BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bold will be wiped clean tomorrow - how to prepare?

Please Login to Remove!

I need some help and quite quickly, actually. I am leaving my company and they are letting me take my Bold with me. They are going to wipe the device clean remotely and I will then take it to ATT to have it set up on my own account.

Here is what I know:
  • The device is currently on a BES server
  • I have a number of third party apps on the device that I bought and want to keep
  • I want and need to keep my contacts
  • It is currently set for wireless sync for those apps that are possible to do so

I am wondering what I need to do to prepare for this. I have backed up the device, but I am unable to sync contacts, etc. because I want to sync them to anothe computer that is not set up to do so.

-How do I disable wireless sync so I can sync the contacts with the cable?
-What data will I lose in the wipe?
-Will I have any issues getting the device set up on my own account with ATT?

This is a fairly urgent request, so hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Offline  
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vongillern View Post
I need some help and quite quickly, actually. I am leaving my company and they are letting me take my Bold with me. They are going to wipe the device clean remotely and I will then take it to ATT to have it set up on my own account.

Here is what I know:
  • The device is currently on a BES server
  • I have a number of third party apps on the device that I bought and want to keep
  • I want and need to keep my contacts
  • It is currently set for wireless sync for those apps that are possible to do so

I am wondering what I need to do to prepare for this. I have backed up the device, but I am unable to sync contacts, etc. because I want to sync them to anothe computer that is not set up to do so.

-How do I disable wireless sync so I can sync the contacts with the cable?
-What data will I lose in the wipe?
-Will I have any issues getting the device set up on my own account with ATT?

This is a fairly urgent request, so hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Export your contacts from Outlook on your work PC to a CSV file and copy the file to a CD or thumbdrive before leaving work tomorrow.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Don't forget the 3rd party applications!!!!

How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Don't forget the 3rd party applications!!!!

How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

E-
Thanks for that. I just ran the switch device Wizard and will see how it works tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!
Offline  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
HalconNocturno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Caraballeda, Venezuela
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.592
Carrier: Digitel
Posts: 126
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9000)

You will need crackutil to delete the IT policy
Offline  
Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 239
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You should just be able to go into contacts, calendar, and any other areas set to sync wirelessly on your handheld, then go to options and turn wireless reconcile to OFF. Then you can do a backup via desktop manager.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalconNocturno View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9000)

You will need crackutil to delete the IT policy
Or JL_Cmder.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
nick.dollimount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.XXX
PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 343
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalconNocturno View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9000)

You will need crackutil to delete the IT policy
I'm sure they'll remove the IT policy when they send the wipe signal. That wouldn't be very nice of them to let him keep it on his own plan and not remove it.

But yes, just in case they don't for some reason, you can get the CrackUtil application to remove it.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
I'm sure they'll remove the IT policy when they send the wipe signal. That wouldn't be very nice of them to let him keep it on his own plan and not remove it.

But yes, just in case they don't for some reason, you can get the CrackUtil application to remove it.
The IT policy is not removed by the wipe signal, it is simply over-written with a default policy. JL_Cmder and CrackUtil actually remove the policy with the "Reset to Default" command.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
nick.dollimount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.XXX
PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 343
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
The IT policy is not removed by the wipe signal, it is simply over-written with a default policy. JL_Cmder and CrackUtil actually remove the policy with the "Reset to Default" command.
Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Defaults IT policy rule

....I've done it. It works =)
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
The way they handled it was by the administrator locking the device and having me go through entering the wrong password 10 times. Once that's done, the device wipes clean.

I was able to restore pretty much everything through a back up I did yesterday afternoon in preparation.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CO_BBTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,044
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You should still follow the procedure above to remove the IT policy. The method you used did not remove it.
__________________
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
Clifford Stoll
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Illinois
Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 249
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

That is assuming they even had a policy (other than default).
__________________
"I dont feel I need to explain my art to you Warren"
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CO_BBTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,044
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseass View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700c)

That is assuming they even had a policy (other than default).
"default" is a policy. No policy would be the absence of a policy, not simply a default policy. The user was on a BES. They have a policy.
__________________
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
Clifford Stoll
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington DC
Model: 9900
OS: 7.X
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile
Posts: 666
Post Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If they have you type in your password wrong 10 times. Do you have the ability to modify your options-> General Settings? If so disable content protection for your contacts [Include Contacts - "No"] and I believe that will save the contacts. Can not say about your 3rd party apps.
__________________
Q10! <- Love the 9000!! It's everything I wanted (minus enough ON BOARD memory)!!
<-9700 ---! more memory! small screen&keypad :( ->
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
If they have you type in your password wrong 10 times. Do you have the ability to modify your options-> General Settings? If so disable content protection for your contacts [Include Contacts - "No"] and I believe that will save the contacts. Can not say about your 3rd party apps.
Why is it important to delete the IT policy and will I have to back up and restore everything again once I've already done that?
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vongillern View Post
Why is it important to delete the IT policy and will I have to back up and restore everything again once I've already done that?
Removing the policy completely will ensure full device functionality.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Removing the policy completely will ensure full device functionality.
I'm leaving town tomorrow and don't have a lot of time to mess with things tonight. Can you be more specific as to what functionality might be limited?

I appreciate your help.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vongillern View Post
I'm leaving town tomorrow and don't have a lot of time to mess with things tonight. Can you be more specific as to what functionality might be limited?

I appreciate your help.
Only you will know that. BES can control just about any aspect of the device, and the process they had you do does not clear any such controls. I don't know what limitations they put on your device, but it is in your best interest to remove them.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 78
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Only you will know that. BES can control just about any aspect of the device, and the process they had you do does not clear any such controls. I don't know what limitations they put on your device, but it is in your best interest to remove them.
Didn't realize Crack Util's resetting the IT Policy would wipe the device again. Back to square one in setting it up as I had before. Damn.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.