BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
aarontoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default David Pogue: BlackBerry Storm "a marathon of frustration" - agree or disagree?

Please Login to Remove!

If you haven't already read it, check out Pogue's review of the BlackBerry Storm in today's New York Times. For those of you who were lucky enough to get your hands on a Storm, do you agree or disagree? As a seasoned BlackBerry user, I just can't wrap my thumbs around the idea of a 'berry without a keyboard. I currently have a Bold and it's by far the best BlackBerry I have used to date.
__________________
BlackBerry Bold 9000
Rogers Wireless
4.6.0.185 OS
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma WA
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Looks like you answered your own question....if you cant imagine using a BB without a keypad..then this is not for you. You would get the Bold (great device).

The Storm has some issues, but as many others on here have said, I dont see any that can't be fixed by software updates. The one fact will not change though...it will always be a virtual keypad...so you have to accept that much to even consider it.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mastdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 127
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

WOW

I have to say, as a current Curve owner, what he writes is just about what has been written here, or what I saw when I had my hands on it for 15 minutes. It was a shame that I was showing the VZW sales rep tricks on the BB. I mean all he could say was, look at that browser lol..anyway, I think your question is spot on in asking owners what they think,, but just a quick browse of the topics in here show what he writes is correct.

Sometimes we are all wrapped up in the sugary goodness that is BB to think they could produce something that was not just right. I am going to go check out the Storm on Friday in depth and then decide, but thanks for the post and the link...
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 724
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
WOW

I have to say, as a current Curve owner, what he writes is just about what has been written here, or what I saw when I had my hands on it for 15 minutes. It was a shame that I was showing the VZW sales rep tricks on the BB. I mean all he could say was, look at that browser lol..anyway, I think your question is spot on in asking owners what they think,, but just a quick browse of the topics in here show what he writes is correct.

Sometimes we are all wrapped up in the sugary goodness that is BB to think they could produce something that was not just right. I am going to go check out the Storm on Friday in depth and then decide, but thanks for the post and the link...
I have to disagree. Most of what he writes is his displeasure with the core functionality of the device, and not necessarily the device itself. Just like he doesn't like SurePress. Just because he doesn't like, doesn't mean other will not. Just like tapping the screen lightly, he thinks it's a waste, while other like the idea. He thinks pressing in on the screen is too much work, while other like it. He mentions the lack of Wifi. While wifi would be a nice addition, it doesn't make or break the device. He does mention lag and a few bugs but the core of his review doesn't get past the UI or actual functionality of the device. He didn't like it from the moment it touched his hands and the review shows. Hell, he even says he can't get past the typing aspect thus the review is pointless. IMHO, it's a tad biased, but to say the least, it wasn't a honest review of the entire device.
While there are some units that operate better than others, there are plenty of people who really like their new BlackBerry. And a lot of other people, who despite the negative reviews, have already ordered and will be standing in line the weeks to come to get the newest touchscreen BlackBerry.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 93
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I totally agree with his article. My Storm is going back and I'll stay with my curve.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
PDXbyStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's pretty obvious he didn't spend long with it. (He never said "after xx days...."

After four days I've gotten used to it and type as fast--if not faster--than I did on my Palm 700p.

I haven't had any of the bugs he experienced.

He said "I havenít found a soul who tried this machine who wasnít appalled, baffled or both."

Well, just as he didn't spend much time getting to know the phone, he obviously didn't spend much time talking to people. He missed me, anyway.

To me this is such a major upgrade over my Palm, it's ridiculous. Not everyone is going to compare it to a BOLD, which, if you're under contract with Verizon, you can't get now anyway. How about comparing it to the universe of phones out there, and not just other Blackberrys?
__________________
Various car/early devices from '92-'00 >> Kyocera 6035 >> Palm 600 >> Palm 650 >> Palm 700p >> BB Storm
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I completely agree with Pogue's review. I spent about 10 minutes
at the local Verizon store with the storm and was appalled at how slow,
not responsive this device is.Anyone doing alot of typing will get exhausted
after 3 or 4 emails,I guarantee it.Many people next to me agreed with me
and decided not to buy one.


This device,in my opinion,was rushed to market.I wouldn't buy it for 50
bucks.Now if the Bold comes out next year with Verizon I'll be standing in line for one.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I haven't read his article, but I can tell from Jason's comments that it is mostly the guy's opinion, which is well....you know what opinions are like.

I've used BB's for the last 4 1/2 years and today got my hands on a Storm (for about 10 minutes). The little bit that I used it made me drool - I loved it.

