BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
nle801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

The Verizon Rep at the store I frequent informed me that there is no need for a screen protector. He took his keys out and struck the screen several times on the demo unit in the store... NO damage! He said the only reason he felt comfortable enough to do it is because he saw someone take a knife to it... again NO damage.
Offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Neurobit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.109
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nle801 View Post
The Verizon Rep at the store I frequent informed me that there is no need for a screen protector. He took his keys out and struck the screen several times on the demo unit in the store... NO damage! He said the only reason he felt comfortable enough to do it is because he saw someone take a knife to it... again NO damage.
Agree.

These screens are glass, not plastic like previous BBs, and it would take a very hard material to make any damage.
The only problem with the naked screen is that it is a magnet for fingerprints, where the invisible shield seems to repel them...

Paul
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #43 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

invisible shields aren't just body protectors guys. They're full body protectors.

I probably won't even put the IS on the screen, but I'll put it on the body.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Neurobit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.109
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfadex View Post
invisible shields aren't just body protectors guys. They're full body protectors.

I probably won't even put the IS on the screen, but I'll put it on the body.
Yup, that's what I did.
I removed the screen and left the back, top & bottom pieces on for protection.
I like the rubbery, sticky feel on the back plate (helps it hold on when I put in on the center console of my vehicle).
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
nle801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does it present a problem when you try to put it in your case?
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Neurobit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.109
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nle801 View Post
Does it present a problem when you try to put it in your case?
Nope.
I have the Blackberry branded leather case and it is a tad snugger with the shield installed, but still slides in and out fine. You get used to it after a few tries.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRob1984 View Post
I just bought some of the Verizon/BlackBerry screen protectors. It fits perfectly, and made sure there were no air bubbles. When people see/hold/use my phone, they don't even realize it's on there, lol.

EDIT - Oh, and I bought the silicon "body" protector from Verizon/BlackBerry as well - highly recommended.
I have the silicon case and verizon screen protector too. The case is decent but I've been using the screen protector for about a week and it's already covered in small scratches and looks pretty bad. I guess I'm going to go with the IS.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
taeisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GA
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well after reading this thread, I ordered the IS full body for my Storm. Thank you for the tips!
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
WhiteRob1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.90
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbretly View Post
I have the silicon case and verizon screen protector too. The case is decent but I've been using the screen protector for about a week and it's already covered in small scratches and looks pretty bad. I guess I'm going to go with the IS.
Wow, that's strange! I've had mine on since I bought the phone (2 weeks), and I have not one scratch. Did you make sure you pulled off the protective cover from both sides of the screen protector?
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRob1984 View Post
Wow, that's strange! I've had mine on since I bought the phone (2 weeks), and I have not one scratch. Did you make sure you pulled off the protective cover from both sides of the screen protector?
No, I'll have to check it out. Also on the IS: for those that have it, how did you squeegee the excess solution on the screen and keep it from going down the gap between the screen and sides?
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #51 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That was it, I didn't have the little piece of plastic on the front taken off. Now it looks great, thanks. I think I might keep this protector on and just use the IS for the body of the phone.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
USA
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 9530
OS: .151
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default IMHO -- Body Yes, Screen No

I knew of the Invisible Shield quality prior buying my Storm. I'm also aware of the need for the IS -- my old BlackBerry 7130c's unprotected plastic screen has some bad scratches from sharing a pocket with my car keys. However, the Storm came with a protector already attached so I didn't buy the IS right away. Once the freebie protector started to show wear I purchased and installed the full body IS. It looked bad initially but as I suspected over the next few days looked better and better.

I've had issues with typing on the touch screen from the beginning. I made the changes to sensitivity, speed, etc... recommended on this forum and that helped quite a bit. Also, I've continued to upgrade my handheld software when possible and am now running .76 from Bell Mobility and that too has helped _alot_. Yet, after more than a month I'm still not nearly as fast or accurate typing on the Storm as I used to be with my 7130c SureType real keyboard. Now using the IS for about two weeks I was really getting to suspect that the protectors I've been using were requiring me to press just a bit more than seemed appropriate. Most of the time with a screen protector on things were ok but one night after trying and trying to make a selection on the pop-up menu I tore off the screen protector. Imediately I noticed a big difference in the effort required to make the screen respond. For me this is better without the screen protector. I'm going to leave it off. I've kept the rest of the body covered for now but the screen protector has been sacked. I've got insurance for that.

One more thing I need to do is get the Torx #7 driver and back out the screen adjustment screws.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 158
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by India001 View Post
Hello . Has anyone purchased the Invisible Shield by Zagg for their Strom? if so is it good? Trying to figure out whether to buy it or not.
They are okay but its very overpriced. You can get basically the same product from Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
WhiteRob1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.90
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbretly View Post
That was it, I didn't have the little piece of plastic on the front taken off. Now it looks great, thanks. I think I might keep this protector on and just use the IS for the body of the phone.
HaHa, that's what I thought!

I was gonna' say, there's no way to even tell I had a screen protector on my phone, and there shouldn't be on yours either. Then I thought about what you had said in your OP, and I was thinking it had to be that front screen protector piece, lol. I'm glad you got it all worked out now - you'll like it, and it doesn't affect sensitivity at all (as far as I can tell).

EDIT - Also, I really like the Verizon/BlackBerry silicon "body" protector too. It doesn't add any bulk to the phone, and helps you grip the phone better as well...

Last edited by WhiteRob1984 : 12-22-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRob1984 View Post
HaHa, that's what I thought!

I was gonna' say, there's no way to even tell I had a screen protector on my phone, and there shouldn't be on yours either. Then I thought about what you had said in your OP, and I was thinking it had to be that front screen protector piece, lol. I'm glad you got it all worked out now - you'll like it, and it doesn't affect sensitivity at all (as far as I can tell).

EDIT - Also, I really like the Verizon/BlackBerry silicon "body" protector too. It doesn't add any bulk to the phone, and helps you grip the phone better as well...
Yeah, the silicon case is nice but it still leaves the upper/lower glossy black part of the phone exposed, although these pieces seem pretty scratch/scuff resistant so far.
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #56 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: near Tampa
Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

not fun to put on. I bought the whole thing, put on the screen cover, top and bottom face cover. got to the sides and it was just too much of a pain in the ass.
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlotte
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I isntalled the IS on everything but the screen and used the verizon screen protectors for the screen since I think it feels better. Take your time with the IS and you will love it! The cases, covers, etc take away from the appearance of the phone, IMAO.
Offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PHLAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.151
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 351
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebeau View Post
not fun to put on. I bought the whole thing, put on the screen cover, top and bottom face cover. got to the sides and it was just too much of a pain in the ass.
I agree, I took me as long to install both sides as it did every other pieces, and I ended up taking them off because I liked the rubber grip better. Next time I'm just going to get the screen protector, it's no big deal if any other part of the phone gets scratched.
__________________
</PHLAK>

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #59 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How long did it take the small air bubbles to dissapear? It's been around 24hrs since I installed mine and the back portion still has about 10 little air bubbles in it that I thought would disapear by now. I guess if they don't go away I'll try to reapply the back portion.

Last edited by bsbretly : 12-26-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #60 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Neurobit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.109
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbretly View Post
How long did it take the small air bubbles to dissapear? It's been around 24hrs since I installed mine and the back portion still has about 10 little air bubbles in it that I thought would disapear by now. I guess if they don't go away I'll try to reapply the back portion.
Hang tight and don't remove it.
Mine did the same, and after a couple - three days, they were all gone.

Paul
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.