BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/)
-   -   3G signal instead 1xEV (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/163287-3g-signal-instead-1xev.html)

taichi 12-04-2008 11:12 AM

3G signal instead 1xEV
 
I just received Storm last night and have gone through the user guide. According to user guide, Verizon has categorized different signals shows on the device. 3G allows you to do voice and data simultaneously. 1xEV allows to have highspeed of data. I live in Houston, TX and supposedly in 3G zone. However, I don't see 3G shows on my device. Has anyone noticed it or experience with 3G on Storm? I played with iPhone before and some Window Mobile on AT&T network. I was able to do it.

StuartV 12-04-2008 11:18 AM

The Storm won't work on the 3G network in the U.S.. Only in Europe and other places.

TheBigNewt 12-04-2008 11:20 AM

Verizon's name for their 3g network is 1xEV. If you use the Storm on ATT or Tmobile it won't work on their 3g networks, only EDGE.

taichi 12-04-2008 11:24 AM

Does it mean on Verizon network, we can't do voice and data simultaneously??

TheBigNewt 12-04-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taichi (Post 1195845)
Does it mean on Verizon network, we can't do voice and data simultaneously??

I'm not sure, try it and see. I think you're supposed to be able to. It's a 3g network.

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 11:28 AM

If you are in full broadband mode; i.e. 1XEV then I believe you are able to use data/voice simultaneously.

soupandsandwich 12-04-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taichi (Post 1195845)
Does it mean on Verizon network, we can't do voice and data simultaneously??

Correct. EVDO does not support simultaneous voice and data.

The Truth 12-04-2008 11:56 AM

Can we get a solid answer on this. If 3G allows for simultaneous voice and data then Verizon would be sued for advertising as Americas largest 3G network if they are not true 3G. Correct?

soupandsandwich 12-04-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Truth (Post 1195911)
Can we get a solid answer on this. If 3G allows for simultaneous voice and data then Verizon would be sued for advertising as Americas largest 3G network if they are not true 3G. Correct?

No, not correct.
3G is just a moniker for "3rd Generation" wireless networks.
It doesn't automatically dictate a feature set or specifications.

EVDO (for CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint) is a 3G wireless networking topology, but it does not support simultaneous voice and data.

HSDPA/UMTS (for GSM carriers such as AT&T) is a 3G wireless networking topology that does support simultaneous voice and data.

There's no such thing as "true 3G".

The Truth 12-04-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupandsandwich (Post 1195917)
No, not correct.
3G is just a moniker for "3rd Generation" wireless networks.
It doesn't automatically dictate a feature set or specifications.

EVDO (for CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint) is a 3G wireless networking topology, but it does not support simultaneous voice and data.

HSDPA/UMTS (for GSM carriers such as AT&T) is a 3G wireless networking topology that does support simultaneous voice and data.

There's no such thing as "true 3G".

So basically 3G is just a marketing term and has no official standard? Then EDGE would also qualify as 3G which confuses me even more because the original iPhone would then qualify as 3G.

soupandsandwich 12-04-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Truth (Post 1196346)
So basically 3G is just a marketing term and has no official standard?

Correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Truth (Post 1196346)
Then EDGE would also qualify as 3G which confuses me even more because the original iPhone would then qualify as 3G.

EDGE is not considered 3G. Edge is considered 2.5G, or sometimes 2.75G.

webmstrk9 12-04-2008 09:23 PM

I concur with soupandsandwich's answers to all of the above.

taichi 12-04-2008 10:31 PM

I have tested. Verizon Storm 9530 can't do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon CDMA network. This is not good considering AT&T has this feature over iPhone and Bold.

strogonowski 12-04-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taichi (Post 1196909)
I have tested. Verizon Storm 9530 can't do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon CDMA network. This is not good considering AT&T has this feature over iPhone and Bold.

One small issue with that. While it is a great option when it works, most of the time I had to disable 3G on my iPhone so I wouldn't drop calls (never dropped a call on EDGE).

Same goes for Bold, few people that have it in my office also report dropped calls but they don't have an option to disable 3G.

Haven't dropped single call on Storm yet...knock on wood.

jsntrenkler 12-05-2008 12:53 AM

I don't miss getting text messages or emails while I am on the phone. Verizon's 3G may not support voice + data during the same transaction, however it is much faster than what I experienced on my iPhone 3G .. Tons faster!

lambdacoreaz 12-05-2008 03:47 AM

You can recieve texts but not emails...on EDGE I actually could (using my curve) recieve emails and texts as well as use certian applications that utilized a phone connection...

im actually disappointed in verizons network, although I did do research and it's the best out there, which is sad because I too had never had a problem keeping phone calls from dropping with edge...but with 1XEV, if i move two feet in the wrong direction, phone call's done...lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.