BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default What is the common problem on Bold?

Please Login to Remove!

I have used 8100 for 3 months, and 8300 for 2 years. I loved 8100 but the lack of keyboard took the fun out, so I upgraded to 8300, however 8300's terrible DUST under the screen and very easily scratched battery door as well as peeling upper trim turned me off after 2 years. I replaced the screen once, and bought a new track ball because the ring clips broke, even after that the dust returned only worse this time.

Anyway, even with those I loved my blackberry.. Only thing that was getting to me was the lack of on-board memory, because running ViiGo and keeping more than 1 week of e-mails would easily make bb run out of memory and slow down to a HALT whenever I would get a new e-mail.

I am seriously moving up to Bold, but I would like to see what is the most common annoyance that Bold owners faced during the period they used Bold. So far I can see that it is heavier, bigger, "bolder", and I also see it is a big gappy, means it can also attract dust/dirt under the screen. I also see that it does not come with a pouch, while others do (my 8300 did not) which is the best way to keep the phone new for a longer period. Is it the 3G speeds in big cities (i hear it is slow) or is it the battery life with 3G?

Please chime even, even if it is few words, please let us know what is the worst feature/annoyance of your bold?
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

most people if not all received some type of case with their bold.
i.e. ive read about US carriers having a belt clip holder, whereas UK having a wallet type holster.

I would also say I havent got any dust under my screen after 7 months of use. It seems alot more solid than others phones ive had. The intergrated lens/screen illiminates the dust issue.

The issue I think would either be memory usage, or battery consumption.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

You could also take a look at the Curve 8900 option. It is close to the size of the Curve 8300, and it feels lighter too. It has GPS and Wi-Fi, comes with double the application memory of the Bold and had a better camera. You do sacrifice the 3G that the Bold has, and the Bold has a slightly faster processor.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Probably the issue would only 128mb of app memory and I guess maybe its a bit bigger than other blackberries.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Jeremy, thanks! I am actually thinking about 8900, too, in fact it is a much better option at only $39, compared to $149 lowest, I still need to read a lot more about 8900, and I didn't want to star two similar topics on two phones to avoid getting stoned!

miamirulz, thank you so much, all this time I thought Bold had 1GB application memory and 8900 had 256MB of application memory.. Why did I think of that? I remember seeing 1GB some place.. My Curve keeps running out of memory, it is really bothering me. I always have like 4MB of space left, or less.

I have not had time to read about what community thinks about 8900 vs 9000, but what is the verdict so far? (I actually wanted to keep the topic limited to knowing short-comings of Bold)
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

The Bold does have 1GB of media storage, which is for pictures, music and video. But the app memory is at 128MB.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

The Bold does have 1GB of media storage, which is for pictures, music and video. But the app memory is at 128MB.
Wow.. Everyone I know buys a storage card right away, that 1GB is really not a selling point at all. Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there a better comparison chart between Bold/Tour/8300/8300?
It looks like RIM's own comparison is really misleading
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Depending on the number on apps you have, the bold could be fine for you. I have ran about 22 before and had like 19mb app memory left, but then I uninstalled all the apps that were web launchers and I now I have a total of 18 apps with 20-21 mb app memory left.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It is not a matter of Running more at the same time, but a matter of how much an app uses. I am not sure if it has been addressed in the new OS versions, but stuff like ViiGo uses only a very small memory to run, but needs a lot more to store feeds on the phone. Can Bold or newer OS's run app from App memory, and then keep the contents in storage memory? I see new APP word allows to archive programs to SD but still not clear if it can run from SD.

So has anyone prepared a comparison chart some place?
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can't keep an apps content in storage memory. Anything that has to do with applications is stored in the app memory along with messages, call logs, sms, etc. If you are looking to compare different blackberries, then go to this site:
BlackBerry - Compare BlackBerry Smartphones and PDAs at BlackBerry.com

Also, if you can wait, then I would go the blackberry onyx which seems to be coming out around oct/nov which has 3g, wifi, and 256 app memory. The best of both worlds!

Last edited by miamirulz29 : 08-01-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

miami, I mentioned RIM's comparison is not very detailed, but now I understand it better.
It also does not list screen size, only resolution. Do you know the screen size differences?

Also It mentioned 9000 does not support SDHC, is that correct.. I am really surprised!

Bold mentiones Divx and Xvid, and 8900 says Divx, while Tour does not mention either. I thought these three ran exact same OS..

