BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/)
-   -   Storm Battery Life (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/161003-storm-battery-life.html)

Donbp 11-23-2008 04:45 AM

Storm Battery Life
 
I have only seen one previous post somewhere about somebody complaining about battery life. With doing very little calling, lots of playing and normal weekend email levels my battery is barely lasting a day. I do have Bluetooth on all of the time and that may add to the drain but I am interested in what everybody else is experiencing.

My curve would lose one bar maybe in 24 hours under the same conditions.

Everything else about this phone has been great for me. The few bugs are annoying but certainly not a reason to return it, however if the battery life doesn't improve that might be. I'm not one to walk around with a pocked full of extra batteries.

BigA 11-23-2008 05:20 AM

Uhh, your curve comes no where near the power useage of your storm. Notice the screen size is twice the size not to mention it's a touch screen, lets also not forget about the processor is 2x the speed. Last but not least it's the radio is EVDO revA 3.5G.
So yeah even with a larger battery the storm sucks a lot power.

Can't have all those goodies with out some type of sacrifice. Just think those iPhone users have the same problem only they can't easily replace their batteries with out sending it into Apple for replacement, or get a bigger battery.

Donbp 11-23-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigA (Post 1179320)
Uhh, your curve comes no where near the power useage of your storm. Notice the screen size is twice the size not to mention it's a touch screen, lets also not forget about the processor is 2x the speed. Last but not least it's the radio is EVDO revA 3.5G.
So yeah even with a larger battery the storm sucks a lot power.

Can't have all those goodies with out some type of sacrifice. Just think those iPhone users have the same problem only they can't easily replace their batteries with out sending it into Apple for replacement, or get a bigger battery.

I'm not questioning the difference between the two, I am asking what are people experiencing. It seems ridiculous that RIM would not include a batter that would last a day with little use.

rachamphetamine 11-23-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donbp (Post 1179333)
It seems ridiculous that RIM would not include a batter that would last a day with little use.

Well, battery life depends on a few factors. You mentioned that you have Bluetooth on, which does drain the battery more, but also you could be in an area where it's the fringe of coverage - your phone might have to search harder for the EVDO signal, which can also drain the battery. CDMA technology also uses battery much faster than GSM, so it's not truly fair to compare them.

If you haven't already, try dimming the backlight as low as it'll go and you can still see everything on the screen just fine. This has helped me a lot with battery life in the past. Also, the battery management is something that can be fixed in a future software update.

Yes, it is frustrating, but there are steps that can be taken to fix the battery issues.

TheBigNewt 11-23-2008 11:26 AM

I'm also interested in what new Storm owners are getting in terms of battery life. By now we all know the spiel on how to improve it/why the Storm is different. The OP said his Storm barely lasts a day and his Curve lasted probably 3 with the same useage. To some (like me) a battery must last longer than one day, no matter what. Software updates don't fix batter drain either. What say you, new Curve owners?

bloggs96 11-23-2008 12:29 PM

Hi, on my Storm I was getting around 2 hours talktime with no bluetooth on or gps. Standy by with just 3G collecting emails, i get 14 hours or so.. GPS using vodafone find & go I get 1:20 mins.

I called vodafone.. they say they are having a LOT of complaints over battery life time and offered me a free 2nd battery! woohoo! saves me 30

Kris

Oh the guys at vodafone (2 people now) have said on average they are lasting 4 - 5 hours if you use them as normal. and I should buy a 2nd wall charger to use for work!

B~B 11-23-2008 12:41 PM

on my curve...i'll be lucky to get a day and half from a full charge with bt on. email and phone use only. that said, it spends a good portion of the day in the charging cradle at work so its usually at full charge. i suspect i'll have the same charging routine with the storm in it's cradle.

i'm slightly confused with the charging adapters for the storm though. rumor is that it uses a different type of connector than the one used in previous bbs and on my curve. if that is the case then hopefully i can find an adapter. i'd hate to purchase new travel and car chargers just for the storm.

TheBigNewt 11-23-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B~B (Post 1179626)
i'm slightly confused with the charging adapters for the storm though. rumor is that it uses a different type of connector than the one used in previous bbs and on my curve. if that is the case then hopefully i can find an adapter. i'd hate to purchase new travel and car chargers just for the storm.

It uses a microUSB connection, not miniUSB like the Curve. You can get adapters cheaply however.

B~B 11-23-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1179630)
It uses a microUSB connection, not miniUSB like the Curve. You can get adapters cheaply however.

yep. just found some on amazon for less that $2! (y)

Buddycuffs 11-23-2008 01:57 PM

My Storm lasted me just about a day off of a full charge. I'm guessing mine would last longer on regular days, but because this is still the first few days I've had it - I'm toying around with it more than usual.

WhizzledBlury 11-23-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1179630)
It uses a microUSB connection, not miniUSB like the Curve. You can get adapters cheaply however.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... WHAT?!??! I played with the thing in a VZW store for a good 20 minutes and didn't even realize that!!! MicroUSB instead of MiniUSB??? Wtf were they thinking?????? Please say you're joking!!

Louisxiii 11-23-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhizzledBlury (Post 1179707)
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... WHAT?!??! I played with the thing in a VZW store for a good 20 minutes and didn't even realize that!!! MicroUSB instead of MiniUSB??? Wtf were they thinking?????? Please say your joking!!

No joke. It is microUSB.

Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charging Adapter - MotoRazr Sync & Charge Solutions - MotoRazr

cfc7763 11-23-2008 05:47 PM

Wirelessly posted

Bloggs96 what did you say to the guys at Vodafone to get the battery I could do with saving myself 30

WhizzledBlury 11-23-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisxiii (Post 1179731)

Thanks for the link. I just bought 10 of 'em.

webmstrk9 11-23-2008 07:08 PM

I am going on 12 hours now with BT on constantly to a plantronics 925, been on conference calls for about 3 hours, emailing and texting, havent surfed much, tweaked a couple of settings, and I have 65% left.

For what it's worth, my signal now is -81 dBm

EDIT: for the 3 hours on the conf call, i was using the 925

nuts4bb 11-23-2008 07:42 PM

Storm Battery Life
 
With regard to the battery life, I am going on day number two of not charging it. I got the phone on friday, ran the battery dead immediately. Took it home turned it off gave it a full nights charge and woke up on saturday and haven't charged it yet. Its now 7:40 PM EST on sunday and I have one yellow bar left. I have used the phone plenty, done plenty of browsing and haven't put it down using BBM. I would say its pretty comparable to my curve. The phone is definately growing on me.

jnyost 11-23-2008 10:36 PM

Don't forget to do the normal full charge, full die, for at least 3 times. I helped tremendously with my Pearl and my Curve. I'm in the midst of doing it to the storm.

TroyDBrown 11-23-2008 10:38 PM

This covers the Storm as well and addresses the myths.

Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

Jonilee Herger 11-24-2008 09:51 AM

I got a full day of usage out of one charge. I recently dimmed the backlight to try to squeeze some extra juice out of it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.