BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 59
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default aftermarket browser

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a better browser availble? youtube videos don't come in as clear as the iphone. I called verizon which they got me over to rim, and rim said the storm is capable of it but verizon network dosn't allow high speed streaming at this time like the iphone! Is this true? Look side by side iphone and storm and watch the same youtube video so you can compare apples to apples and look how grainy the sound and audio quality is compared to the iphone.

is there a fix for this? Or is the iphone the ultimate multimedia beast.
__________________
traded in my blackberry storm for a 8520!

Saving 600 dollars a year by switching from verizon to tmobile!
Offline  
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TheBigNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott, AZ
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 1,641
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1sony View Post
Is there a better browser availble? youtube videos don't come in as clear as the iphone. I called verizon which they got me over to rim, and rim said the storm is capable of it but verizon network dosn't allow high speed streaming at this time like the iphone! Is this true? Look side by side iphone and storm and watch the same youtube video so you can compare apples to apples and look how grainy the sound and audio quality is compared to the iphone.

is there a fix for this? Or is the iphone the ultimate multimedia beast.
That's right, the iPhone is the ultimate mm best with the king of the browsers no question. Even the iPhone haters admit that in almost every case. Browser=iPhone. If youtube and facebook are really important to you the iPhone is your gadget.
__________________
BB 8900 Tmobile, Moto Droid Verizon
Offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
SpectreBlofeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 9630
OS: 4.5.x.x
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 211
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, the browser isn't actually playing the videos, the media player is. The browser just hands off the video to the media player. It's probably a codec thing.
Offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can try opera mini. It's free and I have a techie friend of mine who swears by it.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

don't suppose they've updated opera mini yet to function with click touch?
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
nm6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byproxy View Post
don't suppose they've updated opera mini yet to function with click touch?
After downloading and playing with Opera Mini last night, I logged on this morning to ask the very same question.

Or do I need to set something on the browser for click touch?

Ray
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

save the file to your media card and see if your result is different. For now, it seems to be opera mini or bb browser.
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
EBlanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami
Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 133
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why don't you just download the youtube application for the storm?
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 59
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlanco View Post
Why don't you just download the youtube application for the storm?
i did this 3 weeks ago... it makes no difference. I don't recomend anybody to download the you tube application. Its just a marketing ploy from youtube.com
__________________
traded in my blackberry storm for a 8520!

Saving 600 dollars a year by switching from verizon to tmobile!
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Blooded
 
jsntrenkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson Arizona
Model: 9630
OS: 4.7.1.40
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 1,271
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1sony View Post
i did this 3 weeks ago... it makes no difference. I don't recomend anybody to download the you tube application. Its just a marketing ploy from youtube.com
I like the youtube app, while not in the same league as the iPhone, I do find it very usable.
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

installed youtube app weeks ago, it works great but the youtube video quality from that is very poor. its like watching vids online back in the 90s...
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Blooded
 
jsntrenkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson Arizona
Model: 9630
OS: 4.7.1.40
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 1,271
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabll88 View Post
installed youtube app weeks ago, it works great but the youtube video quality from that is very poor. its like watching vids online back in the 90s...
I must be getting old, I remember watching videos over a dial up connection back in the late 90's.
Offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
bobenhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cerritos, CA
Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 49
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The blackberry has the Opera browser intergrated into the Operating System. They been using the Opera browser for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrianq View Post
You can try opera mini. It's free and I have a techie friend of mine who swears by it.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.