1) You want the format to be 480x320 (The size of the screen). I find XVID or DIVX both work very well. If I were at home, I'd get you the exact settings I use... but that's all I can say about that for now.
2) While you're in BB Messenger, open up a conversation with one of your contacts. Press the SYM key 3 times to show the emoticons available. As you scroll through them and highlight them, you'll see the key shortcut command at the bottom of the display box. That's what you would type in to get it in your name.
3) Previously stated above (Midnightdraven).
4) Agreed to update OS. But I would have to suggest using the latest beta of .234... it's been solid as a rock for me since I had it installed.
5) 480x320 resolution. Save it as a PNG file. I believe blackberry deals better with them rather than JPEGs.
6) I've seen some "memory cleaners" floating around but I've never tried them. ....I personally rather knowing what to clean out myself.
7) I did a quick Google search and found this for you; sounds about what you're looking for. http://www.christinawarren.com/2008/...dpress-client/
8) The biggest slow-down I've noticed is SMS messages. I've recently started texting A LOT after making a few new friends who don't have a Blackberry. So as my inbox fills with text messages, my Bold gets rurrrrrl sluggish. So every couple days now, I go in and delete prior to the current day and all is well.
9) You sure can! You can use any sounds you may have in your Ringtones folder or even any of your actual music stores on either the phone or an SD card. On the main screen, you can scroll up to the Speaker icon and press the wheel. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned OFF, you can press the F key to bring up the profiles. Scroll down and click on Advanced. Then you can choose which profile to edit or create your very own. Within the profile, you have individual options for all the types of alerts you can have. You can set the sound, volume, vibration, etc.
10) As stated before, I don't think so either. Although I agree; I'd like to see a larger preview when just viewing a contact. Tip for putting in pictures; if you have Microsoft Outlook and syncing your contacts with it, you can set up all the contact pictures easily on your desktop and sync them. ....although I think you have a Mac?
11) I think you mean locking the phone, right? If so, there are two ways. You can either hold in the A key and it will lock. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned off, you can just quickly press the K key from the main screen. Advantages of the K key is it's quicker because you don't have to hold it in. But holding in the A button is accessible from anywhere.
**Note on Dial From Home Screen**
When you have this feature turned off, you then have access to a lot of shortcuts from the home screen. To know what shortcuts are available, just slowly scroll through your applications. You'll notice when the name of the applications show up, some of them have an underlined letter. That letter corresponds to its shortcut key. So those applications with shortcuts can be launched quickly from the home screen or the applications list.
To turn off Dial From Home Screen: Go into your phone application by pressing the SEND button once. Press the Menu button and click on Options. Select General Option. Dial From Home Screen is listed in there. Set the option to No. This will enable all the home screen shortcuts.
So I hope this helps. And I hope you love your new blackberry as much as the rest of us! =D