subfolder in the menu at all. But I did have them in my Pearl. Do I need to "restore" a browser option when doing a selective restore from my Pearl backup files?

Thanks so much.
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
I still have no options for add folder or add subfolder in the menu at all. But I did have them in my Pearl. Do I need to "restore" a browser option when doing a selective restore from my Pearl backup files?
Did you do a full restore from your 8100, or use the Switch Device wizard? If so, that screws up your 8320 (I know, I did it) and you have to wipe the device and start over. Here's a quick check: go to Options -> Mobile Network - do you see a setting in the middle named "Connection Preference" (right below Data on/off at the top) ?
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Did you do a full restore from your 8100, or use the Switch Device wizard? If so, that screws up your 8320 (I know, I did it) and you have to wipe the device and start over. Here's a quick check: go to Options -> Mobile Network - do you see a setting in the middle named "Connection Preference" (right below Data on/off at the top) ?
Hi,

Yes, I did a wipe handheld and then I did a switch wizard selective restore. Was there something I should have chosen specifically for the add folders option, like bookmarks options?


Thanks.
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Yes, I did a wipe handheld and then I did a switch wizard selective restore. Was there something I should have chosen specifically for the add folders option, like bookmarks options?
Not that I know of, my restore was very selective as well. So I don't quite infer the answer from what you wrote -- you do or don't have that config option in the Mobile Network screen?

The Add Folders should "just work", it might be part of the restore is whacking it. Does your backup/restore contain anything other than the data bits? (i.e. no configs, just Addresses, Calendar, Bookmarks, etc.) It's possible some piece of the restore is messing things up...
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Not that I know of, my restore was very selective as well. So I don't quite infer the answer from what you wrote -- you do or don't have that config option in the Mobile Network screen?

The Add Folders should "just work", it might be part of the restore is whacking it. Does your backup/restore contain anything other than the data bits? (i.e. no configs, just Addresses, Calendar, Bookmarks, etc.) It's possible some piece of the restore is messing things up...
Hi! Thanks so much for your help...

I couldn't find the thread again but its the one where they explain how to do a selective restore and not a full in order to fix not having the UMA display...I think I restored the things in donthateme's (or maybe it was prof's) list but then I figured that I needed the browser folders and browser urls in order to get my bookmarks back so I did another selective restore.

I didn't choose any extra options except for the one called "options" since it was in donthateme's list.

And no, still don't have the "add folders" in my menu at all.

Oh, and in the option --> mobile networks my connection preference is "wi-fi preferred".

__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
I didn't choose any extra options except for the one called "options" since it was in donthateme's list.
This might be part of the problem -- I also restored Bookmarks and the Folders, I wouldn't guess that to be it. I bet that restoring one of the items (who knows which one!) with "options" might be whacking something. If I were you I would cut my losses, wipe and restore *only* databits to your device (CAVEAT: if this works for you! I do not need to transfer any 3rd party databits - aka "RMS Databases" - at all. all my 3rd party apps store their data on a server in the sky.)

I did not restore *any* options at all to my device from the 8100 -- only the select databits themselves with the content. I reset up all my setting by hand (it takes all of 10 minutes anyways), re-imported my SSL certificate (didn't use the Certificate restore, was afraid it would whack something) and installed my 3rd party apps again.
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
This might be part of the problem -- I also restored Bookmarks and the Folders, I wouldn't guess that to be it. I bet that restoring one of the items (who knows which one!) with "options" might be whacking something. If I were you I would cut my losses, wipe and restore *only* databits to your device (CAVEAT: if this works for you! I do not need to transfer any 3rd party databits - aka "RMS Databases" - at all. all my 3rd party apps store their data on a server in the sky.)

I did not restore *any* options at all to my device from the 8100 -- only the select databits themselves with the content. I reset up all my setting by hand (it takes all of 10 minutes anyways), re-imported my SSL certificate (didn't use the Certificate restore, was afraid it would whack something) and installed my 3rd party apps again.
I didn't import the SSL certificate and do you know what "options" are included the main "options" since that was the only type of options I selected? And what are databits? (sorry for the noobish questions, but the Pearl was my first BB which I got in February of this year so I'm not 100% on all the basic techie stuff! But I'm getting there -- thanks to you guys at BB Forums!). I'm just nervous that if I don't select stuff I'll end up with stuff missing from the BB! I'm just not quite sure what needs to be selected, which is why I copied the list from the UMA post.

Oh, and one more question -- is ALT-CAPS-DELETE supposed to work the same as a battery pull on the 8320?) Pressing the keys simultaneously, or even in succession, twice, doesn't seem to work) I noticed that I have to do battery pulls like I did with the Pearl otherwise my free memory is at around 5 and when I do a battery pull it goes up to 14 or 15.

Thanks!
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
I didn't import the SSL certificate and do you know what "options" are included the main "options" since that was the only type of options I selected? And what are databits?
SSL cert - that was unique to me, I used that as an example only about "doing it by hand" to restore settings and configs. Ignore that, it just confused you instead of helping you.

Options - the whole point is that we don't know what's "in" there, so it's best to not restore it. It could be the reason you're missing Add Folders, who knows. Restoring any options from another device - as we're unfortunately finding out - seems to be breaking the 8320.

databits - that's my term for like Address Book, Calendar, Bookmarks, etc. You know, the content that matters not all the silly configuration options around them. which ties into your next thing.... ->

UMA post list: can you point me to this list of things to backup/restore? If that list includes Options it's steering you downhill in this circumstance, I don't recommend restoring any options whatsoever.

