BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this?
Offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysurfer View Post
I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this?
then buy one off ebay or craigslist thats going to be the only way there is no way to change esn its been tried on numerous occasions

and for what its worth I would love to be able to use my BB with out a data plan. But I am stuck using a dumb phone

Last edited by Dawg : 01-07-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
then buy one off ebay or craigslist thats going to be the only way there is no way to change esn its been tried on numerous occasions

and for what its worth I would love to be able to use my BB with out a data plan. But I am stuck using a dumb phone
"I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this? "

Why not just hack it? the esn number can be seen on the box containing the device or underneath the battery generally.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want a BB with the Data plan... I'm going with the Ferrari example
Offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't feel like paying $600 or $700 on eBay when I can get it for $200 from Verizon. I just need to figure out how to not get tied up with their data plan.
Offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)
Posts: 148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysurfer View Post
I don't feel like paying $600 or $700 on eBay when I can get it for $200 from Verizon. I just need to figure out how to not get tied up with their data plan.
The only way I can see it is if you *DO NOT* buy the phone from Verizon.

Otherwise, if you buy it from Verizon, you're stuck with the data plan.

You can't have it both ways - business people a lot smarter than us (or at least with market data a lot smarter than us) came up with these plans.

If they didn't require the data plan, the phone would sell for $299-$399 w/ a two-year contract.

It's that simple. Verizon wants to spread their revenues out rather than take all of the money up-front.

More complex -- it helps them "match" the capitalization expenses on their network equipment. Otherwise they look stupid (in the investment community) making all this money now yet having revenues tail off over time (see: AT&T w/ the iPhone sold for $599, then $399, now $199 - conversely their iPhone monthly plans have gone UP in price over the same period).
Offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
The only way I can see it is if you *DO NOT* buy the phone from Verizon.

Otherwise, if you buy it from Verizon, you're stuck with the data plan.

You can't have it both ways - business people a lot smarter than us (or at least with market data a lot smarter than us) came up with these plans.

If they didn't require the data plan, the phone would sell for $299-$399 w/ a two-year contract.

It's that simple. Verizon wants to spread their revenues out rather than take all of the money up-front.

More complex -- it helps them "match" the capitalization expenses on their network equipment. Otherwise they look stupid (in the investment community) making all this money now yet having revenues tail off over time (see: AT&T w/ the iPhone sold for $599, then $399, now $199 - conversely their iPhone monthly plans have gone UP in price over the same period).
Thanks for the clarification. Your point makes sense - I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to get my hands on a Storm
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: L.A
Model: 9530
OS: .148
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

First off, why would you want a blackberry without the data plan? Is it a " status " thing for people. Some people just want a BB just to have one. The data plan is fairly reasonably priced. With the internet, there is a lot to do. I don't think you can use the BB messenger without the data plan.
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysurfer View Post
I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this?
If you mean changing the ESN on the phone, you cannot legally do this. Also, the ESN is tied to the PIN, so you would lose the functionality of the BB by changing it.
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmevo8 View Post
First off, why would you want a blackberry without the data plan? Is it a " status " thing for people. Some people just want a BB just to have one. The data plan is fairly reasonably priced. With the internet, there is a lot to do. I don't think you can use the BB messenger without the data plan.
Because my life is on this thing but with the ecomomy the way it is i cant afford the extra 30 bucks a month for email. But I love the phone the PIM. I have carried one for more years than not now. So you kind of get used to a device its hard to go back.

why do you need a car when you have legs is it a status thing?
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)
Posts: 148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't understand.

If I did NOT have the data plan (which I don't on my second line), there's no way I'd walk around with a Storm (or any other BlackBerry). I use a RAZR MAXX ve, which has better sound quality, better dialing, and maintains enough of the "PIM" capabilities that I don't miss using the BlackBerry for voice-only.

Hell, look at why the "flip BlackBerry" has basically been a failure - people don't want phone-esque BlackBerry devices.
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I don't understand.

If I did NOT have the data plan (which I don't on my second line), there's no way I'd walk around with a Storm (or any other BlackBerry). I use a RAZR MAXX ve, which has better sound quality, better dialing, and maintains enough of the "PIM" capabilities that I don't miss using the BlackBerry for voice-only.

Hell, look at why the "flip BlackBerry" has basically been a failure - people don't want phone-esque BlackBerry devices.
your wrong you would be surprised at the number of people who use the BB with out a data plan. I would love to use it, I used to be like the rest and wonder that myself. But I have no reason to have email at my fingertips any more. But I do miss my keyboard for texting. I hate having to multitap
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montana
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.85
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 127
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

VZW used to allow you to cancel your data plan, but it sounds like they don't any longer...