I HATED the iPhone. I had one for about a month and couldn't stand typing on it since I couldn't tell when I actually hit a key or what letter/number/symbol I was going to get.

The SurePress is great in that I don't get s letter/number/symbol without a tactile response. Priceless.

I think those that have never used a BlackBerry will be more open to the Storm than those that have used BB's.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 65
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

for sure keeping this storm alon with my G1 =D
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Frank Castle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MA
Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,073
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

There is another thread on this that I commented on but it should be noted Pogue is a huge Pro-Apple guy.

I have no doubt this device makes Apple nervous. I also agree it needed a little more time to be fully baked but no one questioned Apple with all the iPhone issues.

I get asked weekly "what device should I get", I've used them all and I always answer. Get a device that fits your needs. There is no perfect device. Each will have a trade-off. Pogue (and other reviewers) are frankly reacting to having for years been used to the standard BB. The Storm while trying to remain true to it's roots will right off the bat feel ackward to a previous BB user.

I see the Storm as a hybrid device to attract new users to the BB platform that is more lifestyle focused then corporate workhorse.

Our units won't be in till next week and once I get some in-depth time with the device (and whatever updates it needs) I'll submit my thoughts.

For now the Bold is a really nice BB.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
drewhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I always wondered why my republican friends said the NYT was biased... ha... now I know! LOL... Pogue's review smacks of pro-apple and someone who has used the BB Storm for a couple of hours.

I have really liked my new storm since I got it early on Friday morning... and I am enjoying it more and more every day.

Sure... there are some problems... but I expected that. This phone ROCKS!!! I am coming from an 8830 and have no problems with the virtual keyboard... went to the 8830 from the 8703 and to the 8703 from the Palm 700p... which was the world's BIGGEST piece of SH*T I ever had to use.

Different strokes boys and girls...

The New BlackBerry Storm is a great device and I don't understand why peeps are dissing it so badly without even giving it a chance...

Just my 2 cents...

-gobble -gobble
__________________
_____________________________________________

In God we trust... all others bring data.

Last edited by drewhazard : 11-26-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
jz214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Model: STORM
OS: v4.7.0.65
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree with drewhazard. I have been reading all week opinions by people who have barely used the device. Playing wiuth the Storm 15-20 minutes in a store is not enough time to give an honest feedback. Besides I would also venture that the demonstrator BB in the store has been punched, dropped, and generally abused so the buggy nature could be attributed to that. I've had this devide since last Saturday evening. I was thinking of returning it on Sunday, because I was so used to my 8830. Now, after just 4 days, I am happy I kept it. It is a great piece of engineering and does so much more than my 8830. That's my 2 and 1/2 cents.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post

I think those that have never used a BlackBerry will be more open to the Storm than those that have used BB's.
Yep, I'm in that boat.

A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to update my technology and get a mobile device that I could send and receive email on, (I'm a freelancer and need to respond to clients about booking jobs quickly). I thought about the iPhone - but realized the fees associated with switching carriers would really be a PITA. I have three phones through Verizon and would have to pay a termination fee for each line... before paying for the iPhone handset.

I looked at getting a BlackBerry and asked some colleagues which they liked better, the Pearl or the Curve. One replied and said "Wait for the Storm!" I had no idea a month ago that such a device was coming out. I was very excited and was lucky enough to get one on 11/21.

I absolutely love it. Sure there are minimal things that I wish I could do (or maybe haven't yet figured out how to do), but overall it's great. I love the SurePress and typing on it is not a huge pain at all, once you've spent a day or two working on it and reading handy tips/tricks on the web. It's all about the thumbs, maybe the nay-sayers are trying to use it as a laptop? The "keys" do light up as your fingers touch them so, unless you're trying to type without looking down at the keyboard (as we were all taught in our high school Typing classes), you do have some sense of where your fingers are and what key you are about to press down.

I showed the phone to a colleague who owns an iPhone and I was explaining the "touch and press" functions and so I had her launch the Browser. With her index finger she delicately tapped the icon and it did nothing. I told her to just place your finger on the icon and press. This to me summed up the fundamental difference that users who are used to other touch screen interfaces may be complaining about.

About six months ago, I tried an LG Dare and couldn't scroll anything without selecting or invoking whatever I touched. That steered me away from touch-screens devices. I bought the Storm pretty much sight unseen, (other than watching web demos) so I was taking a very large leap in faith that it would be the device I wanted and I can honestly say whole-heartedly that it has met my needs and exceeded them. But then again, this is my first BB so maybe I'm just "giddy"?

Sorry for the long post...
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 724
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For those who may not be familiar with who David Pogue is, I can tell you that he's Apple's secret weapon.