Miami, Onyx will probably cost $300, while Bold will go down to like $150. With upgrade Onyx will probably cost $200 on authorized retailers.
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The bold definitely supports micro sd cards if that is what you are talking about. For some reason on the blackberry has kind up messed up on the comparison page, if you go into each device and look at the tech specs, you will see that they all pretty much run the same type of media files.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

No.
I am referring to SDHC.
All others in comparison I mentioned above lists SDHC-compatible. While Bold does not list that as feature. This means Bold cannot accept SD cards over 4GB. Is this true!? I think this is one mistake to begin with, I remember reading many people using 8 or 16GB SD cards on their bolds... This is why I didn't really like their comparison.

What is the screen size of Bold and 8900? Because if they are exact same screen, this means 8900's letters will be smaller because it is higher resolution.
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The Bold DOES support high capacity micro-SD cards. I have an 8GB card in mine.. and know of others with at 16GB card.

The resolution is 480 x 320 (the 8900's screen is 480 x 360). The actual physical size of the screen is approx 2.25 x 1.5 inches.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
I have used 8100 for 3 months, and 8300 for 2 years. I loved 8100 but the lack of keyboard took the fun out, so I upgraded to 8300, however 8300's terrible DUST under the screen and very easily scratched battery door as well as peeling upper trim turned me off after 2 years. I replaced the screen once, and bought a new track ball because the ring clips broke, even after that the dust returned only worse this time.

Anyway, even with those I loved my blackberry.. Only thing that was getting to me was the lack of on-board memory, because running ViiGo and keeping more than 1 week of e-mails would easily make bb run out of memory and slow down to a HALT whenever I would get a new e-mail.

I am seriously moving up to Bold, but I would like to see what is the most common annoyance that Bold owners faced during the period they used Bold. So far I can see that it is heavier, bigger, "bolder", and I also see it is a big gappy, means it can also attract dust/dirt under the screen. I also see that it does not come with a pouch, while others do (my 8300 did not) which is the best way to keep the phone new for a longer period. Is it the 3G speeds in big cities (i hear it is slow) or is it the battery life with 3G?

Please chime even, even if it is few words, please let us know what is the worst feature/annoyance of your bold?
Dust is a non issue on the Bold period. It has an integrated screen protector that is part of the LCD. No way for dust to get in there. Battery life is a little challenging with the 3G but with the new OS you can select 2G or 3G.

A great device, in fact one of the best to date in my opinion.

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
No.
I am referring to SDHC.
All others in comparison I mentioned above lists SDHC-compatible. While Bold does not list that as feature. This means Bold cannot accept SD cards over 4GB. Is this true!? I think this is one mistake to begin with, I remember reading many people using 8 or 16GB SD cards on their bolds... This is why I didn't really like their comparison.

What is the screen size of Bold and 8900? Because if they are exact same screen, this means 8900's letters will be smaller because it is higher resolution.
The bold supports up to 32gb.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
The resolution is 480 x 320 (the 8900's screen is 480 x 360). The actual physical size of the screen is approx 2.25 x 1.5 inches.
Thanks. Is it same screen dimensions on Tour & 8900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
A great device, in fact one of the best to date in my opinion.

E-
What makes you say that? Is it wifi+3G? It sounds like you don't really care about the weight or the mediocre camera...

Oh, midnightheaven, AT&T website states Bold does not come with the protective pouch that 8900 or 8100 comes with, but instead it comes with a holster. Can anyone confirm if you can remove the belt clip off the holster?

Guys, I found another pretty cool comparison here, which includes provider customized differences (ATT 8900 vs T-MO 8900)
RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 (AT&T) vs. RIM BlackBerry Curve 8900 (AT&T) vs. RIM BlackBerry Curve 8900 (T-Mobile) vs. RIM BlackBerry Tour - infoSync Reviews
__________________
Z30, AT&T

Last edited by hyedipin : 08-01-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
miamirulz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The 305!
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.592
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah att comes with a belt clip off holster.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
MidnightDraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chester,UK
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Posts: 9,481
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 110 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Also, my name is midnight DRAVEN not HEAVEN...dunno where you got that from!

Id also like to point out the SDHC i.e. HC means anything over a certain amount (not sure if that 2 or 4GB) but the Bold can support upto and including a 32GB card. So the fact that it doesnt specifically say SDHC support is actuall irrelevant.
__________________
~Midnight Draven

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Posts: 640
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I could not edit my post so I cannot correct your nickname, sorry.
SD and SDHC runs on a different structure, for example not all devices will support SDHC. Just because a device can accept SD or MiniSD does not mean they will be compatible with SDHC. For example 8300. As far as I know (on Blackberry devices) it is OS dependent. Some OS cannot see more than 4 while some will go up to 32..
__________________
Z30, AT&T
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.