BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

^^ Yeah. At least here in the tristate area AT&T seems much faster then it otherwise should as Sprint and Vzw are badly limited by insufficent backhaul connections.

But, in general terms AT&T uses a technology that is capable of higher speeds while Vzw and Sprint have deployed their 3g networks over a much larger area.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
numetheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 551
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
This is so dependent on so many variables it is almost not worth arguing....
Yeah ... but everyone that runs speed tests using laptop connect cards always posts higher speeds with HSPA than EVDO. There is a HUGE difference between theoretical limit and what you actually get, but the theoretical limit of HSPA is not just a little bit faster ... its a lot faster. BOTH are slower than the theoretical limit, and HSPA SHOULD have a higher speed advantage than it does .... but is still faster.

Max theoretical:
EDGE - 473.6 kbit/sec
EVDO RevA - 3.1 mbit/sec
HSPDA - 14.4 mbit/sec

The speed difference between EDGE and EVDO is comparable to the speed difference between EVDOrevA and HSPDA. Saying that there are too many factors to argue that HSPDA is faster than EDGE is like me saying that you can't argue that EVDO is faster than EDGE because there are too many factors.
__________________
Numetheus
The crazy Filipino!!

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
PIN: 20FA40E8

Last edited by numetheus : 05-22-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
numetheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 551
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
The question was between 3G and EVDO, so comparing an EVDO Pearl to an EDGE Curve isn't really the comparison that was requested.

You definitely came off as snippy and it was unnecessary considering the fact that your comparison is not what was asked. It was a fair question for someone to turn around and ask you to clarify, since it was you brought EDGE to the table.

Getting back to the topic at hand, ATT's 3G network is most certainly faster than EVDO, however current devices (the Bold not withstanding) are hampered by their processor even with the faster connection. That's why Blackberry's connected via WiFi (certainly capable of being faster then any of the cell networks) still don't perform that much better.
Exactly! You can't use the BB devices to determine which network technology is faster. Thats just silly.
__________________
Numetheus
The crazy Filipino!!

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
PIN: 20FA40E8
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TheBigNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott, AZ
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 1,641
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A lot of Bold users won't have access to the ATT 3G network, and ever fewer will connect with Tmob's 3G when their Bold comes out (August??). But download speeds even on EDGE and WiFi will be lots faster as mentioned in this thread. The device is just faster by itself.
__________________
BB 8900 Tmobile, Moto Droid Verizon
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
numetheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 551
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
A lot of Bold users won't have access to the ATT 3G network, and ever fewer will connect with Tmob's 3G when their Bold comes out (August??). But download speeds even on EDGE and WiFi will be lots faster as mentioned in this thread. The device is just faster by itself.
Excuse me for not understanding what your message meant, but ATT has a very large 3G network. Its among the largest. So why would you say a lot of Bold users won't have 3G support? HSPDA buildout is comprehensive in the US for ATT, and they will have HSUPA in all markets in June supposedly.
__________________
Numetheus
The crazy Filipino!!

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
PIN: 20FA40E8
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post

You definitely came off as snippy and it was unnecessary considering the fact that your comparison is not what was asked. It was a fair question for someone to turn around and ask you to clarify, since it was you brought EDGE to the table.
.

No this is snippy. I could care less what you think.

It should have been obvious that I wouldnt compare a VZ curve to a pearl and then state something about ATT.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.199
Carrier: None
Posts: 2,622
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

oh dawg, your a funny guy!
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Wirelessly posted


ATT has a very large 3G network. Its among the largest. So why would you say a lot of Bold users won't have 3G support? HSPDA buildout is comprehensive in the US for ATT, and they will have HSUPA in all markets in June supposedly.
Simply not true, look at the ATT map for 3G and it is nowhere near comprehensive or even close. They have been painfully slow in getting it rolled out. If I'm a device manufacturer I'm pushing them to get it done because customers want 3G phones but their coverage for the 3G data stinks outside of the 275-325 major markets.
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 162
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
No this is snippy. I could care less what you think.

It should have been obvious that I wouldnt compare a VZ curve to a pearl and then state something about ATT.
However when someone asks about 3G vs. EVDO, you would compare EVDO to an EDGE phone. You also said nothing about ATT:

"I have compared my 8130 on verizon to my friend curve and there isnt that much difference"

Perhaps you were talking about your friend Curve, not someone else's phone on an unnamed provider.

Also, last time I checked, Verizon and ATT were not the only providers in the world.

Finally, while I called your response snippy I think you've graduated into worse territory than that with this one. I'm not sure what the rules are about "personal" attacks, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by bakerfall : 05-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Get a grip, I havent personally attacked anyone in this thread. Telling you I could care less what you think is not a personal attack. You called me out so I responded. If you dont like what I have to say ignore me plain and simple.

I speak my mind I wont appologize for that.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 162
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Get a grip, I havent personally attacked anyone in this thread. Telling you I could care less what you think is not a personal attack. You called me out so I responded. If you dont like what I have to say ignore me plain and simple.

I speak my mind I wont appologize for that.

I "called you out" because you were wrong from the get go. Someone asked the difference between 3G and EVDO, presumably because they wanted to know if the Bold would be faster than Verizon or Sprint's options. Your response of "I have compared my 8130 on verizon to my friend curve and there isnt that much difference" says absolutely NOTHING to answer this question since the Curve is not a 3G phone on any network. I believe that is the root cause of any confusion, your incorrect response to the original poster by talking about an EDGE phone when they are asking about 3G speed. It's an irrelevant response.

