BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4.7.0.83 Reboot Issue

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone been having any reboot issues with the .83 release on the Verizon (9530) Storm?
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
lees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norhtern IL
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.103
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

No problems rebooting here..Although, when I hit the BB button from the home screen>options >set wallpaper my storm freezes after changing the wallpaper and I can't escape from that screen until I reboot.
__________________
Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Arc.

Last edited by lees4 : 12-21-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Burton, MI
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.75
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

None here, so far no issues what so ever.
__________________
You know how we do it.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Central, PA.
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 169
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (9530)

All is well with me. I have roughly 48 hours on the new O/S.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It has been happening to me mostly after receiving a text or receiving a phone call (after hang up). I am thinking it may be a third party app. Which one's do you guys have installed (if any)?

Mine are:
- Google Maps
- Google Talk
- Gmail Mobile
- Facebook
- Flickr
- Visual Voice Mail (Verizon)
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Burton, MI
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.75
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
It has been happening to me mostly after receiving a text or receiving a phone call (after hang up). I am thinking it may be a third party app. Which one's do you guys have installed (if any)?

Mine are:
- Google Maps
- Google Talk
- Gmail Mobile
- Facebook
- Flickr
- Visual Voice Mail (Verizon)
I have:

Vlingo
Google Maps
Flickr
MSN Messenger
Facebook
Youtube
__________________
You know how we do it.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I have notived that, if I use the

"Power Off" button, when I attempt to turn on my BB, it does not boot. It requires a battery pull. It then boots normally, but slowly.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: V
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wiped my device before i installed the new OS

(also, I did not back anything up either.. i basically started from scratch and just synced my contacts..)
Maybe you guys should try to do that.


*I have experienced no problems and I'm very happy with this OS.

*I really like how when i press the Menu button from more then a split second it shows the Apps I have opened.

*Switching from Landscape to Portrait is also slightly improved

*a bit more memory

*Also the camera seems to be a little better and faster
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka1234 View Post
I wiped my device before i installed the new OS

(also, I did not back anything up either.. i basically started from scratch and just synced my contacts..)
Maybe you guys should try to do that.


*I have experienced no problems and I'm very happy with this OS.

*I really like how when i press the Menu button from more then a split second it shows the Apps I have opened.

*Switching from Landscape to Portrait is also slightly improved

*a bit more memory

*Also the camera seems to be a little better and faster
Did you just go to your security settings and select "Wipe Device"?
Did you delete the vendor.xml file before your install?
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 331
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Reboot Problems

I have only had one or two unintended reboots since installation, and they were both shortly after I installed the new OS. None today so far.

I did have one 3rd party app that needed to be re-installed and a couple where I had to change the compatibility mode setting.

The keyboard is much improved in all three modes.

I am still checking out various functions and issues but my initial impression is favorable. 73
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've yet to encounter a spontaneous reboot with .65, .75, .76 or .83.

So far .83 has been good to me with the exception of what appears to be slower response to pressing the lock button [either entering screen lock or exiting].

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Has anyone been having any reboot issues with the .83 release on the Verizon (9530) Storm?
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am having HUGE issues with .83

reboots, freezes and locks up and sucks :(

I can not even turn it off, I have to take the battery out
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 9530
Carrier: V
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Did you just go to your security settings and select "Wipe Device"?
Did you delete the vendor.xml file before your install?
No, I used the java loader thing to wipe my device.

and yea i deleted vender.xml

and then i instlaled using the app loader, not the Desktop software

Last edited by aka1234 : 12-21-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka1234 View Post
No, I used the java loader thing to wipe my device.

and yea i deleted vender.xml

and then i instlaled using the app loader, not the Desktop software
I just deleted the vendor xml and wiped the device, I installed the update over the previously installed one. I am now doing my enterprise activation, we'll see what happens.

I will update with my findings.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No reboots in 48 hours... But it compounds the memory leak problem. I'm down to 23mb from 47mb.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Blackberry Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just one so far, my first actually since owning the storm.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
I just deleted the vendor xml and wiped the device, I installed the update over the previously installed one. I am now doing my enterprise activation, we'll see what happens.

I will update with my findings.
UPDATE:

Did the new install last night and everything went fine. One reboot/freeze-up this morning. I am skeptical, Verizon may be sending me a new phone if it does not stop, we'll see what happens.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zduchene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.99
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 202
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
UPDATE:

Did the new install last night and everything went fine. One reboot/freeze-up this morning. I am skeptical, Verizon may be sending me a new phone if it does not stop, we'll see what happens.
Twice today within a hour or so...Should I ask for a new phone? Downgrade to .75? Try something else? What do you guys think?
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Reverting to the most up to date, publicly released OS should be step #1, if you're having problems with the phone and/or thinking about asking for a replacement.

I can't imagine that Verizon [or any carrier] would support what is essentially a beta OS...which is exactly what you'd be asking them to do if you asked for a replacement based on the phones performance with .83.

If the phone acts wonky with the most recent Verizon issued OS, then you've got a legitimate claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Twice today within a hour or so...Should I ask for a new phone? Downgrade to .75? Try something else? What do you guys think?
Offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
FgCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Carolina
Model: 8130
Carrier: alltel
Posts: 27
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a user on a curve that also has several reboots after phone call ends or message is received. what's in common ? G- applications. He has - Google Maps - Google Talk- Gmail Mobile. There were no problems before he install the suite. My guess is Gmail is the problem, since lots of people have maps and talk with no problems. No one else of my 50 users has gmail mobile installed and no one else has problems. of course it could be a combination.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.