BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Crackled/white screen on lock

Please Login to Remove!

I've just got the Bold 9000 off ebay.

When I lock the phone and the screen goes into "standby" and then I reactivate the screen, it comes up white. If I scroll around, the parts highlighted go OK. If I unlock the phone the screen comes back to life.

Sometimes it goes a grey sort of crackled screen instead of white. I assume the screen is OK since as soon as I unlock or go to the menu everything shows up OK. Any idea what the issue could be?

I upgraded the OS from 4.5 to 5 this morning but the issue hasn't gone away.

Thought I'd upload pics to try and explain better.

The first one is when I press a button from the lock. It then goes crackled.

The third one is when I move the trackball around

The fourth is when I unlock the phone

This happens when I dont have the phone locked and the screen comes from stand by. But when I press a button the whole screen comes back to life
Attached Thumbnails
Crackled/white screen on lock-photo212.jpg  Crackled/white screen on lock-photo213.jpg  Crackled/white screen on lock-photo216.jpg  Crackled/white screen on lock-photo217.jpg  
Offline  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Everett WA
Model: 4
OS: iOS4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 582
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBrennan View Post
I've just got the Bold 9000 off ebay.

When I lock the phone and the screen goes into "standby" and then I reactivate the screen, it comes up white. If I scroll around, the parts highlighted go OK. If I unlock the phone the screen comes back to life.

Sometimes it goes a grey sort of crackled screen instead of white. I assume the screen is OK since as soon as I unlock or go to the menu everything shows up OK. Any idea what the issue could be?

I upgraded the OS from 4.5 to 5 this morning but the issue hasn't gone away.

Thought I'd upload pics to try and explain better.

The first one is when I press a button from the lock. It then goes crackled.

The third one is when I move the trackball around

The fourth is when I unlock the phone

This happens when I dont have the phone locked and the screen comes from stand by. But when I press a button the whole screen comes back to life
Defective device. Return it immediately. If the seller will not honor a refund, open a claim with ebay as Item sent not as described.
Offline  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airport lounges and starbuxxx
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.296
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Posts: 573
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

It's a rather common issue with the Bold. I had my screen replaced a couple of times and many people at work too. It flickers between grainy dots to grey lines and light patches before going completely white. By the looks of it in your pics you're in the early stages of it.

Unless the item has been bought as faulty/as-is/untested i would return it.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I actually got it at a decent price (I think) so is it the main board thats the probelm or just the LCD? Only problems described on ebay are the knocks around the case
Offline  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airport lounges and starbuxxx
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.296
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Posts: 573
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBrennan View Post
I actually got it at a decent price (I think) so is it the main board thats the probelm or just the LCD? Only problems described on ebay are the knocks around the case

It's usually just the screen that suffers and everything returns to normal when replaced. If it was sold to you as non-faulty though you need to return it since it's obviously faulty and there may be more issues with it you haven't discovered yet.
Offline  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have this problem too. Purchased the Bold circa November 2008. Return/replace it as soon as possible. I've been living with this problem for a while, and I can tell you that it gets progressively worse. Unfortunetly for me, the problem didn't arise until AFTER warranty was up. How convenient.
Offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.321
Carrier: O2 Ireland
Posts: 160
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang86 View Post
Unfortunetly for me, the problem didn't arise until AFTER warranty was up. How convenient.
Likewise!
Offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
bangjdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.822
PIN: N/A
Carrier: XL
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I got same problem here, how long it could take from early stage until completely white ?
__________________
Cheers,

Bang Jdi

Xplore the world with BB
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.