How about just terminate your contract? why pay for any monthly fees if you're going to unlock it for use on T-Mobile? That'd still be under $600 (unless early termination isn't an option).

The reason you're buying a $500+ device for $200 is that they expect to make it up in the monthly fees... It's like Best Buy selling a laptop for $200, but requiring you to pay them for a DSL connection - oh wait, they did that w/ the MSN $400 rebate...

I understand where you're coming from though.

For me, my area is pretty much stuck w/ VZW (which isn't a bad thing imho)... Alltel was the other key competitor and now they're merging...
Offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertioch View Post
VZW used to allow you to cancel your data plan, but it sounds like they don't any longer...

How about just terminate your contract? why pay for any monthly fees if you're going to unlock it for use on T-Mobile? That'd still be under $600 (unless early termination isn't an option).

The reason you're buying a $500+ device for $200 is that they expect to make it up in the monthly fees... It's like Best Buy selling a laptop for $200, but requiring you to pay them for a DSL connection - oh wait, they did that w/ the MSN $400 rebate...

I understand where you're coming from though.

For me, my area is pretty much stuck w/ VZW (which isn't a bad thing imho)... Alltel was the other key competitor and now they're merging...
Well, I could jump ship to Verizon since I'm no longer in a contract with T-Mo. The thing is that I've already got a great deal with T-Mo since I locked into a low monthly rate with them over 4 years ago and I don't want to give that up. If I switched to Verizon, I'd be paying $50/month more than what I'm paying now (and that's for voice AND data/e-mail).

I just think that VZW shouldn't force people to get stuck on a data plan if they're buying a BB. If the service is good and you like the phone, chances are that you're going to be a customer of theirs for a while anyway. They're still going to make their profit in the end.
Offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
viet2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Model: 9530
OS: v4.7.0.90
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 98
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I sell phones and you would be surprised at how many people come in and want a "Blackberry" but does not want it to be big, without a data plan, and has a camera. In all of honesty, these people are posers and just want to say they have a "Blackberry" because people with higher standards of living have them. All they want to do is make phone calls and text their friends. This completely defeats the purpose of a Blackberry.
__________________
Blackberry 9530 Storm v4.7.0.90 (Platform 4.0.0.128)
Offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
I sell phones and you would be surprised at how many people come in and want a "Blackberry" but does not want it to be big, without a data plan, and has a camera. In all of honesty, these people are posers and just want to say they have a "Blackberry" because people with higher standards of living have them. All they want to do is make phone calls and text their friends. This completely defeats the purpose of a Blackberry.
Has nothing to do with being a poser, the phones that have keyboards on them suck. The Blackberry keyboard to me is far superior to any of the dumb phones on the market.

Now I know why people used to get mad at me for using these same stupid arguments you all are using.

Boy do I need to apologize to some people. Don't questions others motives just because you don't understand.
Offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS
Posts: 153
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
I sell phones and you would be surprised at how many people come in and want a "Blackberry" but does not want it to be big, without a data plan, and has a camera. In all of honesty, these people are posers and just want to say they have a "Blackberry" because people with higher standards of living have them. All they want to do is make phone calls and text their friends. This completely defeats the purpose of a Blackberry.
I sell too, and I believe there really are some people who want it without data that would put it to good use, but I agree with you mostly it's someone who just wants it to say they have it, particularly the Storm. Most of the time it's younger kids.
Offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Has nothing to do with being a poser, the phones that have keyboards on them suck. The Blackberry keyboard to me is far superior to any of the dumb phones on the market.

Now I know why people used to get mad at me for using these same stupid arguments you all are using.

Boy do I need to apologize to some people. Don't questions others motives just because you don't understand.
Right on Dawg. I wouldn't pay much attention to this poster - I'm sure he views himself as a person with a "higher" standard of living than everyone else...that's why he sells cell phones for a living.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Vintage OEM Apple Design Powered Speakers M2497 Rainbow Logo Used Works
$38.0
 Vintage OEM Apple Design Powered Speakers M2497 Rainbow Logo Used Works pictureOriginal OEM APPLE Airport Extreme Base Station Power Supply AC Adapter A1202
$6.99
Original OEM APPLE Airport Extreme Base Station Power Supply AC Adapter A1202 pictureOEM Apple Mac G5 A1047 System Genuine Back Rear Cooler Fan
$25.49
OEM Apple Mac G5 A1047 System Genuine Back Rear Cooler Fan pictureOEM Starter Motor, 1X4U-1131-AA, Ford Escape, P6656S *Free Shipping*
$29.99
OEM Starter Motor, 1X4U-1131-AA, Ford Escape, P6656S *Free Shipping* pictureGenuine OEM Apple Aluminum Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard A1255 - USED
$33.95
Genuine OEM Apple Aluminum Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard  A1255 - USED  picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.