BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.122
Carrier: verizon BIS
Posts: 127
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Having problems picking up calls

Please Login to Remove!

I've had the Storm since 2nd day of release in the US. I've never had a problem receiving calls, but just this week, I've noticed that when I try to pick up calls by pulling my phone out of my holster and hitting either the touchscreen "talk" or the green talk button, the phone looks like it temporarily freezes up. When it finally unfreezes, the call has gone to voicemail. There are no issues with picking up calls with my bluetooth headset. Anyone else have this problem and if so, any fix? I've done battery pulls to see if it is a memory leak problem, and I still have 26.7 Megabytes of application memory and 874.8 Megabytes of device memory, as well as 2 gigabytes of media card memory.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Having problems picking up calls

Funny you mention it. I'm also having the same issue. Even if my phone is not in the holster, when I try to pick up a phone call the phone freezes. It sucks.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.122
Carrier: verizon BIS
Posts: 127
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just installed 4.7.082 and hopefully fix this issue... Many lag issue seem to be gone so far and my free apps memory went up a few megs with the install.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
XelhaBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.419
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 844
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is a problem inherent in the Storm on all current versions of the OS. It is caused by the phone inadvertently transitioning between landscaping and portrait phase. When you thumb any button the phone is still "thinking".

I have cured this problem by simply holding the phone vertical for a second or two. Allow the phone to orient itself to potrait mode while ringing an additional time or two. Then press talk. This works for me every time.

Hopefully, a finalized version of OS .85 will have this fixed.
__________________

Verizon 9530
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
xxDruMMer BoYxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Beach
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.230
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 553
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
This is a problem inherent in the Storm on all current versions of the OS. It is caused by the phone inadvertently transitioning between landscaping and portrait phase. When you thumb any button the phone is still "thinking".

I have cured this problem by simply holding the phone vertical for a second or two. Allow the phone to orient itself to potrait mode while ringing an additional time or two. Then press talk. This works for me every time.

Hopefully, a finalized version of OS .85 will have this fixed.

Yup..same here...I have done the very same thing that you mentioned...I have installed .85 and the problem is still there...like you said...hopefully a finalized version of .85 or whatever is next will fix...
__________________
Don't let anger take over you...but take over your anger, so JOY may take over you, and EVERYONE around you...- xxDruMMer BoYxx

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.85
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDruMMer BoYxx View Post
Yup..same here...I have done the very same thing that you mentioned...I have installed .85 and the problem is still there...like you said...hopefully a finalized version of .85 or whatever is next will fix...
from what i hear, beta versions pretty much becomes official version without any changes. so if there's an official .85 out from verizon or telus, it would be the same as the beta version. just the "official" is different. hopefully, a newer version will be released soon with fixes.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
XelhaBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.419
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 844
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoonis View Post
from what i hear, beta versions pretty much becomes official version without any changes. so if there's an official .85 out from verizon or telus, it would be the same as the beta version. just the "official" is different. hopefully, a newer version will be released soon with fixes.
Dunno if that assessment is totally accurate. I used to Beta test various softwares and I can tell you that the officially released version is NEVER the same as the Beta.

It is most important to remember ABOVE ALL. Beta versions are NOT designed for your Verizon phone. You are playing with fire anytime you download a Beta version into your VZW unit. I would even venture to say that each carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) has engineered in uniquely different tweaks into their OS versions that enable the phone to run optimally on their respective network. I would lay money that if you loaded OS software for a Sprint phone into the same model running on the Verizon network, you would probably experience problems.
__________________

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB : 12-28-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
xxDruMMer BoYxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Beach
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.230
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 553
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Dunno if that assessment is totally accurate. I used to Beta test various softwares and I can tell you that the officially released version is NEVER the same as the Beta.

It is most important to remember ABOVE ALL. Beta versions are NOT designed for your Verizon phone. You are playing with fire anytime you download a Beta version into your VZW unit. I would even venture to say that each carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) has engineered in uniquely different tweaks into their OS versions that enable the phone to run optimally on their respective network. I would lay money that if you loaded OS software for a Sprint phone into the same model running on the Verizon network, you would probably experience problems.
Well, that's what its all about right. Somebody needs to test out the betas. Why not the people who will be using them every day. If they want to download betas onto their phones, let em, its at their own risk right? It is mine. Problems, with OS? Of course, do you not have problems with your .75 official release?, if you don't, then let me know cuz apparantely you have the only perfect Storm, or phone, in the world.

Just saying, what's the big warning about, that your giving to people that's sounds soooooooo caring. They wanna upgrade to a beta, so be it. We're all here to help each other out right. To figure out bugs, find out what's working, what's not, and what can work better.
__________________
Don't let anger take over you...but take over your anger, so JOY may take over you, and EVERYONE around you...- xxDruMMer BoYxx

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 159
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

I have the same problem. I had to do a battery pull.I just updated to .85 hopefully that will fix that.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
XelhaBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.419
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 844
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDruMMer BoYxx View Post
Well, that's what its all about right. Somebody needs to test out the betas. Why not the people who will be using them every day. If they want to download betas onto their phones, let em, its at their own risk right? It is mine. Problems, with OS? Of course, do you not have problems with your .75 official release?, if you don't, then let me know cuz apparantely you have the only perfect Storm, or phone, in the world.

Just saying, what's the big warning about, that your giving to people that's sounds soooooooo caring. They wanna upgrade to a beta, so be it. We're all here to help each other out right. To figure out bugs, find out what's working, what's not, and what can work better.
Drummer, you make a good point however your logic applies to a very small minority of Blackberry users.

I Beta tested software because I had the training and experience that allowed me to go in and alter codes in order to enhance the functionality of the software. I imagine the same is done by Beta testers in the cellular phone realm. You are right, "somebody" does need to test the betas. However the testing should be done by individuals who possess the ability to revert their phone back to its proper running state if the particular beta version renders the phone inoperable. Surely you agree in this aspect.

I surmise a majority of the users here, myself included, do not possess the ability to write code for cellular OS's. We all have just enough info to load the Beta software and let the chips fall where they may. SURE, its your property and you are free to tinker with it all you want. I am just offering that wisdom from the sideline. If you lack the ability to revert your phone back to its original state should its go belly up with a Beta OS, then it would be substantially prudent not to load bootleg software to your expensive handset in the first place.

I am not saying this to be antagonistic, I am merely positing a reasonable line of thinking.
__________________

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB : 12-28-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
xxDruMMer BoYxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Beach
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.230
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 553
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Drummer, you make a good point however your logic applies to a very small minority of Blackberry users.

I Beta tested software because I had the training and experience that allowed me to go in and alter codes in order to enhance the functionality of the software. I imagine the same is done by Beta testers in the cellular phone realm. You are right, "somebody" does need to test the betas. However the testing should be done by individuals who possess the ability to revert their phone back to its proper running state if the particular beta version renders the phone inoperable. Surely you agree in this aspect.

I surmise a majority of the users here, myself included, do not possess the ability to write code for cellular OS's. We all have just enough info to load the Beta software and let the chips fall where they may. SURE, its your property and you are free to tinker with it all you want. I am just offering that wisdom from the sideline. If you lack the ability to revert your phone back to its original state should its go belly up with a Beta OS, then it would be substantially prudent not to load bootleg software to your expensive handset in the first place.

I am not saying this to be antagonistic, I am merely positing a reasonable line of thinking.
All understood Xhelba, I see your point, and no point in arguing.
__________________
Don't let anger take over you...but take over your anger, so JOY may take over you, and EVERYONE around you...- xxDruMMer BoYxx

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.