.148 seems to be working quite well. After the initial update I discovered that the BROWSER wasn't working. I thought someone else had posted that problem as well, but I couldn't find it.
I did call Verizon Tech Support and got a very helpful person. He explained that it was there but I had one more step to do and that was to go to OPTIONS -->Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table and see that "Verizon " was bold. Menu key --> Register Now --> OK and voila! My browser returned.
He also suggested a reset (Power off, remove battery and restart) every now and again.
I've been with Verizon since the shoulder-bag battery phone days (Bell Atlantic it was then) and I must say that I've had very good experiences with tech support...now billing matters, well that's another whole volume!!
I hope this helps someone!