BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Two newbie questions...

Please Login to Remove!

Well it has been two days ever since I got my Bold and I'm loving it. I'm still confused about a couple of things.

1) I'm connected to my home wifi network right now, does the phone automatically use the wifi connection at the point it logs on to my wifi connection? I'm almost sure it's using my data plan because the connection isn't too quick. Any suggestions on what to do?

2) I downloaded the google apps suite, the facebook, MSN Live and twitter apps but I can't get on. It says my data service doesn't support this and I should contact my phone provider. The explanation is definitely clear to me but considering that I'm on my WIFI network, why should I even worry about a data plan service? I got one and I'm changing an unlimited plan, but why is this happening?

3) Is there a limit to how many applications, games or themes I can download to my phone? Oh and I'm not talking about space...I'm referring to RAM or just system resources. I don't want my phone to lockup.

4) Does the Blackberry get along with Entourage, syncing speaking?

Thanks in advance guys.

Oh and yes, I know the thread subject says two questions instead of four, sorry =)
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi

Last edited by FrankTheRabbit : 02-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

1) as soon as the wi-fi icon turns white, its using wi-fi, for example on the browser

2) thats because most if not all applications automatically use the data connection and not wi-fi, some cna be changed to use wi-fi, though i dont know how, and some will not use wi-fi.

3)not really, depending on how many apps your currently running, not necessairly how many there are.

4) dont know, sorry.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Midnightdraven, thanks for the help. I believe the phone is using the Wifi connection, not sure if it's colored white...but the logo is there, grayish and it finally says "GSM Freedom - HOME", home being the name I gave to my home network.

About the Facebook apps, I'm pretty sure you're right. If anybody else out there knows how to change certain apps so it strictly uses the WiFi connection only, please post how here. There has to be an option in the phone settings. What would be the point of the apps and the wifi connection then? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
1) as soon as the wi-fi icon turns white, its using wi-fi, for example on the browser

2) thats because most if not all applications automatically use the data connection and not wi-fi, some cna be changed to use wi-fi, though i dont know how, and some will not use wi-fi.

3)not really, depending on how many apps your currently running, not necessairly how many there are.

4) dont know, sorry.
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

If the icon is grey then it is not connected to the RIM network and is NOT using wi-fi.
Its possible that you haven't registered with the wireless network. Go to options->advanced->host routing table
And then down to wi-fi and click the menu button and go to register now.

Once the icon is white or rather 'bright' instead of grey then your using wi-fi.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I went to Advanced Options, Host Routing Table and it says: *No Entries*, I press the menu button, I get REGISTER NOW, I press that and I get: REGISTRATION MESSAGE SENT!

Same grayish wifi logo :( Not sure if I'm doing something, I attached a picture of what I see.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
If the icon is grey then it is not connected to the RIM network and is NOT using wi-fi.
Its possible that you haven't registered with the wireless network. Go to options->advanced->host routing table
And then down to wi-fi and click the menu button and go to register now.

Once the icon is white or rather 'bright' instead of grey then your using wi-fi.
Attached Thumbnails
Two newbie questions...-photo-9.jpg  
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Hmm, to have no host routing table entries is not good.
But i don't know how to fix it, maybe JSanders can help.


EDIT

have you registered on the BIS network? resending service books might fix it.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven : 02-08-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow you got me there buddy. I have no idea what this BIS network is, so maybe that's what's going on. Is it something I look for in options as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Hmm, to have no host routing table entries is not good.
But i don't know how to fix it, maybe JSanders can help.


EDIT

have you registered on the BIS network? resending service books might fix it.
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

no, BIS is Blackberry Internet Service. It is what you use to set up getting your emails to your blackberry. It also allows you access to RIM's network so you can use data and wi-fi.

This is probably why the apps cannot use the data service and why wi-fi is not working.
In your picture the logo for edge is small not capped i.e. EDGE, which means connected and able to use.

I don't know who you're provider is, but they will have a BIS page, look on the blackberry website for your country, and look at software Blackberry Internet Service. It will mention somewhere about going to your carriers page (i believe).

Once registered, you can set up email, but you can also send service books. This will then register you with the blackberry network (may have to do the host routing table - register now again, not sure) and you will be using EDGE and able to use data, and apps, as well as getting connected via wi-fi, and having your emails pushed to your BB.

EDIT:
If you do not have a BLACKBERRY data service added to your plan, non of this will matter because you cannot use data services at all.
But you said you had a data plan, so it SHOULD work if you can find the above.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven : 02-08-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks again Midnight, I'm going to let my carrier come over and set that up for me. Apparently they need to configure my phone, so maybe that's what's going on. I can get on the browser and surf around, but nothing else. Oh and I'm with Cable and Wireless Panama.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
no, BIS is Blackberry Internet Service. It is what you use to set up getting your emails to your blackberry. It also allows you access to RIM's network so you can use data and wi-fi.

This is probably why the apps cannot use the data service and why wi-fi is not working.
In your picture the logo for edge is small not capped i.e. EDGE, which means connected and able to use.

I don't know who you're provider is, but they will have a BIS page, look on the blackberry website for your country, and look at software Blackberry Internet Service. It will mention somewhere about going to your carriers page (i believe).

Once registered, you can set up email, but you can also send service books. This will then register you with the blackberry network (may have to do the host routing table - register now again, not sure) and you will be using EDGE and able to use data, and apps, as well as getting connected via wi-fi, and having your emails pushed to your BB.
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Ok, it appears to be this for BIS: BlackBerry Internet Service

But yes, you need someone who knows about your network, as I havent heard of it, and they should know what you can and can't get, and hopefully should know about the blackberry services you need.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FrankTheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.162
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You're definitely right about that being my provider, "Cable & Wireless - Mas Movil".

I noticed there's quite a lot of nice apps for the Blackberry, not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Ok, it appears to be this for BIS: BlackBerry Internet Service

But yes, you need someone who knows about your network, as I havent heard of it, and they should know what you can and can't get, and hopefully should know about the blackberry services you need.
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mohandas Gandhi
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.