BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.148
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 9500 Predictive Text???

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

Just wondering how do i turn the predictive text on the storm on?

Thanks for your help
Offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.148
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

does anyone know at all? predictiv text for sms ect.....
Offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: 3056d36d
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In portrate mode instead of landscape you should go into suretype mode. If not open the menu while composing an SMS and go to Enable Suretype. Is that what you're refering to?
Offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

No, it isn't. SureType does not equal Predictive Input.

To enable Predictive Input on the Storm, hold the device in Portrait view > Options > Language > scroll to the bottom to > Input Options and select Predictive Input.
Online  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.148
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi thanks for your help.....im just wondering how do you get predictive text on the multitap keyboard (the keyboard you get on normal phones) as i can only get predictive on the normal qwerty keyboard???
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rileyrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.141
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_35 View Post
Hi thanks for your help.....im just wondering how do you get predictive text on the multitap keyboard (the keyboard you get on normal phones) as i can only get predictive on the normal qwerty keyboard???
You can't. It was the first thing that boggled me when I got my storm - the special portrait mode 2 letters per key keyboard for suretype. Unless I've missed something. I asked about it here and got lots of people not quite understanding why I would want the same keyboard for suretype as I would for multitap (you know, like all the other mobile phones out there) :-; it's a design mess IMO and indicative of the quality of this phone release - it's as if no one used one before they shifted it onto the public.

e.g I can enable suretype. This is a synonym for t9 on other phones. Uh oh! Whats this? A full qwerty keyboard. I dont want buttons the size of a mouse's lad, I want my bit buttons back - so I enable multitap. Damn t9 now not working. OK, back to suretype and big keyboard. Now, hello!, whats that option? Enable reduced keybaord! Great! Oh no! It's ANOTHER keyboard layout this time with two letters per key. Why? The multitap keyboard should be enabled for t9/suretype too. It's why t9 was invented .... why oh why invent another keyboard?!?!? OK, have this new keyboard layout but still give us t9/suretype with the standard mutitap touch screen "normal phone" copy keyboard that many of us are already used to and have been using efficiently for years.

You might gather that this subject has got me rather prickly :-;

I do love the phone but its so much less than it could have been had they done some half decent user testing IMO.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

This whole discussion would be enhanced and more easily understood if you would quit using the term T9 in regard to SureType or the BlackBerry. There is no such thing as T9 on a BlackBerry.

So, yes, get the lingo right, and your conversation might make more sense.

You might gather that this subject has got me rather prickly, too.

I suspect the Predicitve Input missing from the MultiTap keyboard is a glitch with OS .148, and will be reinstated on another release. It was present in the past. So, we'll see.

But no amount of whining will bring it back for .148
Online  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rileyrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.141
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
This whole discussion would be enhanced and more easily understood if you would quit using the term T9 in regard to SureType or the BlackBerry. There is no such thing as T9 on a BlackBerry.

So, yes, get the lingo right, and your conversation might make more sense.

You might gather that this subject has got me rather prickly, too.

I suspect the Predicitve Input missing from the MultiTap keyboard is a glitch with OS .148, and will be reinstated on another release. It was present in the past. So, we'll see.

But no amount of whining will bring it back for .148
Since it was in the context of existing phones and their keyboards using t9 makes perfect sense. I also used suretype to lead in. So rather than get your pants in a knot about your idea I am "whining" try and open your mind and address the issues if you have anything relevant to say. net nannying on vocabulary is not relevant.

Predictive input was not in 78 either with the multitap keyboard layout. You seem to be suggesting it was in others or you are confused as to the issue. I'm not clear which.

And criticism of an obvious weakness is not whining. Its making ones feelings felt with justifications as to WHY they are weaknesses.

I will clarify : suretype on existing multitap keyboard LAYOUT would be the same as t9 in other phones. A well known and understood concept which many people are used to.

Addendum : and as my profile states left, I use 141 and its not their either.

Last edited by rileyrg : 06-22-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

This is a BlackBerry Forum, not a nokia or Samsung forum. It's not "net nannying" to understand the correct terminology. And it's not a "weakness" when it should be there and has been there, and likely will be reinstated. You're really just whining when you know it won't work. Have you suggested to RIM the need?

