BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JavaBratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Question Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my Curve 8530 for about a year and don't know how I ever lived without a BB to be honest. So the other day I took Verizon up on their (so-called) discount and opted to get the Bold 9650. Unfortunately, when/if I get it today, I'll spend most of my time wiping and installing a new OS because it only ships with OS5. So I was wondering...

Has anyone else went from a 8530 to a 9650? If so, what are the biggest changes between the two? What will I gain? Lose?

What are some "must have" apps for this device?

Also, when I'm done it will have OS6

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
__________________
,.-~*`*~-.-JavaBratt-,.-~*`*~-.
@ThemerDee
Offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,029
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

I suggest that you read through the 9600 and OS 6 sections and also SEARCH on the 9650 for more information.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

The 9650 from Verizon ships with OS 6.

Any themes you are currently using on OS 5 will not be compatible.

You'll also need to find OS 6 compatible versions of any apps you may be using.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pcerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.374
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 81
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
Unfortunately, when/if I get it today, I'll spend most of my time wiping and installing a new OS because it only ships with OS5. So I was wondering...
Wrong forum, this should be in the 9600 Forum

Even if you do get a 9650 with OS, which at this point is highly unlikely, wiping and load the BB6 OS takes less than 45 minutes. Use DM's DSW to move all your data over to the new device.

I prefer the Bold keyboard to the Curve's, so imo that's a huge gain right there! You'll also gain more free app memory.

Last edited by pcerio : 06-02-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,028
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 304 Times in 292 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Poynt
BlackBerry Feeds (RSS reader that replaces Viigo)
Documents To Go

I rely on several apps by REXwireless. They're monstrously expensive but worth every nickel IMHO. IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix are the two I use. Figure $60 for each.

Last edited by rambo47 : 06-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Online  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JavaBratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I suggest that you read through the 9600 and OS 6 sections and also SEARCH on the 9650 for more information.
I already did search and I'm not interested in specs that I've already read and is mostly all I find. I wanted opinions from people who have actually went from a 8530 to a 9650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
The 9650 from Verizon ships with OS 6.

Any themes you are currently using on OS 5 will not be compatible.

You'll also need to find OS 6 compatible versions of any apps you may be using.
Actually it ships with OS5 or OS6, however, to have it shipped with OS6 it would have cost me an extra $70. I opted to have the one shipped with OS5 as I see no sense in paying the extra money to have an OS pre-installed when I can do it myself for free.

I'm also aware that I will have to find compatible apps, which is why I asked about must have apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Poynt
BlackBerry Feeds (RSS reader that replaces Viigo)
Documents To Go

I rely on several apps by REXwirelessThey're monstrously expensive but worth every nickel IMHO. IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix are the two I use. Figure $60 for each.
Thank you for actually answering my question rambo!!

Is the Blackberry Feeds the same as Blackberry News Feeds? I have that on my 8530 and really like it. Only problem is it doesn't notify me or integrate with my messages like its set to :( So I have to keep it set on my home screen to see the "new" message indicator that appears on the icon itself. Not a big deal, but would be nice if the optional notifications worked.

I will check into the others you mentioned as well

Again, thank you for answering my question rambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcerio View Post
Wrong forum, this should be in the 9600 Forum

Even if you do get a 9650 with OS, which at this point is highly unlikely, wiping and load the BB6 OS takes less than 45 minutes. Use DM's DSW to move all your data over to the new device.

I prefer the Bold keyboard to the Curve's, so imo that's a huge gain right there! You'll also gain more free app memory.
My apologies as I didn't know which forum my post belong in.

As far as installing OS6, thats something I already know how to do as I had to wipe and install a new OS on my 8530, but thanks anyway ;)

Also, thanks for letting me know your opinion on the keyboard as well. I had read somewhere that some didn't like it because (apparently) the numbers are in red which is distracting. Hopefully this won't be something that bothers me and I can get used to it. As far as the memory, I already knew it had more memory so it could support OS6. That was one of the biggest reasons I decided to go with the 9650. But again, thanks for the comments!
__________________
,.-~*`*~-.-JavaBratt-,.-~*`*~-.
@ThemerDee
Offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
Actually it ships with OS5 or OS6, however, to have it shipped with OS6 it would have cost me an extra $70. I opted to have the one shipped with OS5 as I see no sense in paying the extra money to have an OS pre-installed when I can do it myself for free.
This sounds like complete nonsense. Never have I heard of anyone charging for a software update on a BlackBerry.
Do yourself a favor, and buy from a reputable source. Whomever you're dealing with now is trying to rip you off.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JavaBratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
This sounds like complete nonsense. Never have I heard of anyone charging for a software update on a BlackBerry.
Do yourself a favor, and buy from a reputable source. Whomever you're dealing with now is trying to rip you off.
It is complete nonsense, but thats Verizon and they gave two options... the device with OS5 for $29.99 or the same device with OS6 for $99.99

