Originally Posted by John Clark
The blackberry is not a pc and you can't really compare them. The two reboots do virtually the same thing. alt shift del also clears glitches, etc. Really, it just doesn't matter.
No its an electronic device that either A. has constant power or B. does not, and their is a major difference between the two. I worked in electro tech for a while and if you think that reseting memory through built in routines triggered by a software call is the same as the device starting up from a cold state you are hugely mistaken. there are different routines that are followed on a cold boot then a warm boot. Again if the device is having issues because of buffer over flow or bad routine you cant trust it to do its job. More then most likely 90% of the time it can and it will function fine, but is it worth pulling out your hair the other 10% when it is a hardware issues that needs to be cold reset.
The comparison i was making to my home machine was not a device to device comparison but to the fact that electronic devices have different routines they follow from a cold boot as aposed to a warm reboot.
We have a server in our server room that will not warm reboot because hardware is just broken or firmware is bad. We have to do a cold reboot and it works every time and this is the same principal that when deprived of power it will boot different then if just given a reset trigger.
Hardware in the BB is no different they have 50+ or however many things that all have to communicate in perfect harmony and if one starts off beat it can take the whole thing down. but if its playing to its own beat you cant exactly expect it to listen now to commands it went wrong for a reason and failed to listen to its basic operation instructions
So I will disagree with you 100% that they are the same. To the end user it produces the same result visually but physically they are apples and oranges.