Nevertheless, I answered your question. Have you tried .148? or .151 for the 9500?
If you know that .148 doesn't have it, maybe .151 does, I don't know, I haven't upgraded my wife's 9500.
Online  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.148
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your input it soundslike it is a software os issue....i so much more prefer the multitap keyboard with predictive text enabled and did have it enabled on the older os software until i upgraded. The question now is for me certainly and maybe for others of you does the upgraded os software out weight the benefits of predictive texting on the multitap keyboard? the sure type qwerty keyboard what ever its called is a pain for me.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rileyrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.141
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
This is a BlackBerry Forum, not a nokia or Samsung forum. It's not "net nannying" to understand the correct terminology. And it's not a "weakness" when it should be there and has been there, and likely will be reinstated. You're really just whining when you know it won't work. Have you suggested to RIM the need?

Nevertheless, I answered your question. Have you tried .148? or .151 for the 9500?
If you know that .148 doesn't have it, maybe .151 does, I don't know, I haven't upgraded my wife's 9500.
Yes, I know what forum it is funny enough. But ONCE AGAIN : in the CONTEXT of designs used on nearly all phones, the suretype IS a t9 variant in its "reduced keyboard" layout. What is so hard for you to understand? BUT rather than use the normal 3x4 layout which is used in multitap they used a non standard 2 letters per key layout. THIS is the issue.

And yes I have suggested it to RIM. As well as some other relatively easy little improvements. Funny enough I received a nice thank you - not an accusation of "whining".

It is NOT whining to understand the issue and explain it to others who too are confused. I was there too. As for "trying other OSen", yes, I could figure that out myself - lets "try them all". People are here to ask people who KNOW, not people who wildly guess or push them to google or say "try another OS" with zero idea of whether it will address the issue. It's like the same people saying "pull the battery" as if its some kind of panacea to all known Storm ailments.

FWIW, I cant try 148 since its not available here as a wireless update yet and I don't use Windows so cant use desktop manager and you, or someone else, have already stated that its an omission in 148 but WAS in previous OSen. Which it wasn't but that's another issue.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rileyrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Model: 9500
OS: 4.7.0.141
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Posts: 187
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_35 View Post
Thanks for your input it soundslike it is a software os issue....i so much more prefer the multitap keyboard with predictive text enabled and did have it enabled on the older os software until i upgraded. The question now is for me certainly and maybe for others of you does the upgraded os software out weight the benefits of predictive texting on the multitap keyboard? the sure type qwerty keyboard what ever its called is a pain for me.
It's a pain for me too. Another layout to learn.

They need to enable suretype on the multitap layout as is done on nearly all other phone models IMO.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
Yes, I know what forum it is funny enough. But ONCE AGAIN : in the CONTEXT of designs used on nearly all phones, the suretype IS a t9 variant in its "reduced keyboard" layout. What is so hard for you to understand? BUT rather than use the normal 3x4 layout which is used in multitap they used a non standard 2 letters per key layout. THIS is the issue.

And yes I have suggested it to RIM. As well as some other relatively easy little improvements. Funny enough I received a nice thank you - not an accusation of "whining".

It is NOT whining to understand the issue and explain it to others who too are confused. I was there too. As for "trying other OSen", yes, I could figure that out myself - lets "try them all". People are here to ask people who KNOW, not people who wildly guess or push them to google or say "try another OS" with zero idea of whether it will address the issue. It's like the same people saying "pull the battery" as if its some kind of panacea to all known Storm ailments.

FWIW, I cant try 148 since its not available here as a wireless update yet and I don't use Windows so cant use desktop manager and you, or someone else, have already stated that its an omission in 148 but WAS in previous OSen. Which it wasn't but that's another issue.
Wow, you don't give up do you? lol, it's not T9, as bad as you want it to be, and call it that, it simply is not. No more than a Ape is a Human, although many will say it is a "variant". Still, it's not. Just using the correct terminology would make your cause so much easier to follow. But if you are so close-minded that you won't... have it your way.

WTH is a "OSen"? And, for your information, a battery pull reboot is a recommended fix to many glitches and errors on ALL BlackBerry devices, not just the Storm.

Last edited by JSanders : 06-22-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Online  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Um, so...all I want to do is hold my phone vertically, type in the numbers corresponding to the letters I'm thinking about, and let the processor decide what word I am trying to use.

If this **FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR PHONE** can't do that, and is not planning on an upgrade to bring it back, it's a waste of time and money for me. I might as well get a different BB.

This arguing helps no one, is my point. And I still can't type the way I want. A mess.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.