I ordered the one with OS5 since I can do the update myself, however, they did screw up and send it with OS6. Unfortunately, they're having to send me a replacement because the device they sent me has a jacked-up trackpad. So I doubt I'll get lucky and they will send it with OS6 again, but I'm hoping because it took me almost four hours to get the thing up and going yesterday because Verizon CS are a bunch of idiots.
__________________
,.-~*`*~-.-JavaBratt-,.-~*`*~-.
@ThemerDee
Offline  
Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pcerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.374
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 81
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Never heard of VZW charging more for the OS. Why did you waste an upgrade on such an old device?
Offline  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,028
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 304 Times in 292 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

BlackBerry Feeds is the same thing as BlackBerry News Feeds. In order to get a feed to integrate into Messages you have to set an alert for that particular feed. This same question just came up in another thread recently. You can highlight a particular feed (but don't click on it), then use the Menu key to select "Set Alert".
Online  
Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JavaBratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcerio View Post
Never heard of VZW charging more for the OS. Why did you waste an upgrade on such an old device?
Trust me, I couldn't make up something that stupid if I tried LOL!

But as far as the device being "old"... wasn't it just released last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
BlackBerry Feeds is the same thing as BlackBerry News Feeds. In order to get a feed to integrate into Messages you have to set an alert for that particular feed. This same question just came up in another thread recently. You can highlight a particular feed (but don't click on it), then use the Menu key to select "Set Alert".
OK, thanks! That is some great info I could have used before. I think now I can use the social feeds with OS6 though so I won't need the BB News Feeds. At least thats what I think... someone can correct me if I am wrong since I don't know diddly about OS6 LOL!
__________________
,.-~*`*~-.-JavaBratt-,.-~*`*~-.
@ThemerDee
Offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

I just switched over from an 8530 to a 9650 and am unsure if I like it. One of the main things I dislike (and this may be the OS6 not the device) is having only one default email address. What I mean is on my other device I could specific by email folder which email address I wanted to use when composing a new email. I didn't have to select it everytime.

Hope you follow me, 2 email addresses setup with separate folders, and each email folder had it's own default email address that would Send and Receive to it. I know the new 9650 with OS only will allow you to set one default email address no matter how many email accounts you have set up. When you compose a new email regardless of what mailbox folder your in you have to change the email address you want to send it from. What a PITA!
Thats my only complaint of the switch I have.
Offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
JavaBratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfleck View Post
I just switched over from an 8530 to a 9650 and am unsure if I like it. One of the main things I dislike (and this may be the OS6 not the device) is having only one default email address. What I mean is on my other device I could specific by email folder which email address I wanted to use when composing a new email. I didn't have to select it everytime.

Hope you follow me, 2 email addresses setup with separate folders, and each email folder had it's own default email address that would Send and Receive to it. I know the new 9650 with OS only will allow you to set one default email address no matter how many email accounts you have set up. When you compose a new email regardless of what mailbox folder your in you have to change the email address you want to send it from. What a PITA!
Thats my only complaint of the switch I have.
I think I understand what you are saying, I think lol ;)

I tested this out on my device and here is what I noticed...

If I open the icon for my Live.com mail, press menu>compose I get my "default" email at the top (which is gmail). BUT if I do the same with any one of my gmail addresses (I have 4), the email address specific to the folder I opened is what it listed at the top. I also tried this for my website email addresses as well as another I have for the site where I host my themes, and they all had the "default" mailbox listed at top.

So apparently when you're in an individual email, as long as it is gmail you can compose from it, whereas all others will send from the "default" email address. But anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong as I've only had my 9650 a couple of weeks and am still unsure as to how everything works.

Thanks cfleck for pointing this out as this will come in very handy for me ;)
__________________
,.-~*`*~-.-JavaBratt-,.-~*`*~-.
@ThemerDee
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loaded BB 8520 os on BB 8530, please help. MaXieM General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini 10 03-05-2011 07:02 PM
Need advice on UMA - Skype - blocked on my 8530 glnz General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini 6 01-13-2011 12:40 PM
World Edition-style browser settings on Curve 8530? tanim95 General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini 0 06-21-2010 12:55 AM
8530 App Compatibility Bradleyo General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini 5 04-01-2010 03:08 PM
Give your thoughts to RIM... tobyw General BlackBerry Discussion 12 03-14-2007 11:41 AM





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.