02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Knows Where the Search Button Is
Join Date: Mar 2005
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Oddness with 9300 and 6.0
Please Login to Remove!
I've been having some strange problems recently with my new 9300. and things seem to have gotten worse when I upgraded it to 6.0 (448) last week. Here's the short list:
1) Google maps (latest version) is badly broken with 6.0. It seems the geniuses over at Google are unaware of the new function of the menu button in 6.0, and you can't do much from just the short cut keys. There's no way to exit the app without menu (other than rebooting)
2) Strange power issues. I put the phone on the bedstand last night like I've been doing. I had performed a power reset earlier in the day to kill Google maps (see#1 above), so other than the background IMs (AOL, Yahoo, BBM) and email, not much else was running. I went to bed with a nearly full battery, and the battery was dead in the morning (no wake-up alarm!!). It then recharged to 100% fairly quickly (less than an hour) from the wall charger. This is the 2nd time in the past week the unit has lost all power in a short time.
3) GPS sat lock-on sometimes just totally fails, and sometimes just takes a very long time.
4) Bluetooth is unreliable. I've had 3-4 times in the past week when it fails to pair with my car's speakerphone (Jabra SP700 in 1 car, Buick built in Bluetooth in the other) and wireless headset (Plantronics 510 Voyager). I have to go to the connections screen on the BB, turn off Bluetooth and wait a minute, then re-enable it and it works afterward. It seems that this is a Bluetooth driver problem on the phone as I never had any problems with my 8820 a month ago.
5) Is it just me, or is the month view in calendar more difficult to use. They left a lot of open space in the appointment blocks, and overlapping appointments now require a left or right move on the trackpoint to see what's there. Maybe I'm used to the old calendar, but this is just awkward now.
6) and where are my apps! I'm still waiting for Amazon (Kindle and buying) and Etrade to produce 9300 compatible apps. This part isn't a 6.0 specific rant, but it seems like the Curve 3G isn't really on many developer's radar.
Don't get me wrong, I like the direction that 6.0 is going and it's got a lot of cool screen slides and fade in/outs. But it's very early in the cycle and mostly usable, but there are some big "gotchas" too.
Is anyone else having any of these problems?