Quote:
Oh, and one more question -- is ALT-CAPS-DELETE supposed to work the same as a battery pull on the 8320?) Pressing the keys simultaneously, or even in succession, twice, doesn't seem to work) I noticed that I have to do battery pulls like I did with the Pearl otherwise my free memory is at around 5 and when I do a battery pull it goes up to 14 or 15.
Not sure - doesn't work on mine, I didn't know about that keystroke. Perhaps this info is in another thread or the FAQ.
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
SSL cert - that was unique to me, I used that as an example only about "doing it by hand" to restore settings and configs. Ignore that, it just confused you instead of helping you.

Options - the whole point is that we don't know what's "in" there, so it's best to not restore it. It could be the reason you're missing Add Folders, who knows. Restoring any options from another device - as we're unfortunately finding out - seems to be breaking the 8320.

databits - that's my term for like Address Book, Calendar, Bookmarks, etc. You know, the content that matters not all the silly configuration options around them. which ties into your next thing.... ->

UMA post list: can you point me to this list of things to backup/restore? If that list includes Options it's steering you downhill in this circumstance, I don't recommend restoring any options whatsoever.



Not sure - doesn't work on mine, I didn't know about that keystroke. Perhaps this info is in another thread or the FAQ.
Whew! I found the thread:

T-Mobile 8320, Wi-Fi connects, but UMA doesn't...

About the battery pulls -- is that what most 8320 users are doing? Just wondering, because I don't want to wear out the back cover now that this one fits well and also, this battery is a tad harder to take out than the Pearl's (I'm a girl, so I have my manicure to worry about )
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question A side note

Rivviepop:

I just went to delete unused languages in my applications file in order to free up some memory and I don't have the Lexmark app listed per the BB FAQ. In fact, there is nothing listed that has to do with languages??? Is the info on the FAQ only for the Pearl perhaps?

__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com

Last edited by PCgirl : 09-27-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
OK, *my* suggestion would be only these:

Address book
Auto text <- (maybe, I never edit mine so I didn't do this one - figured the 8320 had a newer, better list)
BB messenger
Browser bookmarks
Calendar
memos
messages
password keeper
phone log
phone hot list
sms messages

Basically don't restore Options, Profiles, Profile Options, and Theme Settings. All of these *may* contain incompatible bits of junk that cause problems - I can't confirm this since I don't work for RIM, it's a gut instinct. Spidey sense.
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
I just went to delete unused languages in my applications file in order to free up some memory and I don't have the Lexmark app listed per the BB FAQ. In fact, there is nothing listed that has to do with languages??? Is the info on the FAQ only for the Pearl perhaps?
Lexmark: this looks like a 3rd party add-on the FAQ writer happens to have installed; if you don't have it, don't sweat it - all is well.

Languages: you do this from the "Application Loader" with the desktop software, and you have to have the OS download installed from T-Mobile. When you launch the App Loader (with OS installed on the PC!) you will get a list of stuff - in this list is the ability to de-select unwanted languages (UK Engish, Spanish, etc.) - uncheck them and continue, it will delete the language junk from your device.

Here, took a screenshot on my Windows machine because it's handy right now:



Those are the boxes you should be seeing and be unchecking to remove unwanted languages from your device.
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Thanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
OK, *my* suggestion would be only these:

Address book
Auto text <- (maybe, I never edit mine so I didn't do this one - figured the 8320 had a newer, better list)
BB messenger
Browser bookmarks
Calendar
memos
messages
password keeper
phone log
phone hot list
sms messages

Basically don't restore Options, Profiles, Profile Options, and Theme Settings. All of these *may* contain incompatible bits of junk that cause problems - I can't confirm this since I don't work for RIM, it's a gut instinct. Spidey sense.

WOW! YOU ARE AWESOME.

I can't thank you enough for taking time to check out the UMA thread AND make a list! Whoa! I truly appreciate your kindness. I'll do a wipe/selective restore using your suggestions in a bit and will post the results!
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
I can't thank you enough for taking time to check out the UMA thread AND make a list! Whoa! I truly appreciate your kindness. I'll do a wipe/selective restore using your suggestions in a bit and will post the results!
A suggestion for debugging purposes: after wiping the handheld but before restoring anything at all, go into the Browser and Bookmarks. Do you have the "Add Folder" capability with a fresh, out of the box device?

Now do the restore and check it again -- this will at least tell us if it's the restore causing the problem, or if yours out of the box is somehow missing a feature (like, maybe a bad OS install from the factory?).
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
A suggestion for debugging purposes: after wiping the handheld but before restoring anything at all, go into the Browser and Bookmarks. Do you have the "Add Folder" capability with a fresh, out of the box device?

Now do the restore and check it again -- this will at least tell us if it's the restore causing the problem, or if yours out of the box is somehow missing a feature (like, maybe a bad OS install from the factory?).
Good idea! That would be a bummer though, wouldn't it?

Thanks again.
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Rivviepop's a GENIUS!

It worked, it worked!!! WOO HOOO!!!

When I wiped the handheld, the "add subfolder" was in the browser menu. (Whew!) And when I did the selective restore, it was STILL in the menu! YAY!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Oh, but I do have one more question.

I tried to delete the languages using application loader but for some reason it only shows my third party apps: Google Maps, Opera Mini and Beyond 411. There are no BB Core apps with languages??? And the "list all apps option" box is grayed out. Thanks.
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Install the OS to your computer:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...2-2-171-a.html

Then those core applications will show up.


Oh, and yes, Rivvie is a sharp guy. Helpful to everyone.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.