BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Question about the bold

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but it pretty much determines as to whether or not i get one. I've had a Motorola Q for a while and, it's alright, but one of the things i absolutely DISPISE about this phone is that i can set ringtones to contacts, but they only work when someone calls NOT when they text. And the only tones i can use as my text tones are the one that come standard with the phone unless i buy some 9.99 program or some retarded stuff. Anyway, my question is, does the blackberry bold allow you to set tones to contacts and it be that tone when they text you as well as when they call you? Thanks.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kirrinjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.610
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica
Posts: 1,533
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Ringtones are ringtones, so whatever tone you set for the contact will only be for phone calls.

You can however, set the same sound for the sms (well I was able to do so on mine, just for the test).
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
Website - http://kirrinjones.wordpress.com
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/kirrinjones
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No you can't, I just tested this with my brother. The custom ringtone only works with phone calls not sms.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Alright, thanks.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kirrinjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.610
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica
Posts: 1,533
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Miamirulz29, I'm using 4.6.0.282 and I was able to select my ringtone as the tone for my sms and it works. Changed it up for my girl and had her texted me and it worked. So I'm just reporting what happens. Maybe I'm still dreaming as I went to bed really late.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
Website - http://kirrinjones.wordpress.com
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/kirrinjones
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When I changed the ringtone for my brother, it only changed calls, not sms. Thats weird.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kirrinjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.610
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica
Posts: 1,533
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

You have to go in to sms and change it manually it will not do it automatically.

But that will be the sms tone for ALL sms.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
Website - http://kirrinjones.wordpress.com
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/kirrinjones
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

You have to go in to sms and change it manually it will not do it automatically.

But that will be the sms tone for ALL sms.
I know you can do that, the op was talking about changing the sms tone for a single contact, not for all of them.
Offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kirrinjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.610
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica
Posts: 1,533
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Hmm, my bad.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
Website - http://kirrinjones.wordpress.com
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/kirrinjones
Offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.464
PIN: head Gunpowder
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure if it's like this on 4.6 versions of the OS, but I'm running 5.0.0.100 and you can select a separate ringtone for phone and messages for each contact. There is a "Custom Ringtones/Alerts" section in each contact's setup where there are several options for Phone And Messages, including selecting a ringtone and overriding the phone profile settings.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirulz29 View Post
No you can't, I just tested this with my brother. The custom ringtone only works with phone calls not sms.
Bzzzz. Thanks for playing... we have some lovely parting gifts for ya.

How to assign specific Ringtones even for MMS and SMS

Ever noticed that you can assign ringtones to a specific person, but if they send you a text message or MMS they fall under the profile ringtone?

Here is the way to solve that:

1. Go to Profiles
2. Select Advanced
3. Press Menu Button, then New Profile
4. Name: (Name the profile, i.e. the person's name) - [Joe Smith]
5. Insert your custom ring tone under each specific place: Phone / MMS / SMS / Etc.
6. Save

While in profiles...
1. Press Menu Button, then New Exception
2. Name: Same name as the profile - [Joe Smith]
3. From: Add the person's contact from address book - [Joe Smith]
4. Use Profile: (specify the profile you created) - Joe Smith
5. Uncheck box for Custom Phone Tune
6. save

Now whenever that person calls, sends a Text, that specific ring tone will work for them.

Enjoy

Last edited by fonejunkie : 07-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
jacobsaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Model: 9000
OS: .297
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T
Posts: 873
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Miamirulz29, I'm using 4.6.0.282 and I was able to select my ringtone as the tone for my sms and it works. Changed it up for my girl and had her texted me and it worked. So I'm just reporting what happens. Maybe I'm still dreaming as I went to bed really late.
You are correct. I use custom ringtones for SMS. It works just fine.
__________________
RETIRED: 7230, 7290, 8700G, 8320, 8900. 9000 BOLD

Politicin' 24/7
Offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Bzzzz. Thanks for playing... we have some lovely parting gifts for ya.

How to assign specific Ringtones even for MMS and SMS

Ever noticed that you can assign ringtones to a specific person, but if they send you a text message or MMS they fall under the profile ringtone?

Here is the way to solve that:

1. Go to Profiles
2. Select Advanced
3. Press Menu Button, then New Profile
4. Name: (Name the profile, i.e. the person's name) - [Joe Smith]
5. Insert your custom ring tone under each specific place: Phone / MMS / SMS / Etc.
6. Save

While in profiles...
1. Press Menu Button, then New Exception
2. Name: Same name as the profile - [Joe Smith]
3. From: Add the person's contact from address book - [Joe Smith]
4. Use Profile: (specify the profile you created) - Joe Smith
5. Uncheck box for Custom Phone Tune
6. save

Now whenever that person calls, sends a Text, that specific ring tone will work for them.

Enjoy
Besides fone junkies' way, how else can you set custom ringtones for contacts?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.