BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/)
-   -   BB App World Uninstalls Itself? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/210267-bb-app-world-uninstalls-itself.html)

crboone 11-11-2009 09:33 PM

BB App World Uninstalls Itself?
 
Has anyone had a problem with the BB App World (and other apps) being mysterious uninstalled? I've already installed it twice today (going through the download/installation process). I just looked again this evening and the icon is gone again (it's not just hidden). When I click on the App Center it says it's not installed there, too. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a strange virus. Thanks for any assistance.

crboone 11-11-2009 11:33 PM

Well, it just happened again when I did a reboot to install something else. The App World is totally removed from my machine, like it's stuck in uninstall mode even after a successful installation.

kurichan 11-11-2009 11:52 PM

Happens to me sometimes. Not sure why. Seems to have stopped recently. Once again, not sure why.

woodworthjohnca 11-12-2009 12:39 AM

Happened to me, too. But, it's stayed on now for the past two days.

Very mysterious.

jbairdjr 11-12-2009 01:31 AM

Glad I read this because I thought I was crazy again.
Had to re-install it today.

sswyden 11-17-2009 10:42 PM

Happens to me when I uninstall certain program icons for Apps thatI already uninstalled. For example, I downloaded several programs from App World then later decided to remove them. So far, Ive narrowed it down to Pixelated, Buzzed, and Bubble Amy Demo. (All of the icons say Archived). I've removed the apps, but when I try to delete the icons, it prompts that icons will be removed on next reboot. After the reboot, App World is uninstalled and the program icons I was trying to delete are still showing up. Weird. Hopefully they'll fix this soon. Annoying to have to keep reinstalling App World.

woodworthjohnca 11-18-2009 12:20 AM

Me too, at first. For the past week it has stayed installed.

rdrum 11-20-2009 02:27 PM

Disappearing App World Icon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sswyden (Post 1509580)
Happens to me when I uninstall certain program icons for Apps thatI already uninstalled. For example, I downloaded several programs from App World then later decided to remove them. So far, Ive narrowed it down to Pixelated, Buzzed, and Bubble Amy Demo. (All of the icons say Archived). I've removed the apps, but when I try to delete the icons, it prompts that icons will be removed on next reboot. After the reboot, App World is uninstalled and the program icons I was trying to delete are still showing up. Weird. Hopefully they'll fix this soon. Annoying to have to keep reinstalling App World.

This happened to me a couple of times before as well. The trick is to delete apps (or archives) from within App World ( App World > My World > ...). If you just go to the BlackBerry menu and try to delete something it will also remove the icon for the App World (I say icon, because I have read other posts that indicate that App World itself is not uninstalled, that the bug simply removes the icon). A reinstall of App World will bring it all back to normal.

Try deleting apps from within App World and see if that makes a difference for you. It has for me.

fkjr2 11-21-2009 12:34 AM

happens here also

kurichan 11-21-2009 12:42 AM

Recently Slacker was acting funny so I decided to reinstall it. I wanted the install to be as clean as possible, so first I deleted it from AppWorld which of course resulted in the idiotic archiving of the app.

So then I tried to delete the archived version via AppWorld.

Nothing happened.

So I went back to the home screen and deleted it. The BB insisted on rebooting.

When it came back, AppWorld was gone..

Stability and simplicity that used to be BB's hallmark is going down the toilet.

NovaM 11-21-2009 03:37 AM

I found that problem on a beta or leaked OS... I believe it has something to do with the application signatures. Don't know of a fix other than running a full release non-leaked OS

sswyden 11-21-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdrum (Post 1511670)
This happened to me a couple of times before as well. The trick is to delete apps (or archives) from within App World ( App World > My World > ...). If you just go to the BlackBerry menu and try to delete something it will also remove the icon for the App World (I say icon, because I have read other posts that indicate that App World itself is not uninstalled, that the bug simply removes the icon). A reinstall of App World will bring it all back to normal.

Try deleting apps from within App World and see if that makes a difference for you. It has for me.

Thanks rdrum. I tried to delete each from My World, with battery pulls/reboots after each. The first archived app deleted successfully, and now shows as "uninstalled", but the other ones still show as archived. I have to hope a future upgrade will address this. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying.

crboone 11-22-2009 04:03 PM

I finally gave up the last time App World uninstalled itself. Now I have MobiHand's app store installed instead -- and it stays put. In fact, I had downloaded a trial version of an app from BB App World but ended up purchasing it through MobiHand once the trial ran out. Not that I'm trying to sell MobiHand over BB App World, I'm just stating what I have done in this situation.

rdrum 11-23-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaM (Post 1512079)
I found that problem on a beta or leaked OS... I believe it has something to do with the application signatures. Don't know of a fix other than running a full release non-leaked OS

I agree that users may experience issues like this when using a leaked, or otherwise non-official, release of the OS. However, I've experienced the issue and I am running the OS that shipped with the device.

As an IT project manager, I think a lot of it comes down to QA. No software is perfect right out of the box and not every feature can be tested to cover every angle/situation. Even with months of testing time, it's often difficult to account for every user scenario.

I imagine that RIM will be collecting feedback on issues like this one and will address them soon enough. This one isn't a critical issue (as far as I'm concerned) - it's a PITA, but not critical.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.