BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/)
-   -   Free AT&T Wifi with T-Mobile 8900? Sweet!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/185527-free-t-wifi-t-mobile-8900-sweet.html)

Dav567 04-11-2009 09:38 PM

Free AT&T Wifi with T-Mobile 8900? Sweet!!
 
This isn't really be a big deal but I have a tmobile 8900 and I can connect to the attwifi hotspot at Starbucks without logging in or putting in any username or password or anything?? Does tmobile have a deal with at&t so its free to use at&t's wifi hotspots or is my 8900 just sneaky somehow? :smile:

Anyways it's great because the speed difference between the EDGE and wifi networks is like day and night.

John Clark 04-11-2009 09:44 PM

TMobile had a deal with Starbucks for TMobile hotspots. However, the deal went to att now but the att hotspots are working for some negotiated amount of time....I can't remember just how long. It's not permanent, though.

austinholloman 04-11-2009 10:45 PM

Man that is pretty cool. I havent tried this out yet.

ssj2 04-11-2009 11:16 PM

Good observation, but like John said, unfortunately, it's not going to be a permanent deal. It will be convenient while it lasts though for sure.

Trimix 04-13-2009 05:37 PM

Just came from a starbucks in my area. Couldn't get free wifi =(

TheBigNewt 04-13-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trimix (Post 1351639)
Just came from a starbucks in my area. Couldn't get free wifi =(

I don't get it either. They said you have to get a freaking code by calling the number on your Starbucks cash card and then enter that in order to connect to WiFi. I mean who the #*&+ is gonna do that? :? I assume ATT customers connect automatically.

raygnlz 04-14-2009 12:28 PM

There are a few coffee shops, book stores and malls in my area with free WIFI provided by AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon or the local cable company. As long as its not secured via WEP or any other encryption code, any WIFI device should be able to connect without logging in. I have a T-Mobile 8900 I connect to my buddys AT&T WIFI at home.

rgc 04-14-2009 12:47 PM

Just to show how slow I am on this stuff, I still thought that Starbucks was a T Mobile hot spot. Oh well, there are lots of free Wi-Fi places around town.

andrej770 04-14-2009 01:07 PM

Also, if you have HS internet from Bellsouth (AT&T) for home use, you can use your DSL login credentials when the login page comes up at any AT&T wifi hotspot. You will then have full access on any device. :smile:

shona67 04-14-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav567 (Post 1350056)
This isn't really be a big deal but I have a tmobile 8900 and I can connect to the attwifi hotspot at Starbucks without logging in or putting in any username or password or anything?? Does tmobile have a deal with at&t so its free to use at&t's wifi hotspots or is my 8900 just sneaky somehow? :smile:

Anyways it's great because the speed difference between the EDGE and wifi networks is like day and night.

Last month I was at Blockbuster which was next to Starbucks, my BlackBerry 8320 instantly connected to Starbucks network!

Unhindered 06-18-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgc (Post 1352538)
Just to show how slow I am on this stuff, I still thought that Starbucks was a T Mobile hot spot. Oh well, there are lots of free Wi-Fi places around town.

I just saw some T-mobile flyers at two different Starbucks. I called t-mobile's hotspot department and told them every time I've tried to connect, it asks for a username and password, so I figured I couldn't until I saw these flyers.

They said I can connect, because I've got unlimited data (I've also go unlimited hotspot calling, but she said that alone wouldn't allow me to connect, so I think it's just because of the unlimited data), I can log in.

Here's what she said to do:

1. Log onto hotspot. t-mobile .com (sorry, 10 post rule prevents me from having a real link.) with blackberry t-mobile phone number as username and last 4 of the SSN of the primary account holder as the password.

2. Follow the instructions to update your password and security question.

3. At Starbucks (I haven't tried this yet), log onto the attwifi router with phone # as username and chosen password from step #2, and select "Connect to Internet" from the drop-down list.

She also said this allowed me to have unlimited wifi at Starbucks (or any t-mobile hotspot) on my laptop! I'll be testing this out in the next few days.

wjereb 06-22-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1351652)
I don't get it either. They said you have to get a freaking code by calling the number on your Starbucks cash card and then enter that in order to connect to WiFi. I mean who the #*&+ is gonna do that? :? I assume ATT customers connect automatically.

I believe that is just for laptops and non AT&T smartphones. My 8900 automatically connects to "attwifi" when I am in a Starbucks. It's supposed to work at McDonalds but I never go there to find out.

By the way I also did get a sign-on through Starbucks and AT&T for when I am there with my laptop. You are limited to 2 hours a day using that method.

By the way by looking on AT&T's site this service does not look temporary. Looks like AT&T is using this as another reason to push their BB service.

Bill J


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.