BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SMS length. Device or carrier specific?

Please Login to Remove!

With pretty much every other phone in the world you can type a text message 4 million characters long and the phone will simply break it into multiple messages. I've had probably 20 different BB's on 4 different carriers and I can't remember if this worked on any of them. I don't think so though. Why would RIM do it like this?
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
GT5L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gainesville, VA
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 758
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I don't think that's accurate. On the 8320, 9000, , 8830and 9530 I have owned you can type untill your thumbs bleed and the BlackBerry™ will send it out 160 characters/SMS.
__________________
No More Palm
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

RIM isn't. Your carrier is.

SMS = Short Message Service = 160 characters.

I know ATT and TMO both will break a lengthy SMS into up to 7 SMS messages. I don't know why Verizon will not.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
zkyevolved's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.228
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 574
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
RIM isn't. Your carrier is.

SMS = Short Message Service = 160 characters.

I know ATT and TMO both will break a lengthy SMS into up to 7 SMS messages. I don't know why Verizon will not.
Doesn´t rim put a limit on the number of SMSs can be trunkated into 1 long message? Isnt it ... 9? THen of course it depends on your carrier if they want to accept it. hehe.
__________________
BB8100>8800>8300>8310>8100>HTC Touch Dual>iPhone8GB>8300 again>Smsung Omnia>iPhone 3g16GB>Storm>BOLD!
Current PIN:25707D3B
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

seven.

It's a carrier limit. RIM didn't set the standards.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think you're all missing something. When you're in the process of typing a message, the OS is what is in control, not the carrier. I can use a non-verizon OS, non-verizon sim card, and the device still doesn't let you type beyond the limit. I also had an ATT Curve that I'm SURE didn't break up long text messages into multiple messages.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rego Park, NY
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.1062
Carrier: Unlocked Tour 9630 on BES w/ AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've heard that Verizon Wireless supports Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) but only between it's own customers (i.e. Verizon to Verizon not Verizon to AT&T, etc). If you've ever sent/received a SMS message between 2 non-smartphones on Verizon, you'll notice that you can insert a small animation that will be received by the other party. I think EMS will automatically break up long SMS messages into multiple messages. The 160 character limitation on the Blackberry is definitely a device limitation, however if you try to send a message longer than 160 characters from Verizon to a non-Verizon customer, you will get a warning message back telling you that only the first 160 characters will be sent to other party.
__________________
Sam K
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5L View Post
Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I don't think that's accurate. On the 8320, 9000, , 8830and 9530 I have owned you can type untill your thumbs bleed and the BlackBerry™ will send it out 160 characters/SMS.
So you're saying you have a 9530 (Verizon Storm) right now that will let you type 1000 character sms messages and will break it up into multiple messages and send them out? I'm sure you are mistaken.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
I've heard that Verizon Wireless supports Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) but only between it's own customers (i.e. Verizon to Verizon not Verizon to AT&T, etc). If you've ever sent/received a SMS message between 2 non-smartphones on Verizon, you'll notice that you can insert a small animation that will be received by the other party. I think EMS will automatically break up long SMS messages into multiple messages. The 160 character limitation on the Blackberry is definitely a device limitation, however if you try to send a message longer than 160 characters from Verizon to a non-Verizon customer, you will get a warning message back telling you that only the first 160 characters will be sent to other party.
Thank you for understanding me. The typing limit is CLEARLY device-based. You can take the device while not on any network at all and if you type an sms message it will say "field full" when you reach the limit. So again I'm wondering why RIM chose this.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
seven.

It's a carrier limit. RIM didn't set the standards.
Completely incorrect.

Character limit on SMS on 9530
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rego Park, NY
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.1062
Carrier: Unlocked Tour 9630 on BES w/ AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
Thank you for understanding me. The typing limit is CLEARLY device-based. You can take the device while not on any network at all and if you type an sms message it will say "field full" when you reach the limit. So again I'm wondering why RIM chose this.
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been griping about this since I first switched from a non-smartphone on Verizon to the Pearl. I was used to being able to type long messages to my friends who were on Verizon and not having to worry about. It's really annoying that I have to stop after 160 characters, send that message and then compose another reply. I'm sure it's also annoying for the recipient who has to wait a few more seconds for the rest of the text message to arrive instead of receiving all the parts at once.
__________________
Sam K
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gsontag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SLC
Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its device specific. I had another verizon cell previous to my storm and i could type up to 7 "pages" in one message but on the storm it stops you at 160.
__________________
G.Sontag
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
Thank you for understanding me. The typing limit is CLEARLY device-based. You can take the device while not on any network at all and if you type an sms message it will say "field full" when you reach the limit. So again I'm wondering why RIM chose this.
From what I understand, it is a CARRIER limit imposed on the BlackBerrys. It seems to be a component of the OS - which Verizon has a hand in modifying to their speculations, as we all know from the GPS lock-down threads that used to go on and on around here.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Stuck In The '70's Mod
 
ndub33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The 'burbs east of Seattle.
Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 7,599
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

To rachamphetimine's point, I believe that the carrier sets the limitation, and submits that limit as part of the specs for the OS. A change in this bewteen OS' from the same carrier may reflect a change in the carrier's desire for a size limit.
__________________
1st Step in Troubleshooting: Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?
2nd Step in Troubleshooting: Pull the Battery.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
From what I understand, it is a CARRIER limit imposed on the BlackBerrys. It seems to be a component of the OS - which Verizon has a hand in modifying to their speculations, as we all know from the GPS lock-down threads that used to go on and on around here.
Except that when NOT using a verizon OS you STILL get the "field full" message when you TYPE (not send) over the limit. It is a RIM design choice.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsontag View Post
Its device specific. I had another verizon cell previous to my storm and i could type up to 7 "pages" in one message but on the storm it stops you at 160.
exactly. its always amazing to me how people will argue based on what they THINK. i just SPOKE to verizon and they confirmed that as long as a DEVICE will break a long message into many smaller messages, they have no problem SENDING them out. but the act of TYPING the message is controlled by the device and has nothing to do with the carrier at that point.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
Except that when NOT using a verizon OS you STILL get the "field full" message when you TYPE (not send) over the limit. It is a RIM design choice.
Well, point taken. I still do not think it was the choice of RIM but the choice of Verizon.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jjd228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Well, point taken. I still do not think it was the choice of RIM but the choice of Verizon.
Nothing to do with verizon at all. I just confirmed that. It's RIM's choice at the OS level. Verizon could modify this when they release their verison of the OS, but thus far they have not.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
C17Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 104
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been griping about this since I first switched from a non-smartphone on Verizon to the Pearl. I was used to being able to type long messages to my friends who were on Verizon and not having to worry about. It's really annoying that I have to stop after 160 characters, send that message and then compose another reply. I'm sure it's also annoying for the recipient who has to wait a few more seconds for the rest of the text message to arrive instead of receiving all the parts at once.
My Pearl with ATT lets me type as many characters as I want and then breaks it down into 160 character SMS messages. Sounds like it is carrier specific.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anybody know if the Sprint/Alltel/US Cellular firmware will let you type messages longer than 160 characters? Perhaps it's something in the firmware as we can see that it happens on different devices.

On my Verizon 8130, I can receive messages over 160 characters, but can't send one over that.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.