There has been alot of posts asking about release dates, pricing, 3G, etc. and most are getting pretty redundant. This is the current information we have:
- You CAN unlock a Bold from a carrier just as you would any other BlackBerry (Either Carrier Unlock Code or Purchase it from a 3rd party company)
- T-Mobile U.S. uses different 3G bands than all other networks so you will NOT be able to use it for 3G data. Only EDGE is compatible.
- No OFFICIAL announcement from any carrier regarding release, however fellow BB Forums member Cory Scheuer has tipped us off to July 25th for Rogers. CrackBerry.com has received a Rogers roadmap which has the Bold being announced on the 25th, but may not be released until the following week.
- BB News is reporting July 21st for T-Mobile Germany although no OFFICIAL announcement from the carrier has been made.
- There has been no reputable information found for AT&T for release a date. It has been said by Boy Genius that AT&T is looking like Mid August.
- There were initial reports that T-Mobile U.S. would be getting the Bold with compatible 3G bands, although nothing has been confirmed. Rumor... The BlackBerry Javelin would fit T-Mobile's network better unless their 3G network gets nationwide by the end of the year.
- There has not been any word of any CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint, Telus, etc.) getting the Bold anytime this year. Boy Genius has reported Verizon to be getting the BlackBerry Thunder this fall. Jibi from our own BlackBerry News has reported it will be on OS 4.7.
- Pricing has not been OFFICIALLY announced on any carrier. But most rumors are in line with a $ 299 - $ 399 contract price and an unsubsidized price between $ 499 - $ 599 (Although BB News has reported an unsubsidized price closer to 550 Euros ($ 880)
- Speculation at this point. But a CDMA Bold is going to be awhile, especially on Verizon. RIM is not going to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing they're first touchscreen BlackBerry ever, then launching the CDMA Bold right along side it. Both RIM and Verizon want alot of sales (Verizon because of their sales quota based exclusivity and RIM to get some of the touchscreen market)
This information is all rumor until getting OFFICIALLY announced from a carrier. Having said that, I hope this helps reducing the amount of "When is the Bold getting released?" threads.
I love the rumor mill just as much as the next person, but reading the same thread gets old. Thanks to greggebhardt for opening our eyes!
Note to Mods: Not trying to moderate, just trying to help some of our fellow BlackBerry Forums members with some info.