File Free & file system size
I'm confused with File Free amount on my Bold 9000. Although I've searched on Google and this forum, I still cannot find answer for my problem.
1) I check File Free in Options -> Status, it says File Free is about 27 MB.
2) I choose Explore from Media, there're 2 root directories:
/Device Memory: 859 MB total size
/System: 99.7 MB total size
Inside /System/, there're many sample images, ring tones, 2 sample musics, 2 sample videos. 2 sample videos take about 72 MB.
3) As many people suggest that deleting sample files (video, musics) would increase File Free, I delete those 2 videos by choosing delete in Video application of Media.
However, File Free doesnot increase to 99 MB (27 + 72) as I hoped (!), it's still around 27 MB.
4) I've also checked this artical from blackberry:
www _dot_ blackberry _dot_ com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15 345
They said that: File Free = Total Flash Memory - Application Total Size - Database Size
5) My Bold's Application Total Size reported by BDM is: 64 MB
Database Size is about 2.5 MB
--> My questions are:
1) /System/ doesnot relate to File Free?
2) /Device Memory/ + /System/ is ~ 1000 MB, so I guess those 2 directories made up Bold's 1G internal storage. Is it right?
Can someone explain why it need to split into 2 directories? Files in /System/ seem to be harder to delete than files in /Device Memory/
3) If I get it right, Bold's Total Flash Memory = 128 MB. Then File Free should be 128 - 64 - 2.5 = 61.5 MB.
So where is my 34.5 MB (61.5 - 27)? Is it consumed by Blackberry for loading and running applications?
Sorry if my post is long and hard to understand.
I'm very much confusing about Blackberry's File Free.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2. Device memory can be used to store media; system is where files are stored for applications, messages and contacts i.e. the databases are stored.
DEvice memory is 1GB.
System memory is 128MB. otherwise known as Application memory.
3. Yes, it would be used to load and run apps. hence why running app world decreases the app memory free.
Thank you very much for your answers :)
I think there's a bit ambiguous in naming.
Do you mean:
Directory /System/ is System Mermory
Directory /Device Memory/ is Device Memory
My guess is correct? directory /System/ + directory /Device Memory/ = Device Memory
I think directory /System/ isn't System Memory, because after removing 72MB of sample movies from /System/, my File Free still same ~ 27MB
Device memory is device memory.
system memory is where apps etc are stored, which would be application memory.
I dont have smaple movies on my bold, and as far as i can remember never have, but I very much doubt they were 72MB.
72KB possibly, hence why the file free is the same.
I am not trying to disagree with you MD, but here is a screen shot of my new 9000. I am also curious about the memory layout of these devices. Thus the reason for this post.
Yes, my sample movies are exactly the same as devnull's image.
oh maybe i did delete them, but still a strangly large amount.
then im completely not sure.
Why don't you delete the sample movies?
Wirelessly posted (9000)
It has been stated above and on other threads and forums that, for whatever reason, deleting these movies does not show any improvement in recovered memory.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.