BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default GoogleMaps

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen numerous posts about getting GMaps working on the storm. I am aware that the GPS is not implemented as of right now, maybe one day we will figure it out, or Google will change the app.

However, I have installed, removed, and installed several times. No matter what, when I start GMaps, the keyboard comes up, and I can not get rid of it. There is no option in the menu to hide the kb, and swiping it does not do the trick.

What am I doing wrong, if anyone knows.

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. I would love to get it working, I want to try using my external BT GPS puck.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
viet2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Model: 9530
OS: v4.7.0.90
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 98
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Have you tried swiping it starting with the top button? Rather than the whole screen (like an HTC).
__________________
Blackberry 9530 Storm v4.7.0.90 (Platform 4.0.0.128)
Offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IL
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

here is one thing you can try

options > advanced options > applications > click on google maps

click on options button , and select "disable compatibility mode"
Offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
Have you tried swiping it starting with the top button? Rather than the whole screen (like an HTC).
Yeap no go. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal64 View Post
here is one thing you can try

options > advanced options > applications > click on google maps

click on options button , and select "disable compatibility mode"
That did it. Thanks a bunch. But no option for a BT gps. Shucks.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IL
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

no problem,

yea, i am waiting for that too,
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can't scroll around the map with the touch screen

I was having the keyboard problem as well, and the "disable compatibility mode" worked for me as well. However, I cannot scroll around the map with the touchscreen. It is frozen in place no matter which screen I zoom in on. Funny thing is that I can scroll around the screen when I have the compatibility mode enabled.

I'm trying to reinstall the app, which I moved over from my pearl, but the google maps mobile website only has a "visit now" link which then sends me to the products site (e.g., to select google maps) and I go around in circles.

Anyway, has anyone had these problems?

Thanks!
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbenzo View Post
I was having the keyboard problem as well, and the "disable compatibility mode" worked for me as well. However, I cannot scroll around the map with the touchscreen. It is frozen in place no matter which screen I zoom in on. Funny thing is that I can scroll around the screen when I have the compatibility mode enabled.

I'm trying to reinstall the app, which I moved over from my pearl, but the google maps mobile website only has a "visit now" link which then sends me to the products site (e.g., to select google maps) and I go around in circles.

Anyway, has anyone had these problems?

Thanks!

try using your storm's browser, and go to m.google.com. No www in front of it.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredwrx View Post
try using your storm's browser, and go to m.google.com. No www in front of it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did that. Right now, if you go to "http :// m.google.com" now with your regular computer browser (e.g., IE7), and then click on "maps", there is no "download" link to access, only a "visit now" link. Perhaps google is not allowing any downloads of google maps at the moment.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbenzo View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did that. Right now, if you go to "http :// m.google.com" now with your regular computer browser (e.g., IE7), and then click on "maps", there is no "download" link to access, only a "visit now" link. Perhaps google is not allowing any downloads of google maps at the moment.
Definitely possible. Hopefully they will have an updated version soon.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I downloaded it last night by going to igoogle on my home computer and then choose google maps. It then has an option to send a link to your cell in a text message. When the message came I just clicked the link and it added it in the apps folder.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lehi, UT
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.75
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 373
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

To get it on the storm use your blackberry browser and visit www.google.com/gmm
__________________
Dan Hendriksen
Offline  
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
ije
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 12
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
Wirelessly posted

To get it on the storm use your blackberry browser and visit Google Maps
Google Maps downloaded and working. Street View working as well. Yet to get the GPS to pick it up but somehow its using cell triangulation to get close location. Just downloaded version 2.3.2 and installed it.
__________________
BlackBerry Club Newbie
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnharley View Post
I downloaded it last night by going to igoogle on my home computer and then choose google maps. It then has an option to send a link to your cell in a text message. When the message came I just clicked the link and it added it in the apps folder.
Yeah, I tried that too. Sends me to the same URL I discussed above. No google maps in my app folder either. Hopefully, there is just a problem with the google maps site at the moment.

As mentioned, the only way I have been able to get Google maps right now is is to move the app over from my BB Pearl. However, when I do that, there is a problem with scrolling on the touch screen that I mentioned above.

Bummer right now at least.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Google maps finally allows the download now, and the app finally works. I really like the zoom in, zoom out buttons on the touch screen. Although the GM version on the Pearl is the same as the one that was on my Storml, the Pearl did not have these soft buttons on the screen. Must only be for the touch screen models???
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i just talked to a representative at verizon and asked about the Google maps. she said that the gps works on the bb maps prog and vznav but is disables from Google. i asked why and she said thats how we have the phones set up. hopefully that will change.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
TBOLTRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Model: 4S
OS: 7.0.4
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 5,230
Post Thanks: 69
Thanked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Default Try the 8830 Trick

First get BB maps working and then start Google Maps. That is the only way I can get Google Maps to pick up the Freedom GPS signal with my 8830. Somehow the GPS information is being passed by BB maps to Google Maps. The issue with Google Maps not picking up the GPS signal is not specific to the Storm.

What do you have to lose by trying?
__________________
We will spend our old age surrounded by idiots following government rules.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAX, NYC, CHI, STL, BOS, PHL
Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint
Posts: 863
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbenzo View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did that. Right now, if you go to "http :// m.google.com" now with your regular computer browser (e.g., IE7), and then click on "maps", there is no "download" link to access, only a "visit now" link. Perhaps google is not allowing any downloads of google maps at the moment.
here's a shortcut: http://www.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.zip
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 331
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp0090 View Post
i just talked to a representative at verizon and asked about the Google maps. she said that the gps works on the bb maps prog and vznav but is disables from Google. i asked why and she said thats how we have the phones set up. hopefully that will change.
Someone needs to examine the OS files on the compputer and find the line of code that disables GMaps. I will try to do this when I get my Storm in a couple of days. 73
Offline  
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone using Google Maps on a Blackberry Storm 9530 that is unlocked for T-mobile?
The program itself is working perfectly. GPS location is also working, however cell tower triangulation is not working. It is really strange. If I am outside in view of the sky it will pinpoint my location within 5 meters. If I am indoors, google maps will have no idea where on the planet I am.

From what I have read, it seems like for Verizon users, Google Maps does the opposite. Cell tower triangulation works, but GPS does not.

Anyone else experiencing something similar on an unlocked 9530.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.