He is the "only" journalist to be given a look at the iPhone before it's debut. Then to take it a step further, behind closed doors he was allowed to use the iPhone so the very moment it was released, he could write a glowing report about the phone that "would change the way we communicate".

In fact he and Steve Jobs are fast friends. A very long time Apple Evangelist, Pogue has a long history of sucking up to Apple and writing glowing reports about Apple products, no matter what the facts are. Each year when MacWorld San Francisco rolls around he's already seen whatever the "secret product" is that is about to be unveiled on stage by Jobs. He is a one man talking Apple commercial. So that my friends are the facts as I know them. No guessing, no golly gee wiz, but cold hard facts of who this man is and the role he plays.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I read through his article and will attempt to address some things he stated:

He often complains about the typing, the photo of the hand typing on the keyboard shows him using his index finger.... use your thumbs, just like you're supposed to for other keyboard based BB's. (and he mentions that in the article "Hello? Isnít the thumb keyboard the defining feature of a BlackBerry?") The index finger approach is very common among iPhone users.

He also snidely comments: "A BlackBerry without a keyboard is like an iPod without a scroll wheel." I suppose he's never seen or reviewed an iPod Touch then?

"you could design a brilliant operating system where the two kinds of taps do two different things. Tap lightly to type a letter ó click fully to get a pop-up menu of accented characters (ť, Ť, Ž and so on)."

It does, if you're typing and you hover over a letter while touching, it will show you alternate characters... click to commit.

"On the Storm, a light touch highlights the key but doesnít type anything. It accomplishes nothing ó a wasted software-design opportunity. Only by clicking fully do you produce a typed letter."

His tone makes anyone who may take stock in his review that it's some sort of physically exerting activity to lightly press down on the screen. Personally, I find it to be an asset that "a light touch highlights the key but doesnít type anything." No accidental mistypes of adjacent letters, if you're aware of the highlighting. I can run my finger over the keyboard and not get a message with "qwertyuiop" in it.

"Itís no help that the Storm shows you two different keyboards, depending on how youíre holding it"

I'm not sure why this is "bad"? A more unbiased review would've stated... "the Storm shows you two different keyboards, depending on how youíre holding it" and left off the "It's no help" comment.

"offer an @ key when addressing e-mail."

It's not that difficult to quickly switch to "numbers" mode and hit the @ symbol with your right thumb. (though, it would've been nice for the @ symbol to be on the ABC level of the QWERTY keyboard)

"even if your finger seems to be squarely on the proper item, your click often winds up activating something else in the list."

The item you're touching will always highlight, so, I'm not sure how you would ever activate something else? Unless you are not paying attention to the highlighting.

"To scroll a list, youíre supposed to flick your finger across the screen, just as on the iPhone. But even this simple act is head-bangingly frustrating; the phone takes far too long to figure out that youíre swiping and not just tapping."

You can adjust the scroll rate in the Settings... I cranked mine up to 6 (the highest) and again have no such issues.

"My favorite: When I try to enter my Gmail address, the Stormís camera starts up unexpectedly, turning the screen into a viewfinder ó even though the keyboard still fills half the screen"

I did see this once... but I also had my right-side convenience key set to Camera... since changing it to Calendar, no problems.

I may not be a high-paid NYTimes reporter, but I am pretty tech-savvy and have opinions of my own. I encourage everyone to give the phone more than a week with heavy use before drawing any conclusions. And tweak your settings to optimize it to suit you.
Offline  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DonJose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.442
PIN: 21A21D4B
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 94
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenton.vannatten View Post
I read through his article and will attempt to address some things he stated:

He often complains about the typing, the photo of the hand typing on the keyboard shows him using his index finger.... use your thumbs, just like you're supposed to for other keyboard based BB's. (and he mentions that in the article "Hello? Isnít the thumb keyboard the defining feature of a BlackBerry?") The index finger approach is very common among iPhone users.

He also snidely comments: "A BlackBerry without a keyboard is like an iPod without a scroll wheel." I suppose he's never seen or reviewed an iPod Touch then?

"you could design a brilliant operating system where the two kinds of taps do two different things. Tap lightly to type a letter ó click fully to get a pop-up menu of accented characters (ť, Ť, Ž and so on)."

It does, if you're typing and you hover over a letter while touching, it will show you alternate characters... click to commit.

"On the Storm, a light touch highlights the key but doesnít type anything. It accomplishes nothing ó a wasted software-design opportunity. Only by clicking fully do you produce a typed letter."

