BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Yet another Storm vs Curve thread...

Please Login to Remove!

I just picked up an unlocked Storm and have been using it for the last couple of days.
I have not yet put my Curve 8310 up for sale, but thus far I plan to.

Why?

The screen size makes a HUGE difference in viewing emails, web pages, notes, as well as entertainment value. Watching movies on it is much easier on the eyes, especially widescreen.
Faster response is very nice. With my Curve there were a lot of delays, probably due to my own ignorance in tuning, but the Storm seems to have a lot of free resources and quick transitions.
Shoe-horning it onto the ATT network was a pain, but so far the effort is very worth it.
Offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
lostman72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.148
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 282
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybear23 View Post
I just picked up an unlocked Storm and have been using it for the last couple of days.
I have not yet put my Curve 8310 up for sale, but thus far I plan to.

Why?

The screen size makes a HUGE difference in viewing emails, web pages, notes, as well as entertainment value. Watching movies on it is much easier on the eyes, especially widescreen.
Faster response is very nice. With my Curve there were a lot of delays, probably due to my own ignorance in tuning, but the Storm seems to have a lot of free resources and quick transitions.
Shoe-horning it onto the ATT network was a pain, but so far the effort is very worth it.
Why was the ATT network pain? I was just wondering what you meant by that?
__________________
Sunny California
storm Software 4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.181)
Tour Software 4.7.1.53 (Platform 4.1.0.65)
Offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Why was the ATT network pain? I was just wondering what you meant by that?
The storm is made for Verizon, so youhave to get it unlocked and jump through hoops to make it work on ATT's network.

Plus, you don't get 3G because ATT 3G runs on a different frequency than VZ 3G.
Offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Another plus is that the Storm seems to write across the USB cable a little faster than my Curve did... it's still slow, but the Storm seems to go faster. Not sure why though.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

One negative is that the battery seems to drain very fast, but that could be because I won't put the thing down...

It is a used phone, too, so it may very well be that I need a new one.

Free memory has hung around 42-43 since day one, though. That is nice...
Offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I did notice that the swipe functionality works better when using one of the thick screen protectors. I took mine off though, because it was a mirror protector, and it made the colors shift to the green side of the spectrum. I will probably look for a good clear one.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 9530
PIN: 3056d36d
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybear23 View Post
One negative is that the battery seems to drain very fast, but that could be because I won't put the thing down...
I find after turning the backlight brightness all the way down to 10% it helps quite a bit and after a minute or so you don't even really notice the difference. Although I also tend to keep my phone on vibrate and use it a lot but not as much while I'm working and it generally makes it through a full day for me.
Offline  
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Teg View Post
I find after turning the backlight brightness all the way down to 10% it helps quite a bit and after a minute or so you don't even really notice the difference. Although I also tend to keep my phone on vibrate and use it a lot but not as much while I'm working and it generally makes it through a full day for me.
Well, the last couple of days have been better. The "new-ness" is wearing off a bit, so I am not messing with it as much. The battery is lasting all day without trouble now.

I have the backlight set to 60% and it works fine for me.
Offline  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

On Day 7.

I still love it.

Free memory is above 40 MB.

Biggest complaint is the fact that the volume control button will shuffle through songs sometimes... and other times it will actually control the volume. *odd*
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.