I thought I'd share my experiences with "free" apps for the Storm. I've had my device since June, and have loaded and unloaded several, through multiple O/S upgrades, to find which ones are worthwhile and which ones are worthless. Of course, this is my opinion only, and I'm sure many of you have had better and/or worse experiences with these apps.
So, here goes:
1) Poynt (currently on v22.214.171.124)- Awesome, I'm on my second version and am very happy with it. If you do any traveling or need a quick phone number or movie time, get this application - You won't be sorry (You can even watch trailers right from the app!).
2) Google Maps - I usually keep GPS service turned off to save battery power, but this is a great app as a substitute for the BlackBerry mapping and if you don't use VZNavigator on Verizon (I don't pay for that).
3) You Tube - It's fun and gives you good search capabilities for videos. I think it may still be a bit buggy, since it occasionally won't shut down properly. Overall it's a good app.
4) Pandora - I probably don't need to say any more about this. It's great (after I found this I uninstalled iHeart Radio - Nothing against that product, I just didn't use it anymore).
5) Facebook - I'm not a heavy social networker, but this product does a pretty good job. If I were inclined to write more, I'd go into some of the [minor] shortcomings of the product, but generally it's good.
6) Level (by Xtreme Labs) - Pretty good product. It's funny because a level is not something that you run around with, but if you see a crooked picture, here is an instant tool to fix it! One downside (not the software's fault, but a Storm design flaw) is the buttons on the side. The device cannot physically sit flat on a side edge, due to the side buttons. So, you have to balance it on the silver part on the edge, to avoid the buttons. Again, not the application's fault here...)
1) QuickPull Lite - I know many people out there like this product, but It just caused problems for me. Sorry - I'd rather just do a manual pull than use software to do it.
2) WeatherBug - It's not that this product is BAD, per se, but it just eats so much battery that It drives me crazy. Knowing the weather outside is pretty handy (as if it ever changes in Phoenix!
- Other than hot or hotter), but I guess having a web link to the weather service is just as good...
3) Opera for BlackBerry - Maybe it was the version I was using, but although Opera worked, I couldn't get it to recognize the touch screen, so I took it off. Any other experiences?
The SO-SO (or the UGLY, if you prefer):
1) BlackBerry App World - This is a good product for finding apps, but it's really slow
. I use it to browse for new apps, but never spend much time on it.
2) Pattern Lock Lite - An OK product that seemed to function fine, but it always got in the way of my ability to answer the phone. I still have it on my Storm, but it's inactive. If I get into a crowd situation, I will usually turn it on, in case I lose my phone, but generally speaking I keep it off.
Anyway, I'm not sure if this thread was helpful or not, but feedback would be appreciated.