His tone makes anyone who may take stock in his review that it's some sort of physically exerting activity to lightly press down on the screen. Personally, I find it to be an asset that "a light touch highlights the key but doesnít type anything." No accidental mistypes of adjacent letters, if you're aware of the highlighting. I can run my finger over the keyboard and not get a message with "qwertyuiop" in it.

"Itís no help that the Storm shows you two different keyboards, depending on how youíre holding it"

I'm not sure why this is "bad"? A more unbiased review would've stated... "the Storm shows you two different keyboards, depending on how youíre holding it" and left off the "It's no help" comment.

"offer an @ key when addressing e-mail."

It's not that difficult to quickly switch to "numbers" mode and hit the @ symbol with your right thumb. (though, it would've been nice for the @ symbol to be on the ABC level of the QWERTY keyboard)

"even if your finger seems to be squarely on the proper item, your click often winds up activating something else in the list."

The item you're touching will always highlight, so, I'm not sure how you would ever activate something else? Unless you are not paying attention to the highlighting.

"To scroll a list, youíre supposed to flick your finger across the screen, just as on the iPhone. But even this simple act is head-bangingly frustrating; the phone takes far too long to figure out that youíre swiping and not just tapping."

You can adjust the scroll rate in the Settings... I cranked mine up to 6 (the highest) and again have no such issues.

"My favorite: When I try to enter my Gmail address, the Stormís camera starts up unexpectedly, turning the screen into a viewfinder ó even though the keyboard still fills half the screen"

I did see this once... but I also had my right-side convenience key set to Camera... since changing it to Calendar, no problems.

I may not be a high-paid NYTimes reporter, but I am pretty tech-savvy and have opinions of my own. I encourage everyone to give the phone more than a week with heavy use before drawing any conclusions. And tweak your settings to optimize it to suit you.
You sir may not be a high paid NY times tech reporter, but you are way better than a certain one we all know Great response
__________________
DonJose
9700 Bold on TMO USA.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
I8UB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 164
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I got my storm the morning of 11/21. I have been a Curve user for years. I bought an iPhone 3G the day it came out and returned it on the last day of my 14-day trial period. It kept dropping calls (a deal-breaker), and the typing was just too difficult. Safari kept crashing and the apps from the app store would de-activate on sync and would have to be re-loaded. I was constantly clicking things by mistake.

It took a little while to get used to the Storm and learn how to do things. At first, there were a lot of frustrations. But the Surepress screen is brilliant. It is not hard to press and my thumbs don't get tired. Meanwhile, I am not mistakenly clicking on things like with the iPhone. I find typing very easy and accurate in landscape QWERTY.

Now, the software can be a bit laggy and the accelerometer sometimes doesn't switch quickly or at all. There are some poor UI designs, like how there is no way to truly lock the screen "off" (even when it is locked, any press of the screen will light it up in your pocket, thus draining the battery), and your cheek can press buttons during a call, etc.

But the software will be upgraded. The hardware is much better than the iPhone's and the concept of "highlight then confirm" is brilliant.

If you're like my boss who is never without a blackberry in his hand and needs to crank out message after message all day long, then stick with the Bold. Don't even bother with an iPhone or Storm. But if you want a strong emailing device with great multimedia features, get a Storm. If you want a great iPod that also does basic email, then get an iPhone.

The Storm isn't perfect, but IMHO, it is (or, after some OS upgrades, will be) better than the iPhone 3g (which is a 2nd generation device).
Offline  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default He's spot on with some of his comments

I own 2 Blackberry Storms' and I totally agree the Storm has problems. Many of them. If you shake the Storm the battery even shakes in the phone somewhat:( The phone will be a beast 10 months down the road. ATM the phones seems like an "Alpha or Beta" than a consumer product.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Switzerland
Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange CH
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
I bought an iPhone 3G the day it came out and returned it on the last day of my 14-day trial period. It kept dropping calls (a deal-breaker), and the typing was just too difficult. Safari kept crashing and the apps from the app store would de-activate on sync and would have to be re-loaded. I was constantly clicking things by mistake.
the call-dropping issue and Safari's stability problems have long been solved by software updates. The app-deactivation is caused by your not authenticating your iTunes account on the desktop computer with the same credentials that you used on the iPhone. It's a DRM thing - technically it's a feature, albeit an annoying one.
This just in case you want to give the iPhone 3G another try. Not that I could live entirely without my blackberry - I'm using an iPhone for the weekend and a blackberry for work.

peter
Offline  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 279
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Remember, the NY Times is so biased it is beyond belief. Why it even endorsed Barck Hussein Obama so it should come as no surprise it likes the lousy i Phone!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.