Look, I wasn't even the target of your attack, but it seemed so unnecessarily harsh that I had to call you out on it. Your response of "I don't care what you think" just make you looks like more of an a$$.

If you want to call yourself a Blackberry God and unapologeticly throw your opinion around, at least get your facts (and if at all possible your grammar and spelling) right.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhead View Post
@ wabbit - I remember reading that 3.5 is simultaneous data/voice - which means you WILL be able to receive emails while talking on the phone. Currently with EVDO that is not the case - I use Sprint and sometimes its annoying to see a bunch of emails after a phone call but its not that much of a big deal - but it would be cool to be able to get on the web and search for a few things while talking on the phone.
thats what i really want.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Voice will still travel over the same frequencies as before. 3G HSDPA operates on a separate frequency that is just for data. And I do believe they can both be used simultaneously.
i hope so!
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post

Look, I wasn't even the target of your attack, but it seemed so unnecessarily harsh that I had to call you out on it. Your response of "I don't care what you think" just make you looks like more of an a$$. I didn't attack any one you are the one attacking so chill out I don't even consider what i said harsh at all

If you want to call yourself a Blackberry God and unapologetically throw your opinion around, at least get your facts (and if at all possible your grammar and spelling) right. I didn't call myself a BB god need to get your facts straight because now your the one looking like an A$$

And I am not here for your grammar Nazism. Again you are carrying this way to far. So back off

Last edited by Dawg : 05-23-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TheBigNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott, AZ
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 1,641
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Wirelessly posted



Excuse me for not understanding what your message meant, but ATT has a very large 3G network. Its among the largest. So why would you say a lot of Bold users won't have 3G support? HSPDA buildout is comprehensive in the US for ATT, and they will have HSUPA in all markets in June supposedly.
What I meant is that if you are out of the ATT 3G network, you're still going to download data faster with the Bold than with a Curve or Pearl. I'd like to think every ATT customer will have 3G everywhere by next week but somehow I don't think that's a go. And sometimes you roam onto Tmobile's network (not much 3G love there). That's what I meant.
__________________
BB 8900 Tmobile, Moto Droid Verizon

Last edited by TheBigNewt : 05-22-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 346
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Simply not true, look at the ATT map for 3G and it is nowhere near comprehensive or even close. They have been painfully slow in getting it rolled out. If I'm a device manufacturer I'm pushing them to get it done because customers want 3G phones but their coverage for the 3G data stinks outside of the 275-325 major markets.
Its tough to say exactly where Verizon offers EV-DO vs 1xrtt coverage since their map is pretty lacking, it is I attached it below. AT&T on the other hand does list out their coverage cities but they also will scale their speeds quicker than Verizon will with up to 20MB by 2009, of course if they get half of that it would be great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AT&T Coverage (3G).pdf (60.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf Verizon Wireless Coverage (3G).pdf (214.8 KB, 75 views)
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #37 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Charles, LA and College Station, TX
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 347
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
I "called you out" because you were wrong from the get go. Someone asked the difference between 3G and EVDO, presumably because they wanted to know if the Bold would be faster than Verizon or Sprint's options. Your response of "I have compared my 8130 on verizon to my friend curve and there isnt that much difference" says absolutely NOTHING to answer this question since the Curve is not a 3G phone on any network. I believe that is the root cause of any confusion, your incorrect response to the original poster by talking about an EDGE phone when they are asking about 3G speed. It's an irrelevant response.

Look, I wasn't even the target of your attack, but it seemed so unnecessarily harsh that I had to call you out on it. Your response of "I don't care what you think" just make you looks like more of an a$$.

If you want to call yourself a Blackberry God and unapologeticly throw your opinion around, at least get your facts (and if at all possible your grammar and spelling) right.
Alright...everyone can play fair here. No need to "call anyone out". This isn't the ghetto. This is a discussion.
__________________
Glenn
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #38 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 162
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I only used that term because he did, I thought it was a bit over the top.

Regardless, I'll drop it. I think I made my point.
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Excuse me for not understanding what your message meant, but ATT has a very large 3G network. Its among the largest. So why would you say a lot of Bold users won't have 3G support? HSPDA buildout is comprehensive in the US for ATT, and they will have HSUPA in all markets in June supposedly.
Simply not true, look at the ATT map for 3G and it is nowhere near comprehensive or even close. They have been painfully slow in getting it rolled out. If I'm a device manufacturer I'm pushing them to get it done because customers want 3G phones but their coverage for the 3G data stinks outside of the 275-325 major markets.
Simply not true?? C'mon, test. He said "among the largest." With Verizon arguably being larger, tell me who else has a larger 3G network than AT&T? If he had said "THE largest" than your "simply not true" comment would be appropriate. But if its in the top two, or even top three, than I think "among the largest" fits. As for coverage for 3G "stinking" outside of 275-325 major markets - when you get down to the 325th market, I believe you've hit the 95th percentile for US population. Covering 95% of the population at minimum is pretty darn comprehensive and doesn't exactly qualify for "coverage stinks."
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well you look at their 3G compared to their EDGE and see the difference, the point was that alot of BOLD users would not get 3G and that is the case. I didn't care about the "among the largest" because they are all lacking in comparison to Verizon as far as coverage for 3G type data. They by in no means cover 95% of the population with 3G, think you should check you math. I'm sure they have internal numbers that would show their 3G pop coverage and it would in no way be close to 95%, I would think it would be closer to 55%-70%
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown

Last edited by test54 : 05-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.