BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 9530
PIN: TAIL ON DONKEY
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 49
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Phone Dialing

Please Login to Remove!

Coming from an 8830 to storm, I liked how on my 8830 I could just start dialing from the main screen and it would start putting in numbers and also below that start pulling up contacts to match the letters entered. Is there a way to set the storm to do this?

IE, say you hit 23. This would display 23 at the top, but then below that pull up any contact that started with E R. Or if you hit keys that weren't also numbers, then it would just start filtering down your contact list, like N I.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree. That would be a nice feature.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo51 View Post
Coming from an 8830 to storm, I liked how on my 8830 I could just start dialing from the main screen and it would start putting in numbers and also below that start pulling up contacts to match the letters entered. Is there a way to set the storm to do this?

IE, say you hit 23. This would display 23 at the top, but then below that pull up any contact that started with E R. Or if you hit keys that weren't also numbers, then it would just start filtering down your contact list, like N I.

Thanks
Coming from an 8703 I thus far find dialing contacts and "speed" numbers on the Storm a chore. The voice dialing is practically worthless if the contact has more than 1 phone number. It takes longer to play 20 questions than to just dial the number.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 265
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i have my contacts on my front screen that accually works really good for me because i just click it then scroll to the contact i want.. as for voice dialing i just say "call Gene Mobile" or what ever contact you want and it works great you can say home or work as well ofcourse...
Offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's called "quick dialing" and I too miss it. If you have contacts that you frequently access but don't want to add them to speed dial, I found an easy way to have them show up every time you access the phone. Simply edit each of your favorite contacts by adding a space in front of the person's first name. This will put that person at the top of your contacts list. In phone mode go to options>general options>initial view and change to Contacts. Now, all I do is hit the phone hard key and my most accessed numbers appear (or appear with a quick thumb scroll).
Offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
i have my contacts on my front screen that accually works really good for me because i just click it then scroll to the contact i want.. as for voice dialing i just say "call Gene Mobile" or what ever contact you want and it works great you can say home or work as well ofcourse...
I didn't know you could give a multi-part voice command like "call Kathy Home". Unfortunately it only gets it right about 30% of the time. The rest of the time is starts asking "did you say..." Thanks for the info though.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Model: Storm
OS: Mac OS X
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I really do miss calling from the home screen. That was one thing that makes the Blackberry OS efficient.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter

Check out my blog: Mobile Mike
Offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree....does anyone know if an update is coming to fix this?
Offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Add me to the list. I miss that feature as well. Trying to scroll through 500+ clients isn't the easiest task. That would be near the top of my wish list on any new OS update.
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is one of the features a miss the most since I use it daily.
Here's my workaround for now:
* Press the phone button
* Press the 'contacts' icon - not needed if this is the default view
* Click into the find box
* Start typing the contact's name
* Finally dial the number

It's a little bit of a pain, does anyone have a faster - less keystrokes - solution?

Last edited by forumguy : 01-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.75
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use a program called PocketDay Start. It puts an icon on your home screen and you set up you photo id speed dials. When you click on a contact it brings up every number associated with that contact. Click one and your done. A "must have" in my opinion.
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston, Ma
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.75
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Quick route to Contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
This is one of the features a miss the most since I use it daily.
Here's my workaround for now:
* Press the phone button
* Press the 'contacts' icon - not needed if this is the default view
* Click into the find box
* Start typing the contact's name
* Finally dial the number

It's a little bit of a pain, does anyone have a faster - less keystrokes - solution?

If you hold the green phone button down for an extra second, it will pull up your contact list thus eliminating the need to click on the contact icon. Don't bother navigating to the "find" field... since your left thumb is already in the lower left corner, hit the "show keyboard" icon and start typing.... searches right away.

I have my default view in the phone app to be the call log and use the holding of the green phone button as a second view.

Last edited by esm54687 : 01-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
matt2meyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.76
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm54687 View Post
If you hold the green phone button down for an extra second, it will pull up your contact list thus eliminating the need to click on the contact icon. Don't bother navigating to the "find" field... since your left thumb is already in the lower left corner, hit the "show keyboard" icon and start typing.... searches right away.

I have my default view in the phone app to be the call log and use the holding of the green phone button as a second view.
GREAT shortcut esm! I can keep the green phone key default to Dial Pad and still ahve quick access to Contacts. Thanks for posting!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.