HOW TO: Upgrade BB with or without data plan!
i'm writing this how to, because of my problem to upgrade my BB (storm 9530). i have no data plan, and i couldn't get the Loader to load my OS...
after a lot of troubleshooting... i finally got the answer so, this is me sharing it!
these are the 'normal' instructions of installing an OS:
Instructions for installing either version on ANY carrier's 9530:
1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
you did all these steps, just like the instructions say, but the damnn loader wont load your OS?
and you'll get someting like this?:
no vendor.xml on your pc, even not in the VirtualStore, and it wont load the dammn OS? This is your solution
I recommend the following instructions even if the 'normal' method works, because it's going to be a complete fresh instal.
ok lets go:
first get the following things,
1. BBSAK (http://rimgeeks.com/download.php?f=B..._Installer.msi
2. Your BB OS!
3. DM (to make a backup)
4. Shrink-a-Os (http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.exe
first of all, make sure you uninstalled every OS you don't want to instal on your Blackberry.
1) Install BBSAK
2) Install New OS
If you want the Original OS to be installed, without a shrink please proceed to step 3
Now we are going to Shrink Our OS, this helps a lot if you want a fast BB, or if you have a lot of apps wich drain your device memory.
ok you have the shrink a os file downloaded on your Computer.
Press the windowsbutton + 'R'
the run screen on your pc will pop up, copy this in it! and hit run
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\
now you will se a OS folder (mines is '9530AMEA_v184.108.40.2069_P220.127.116.11') this is where the OS is installed on your pc.
open this folder and copy the Shrink - a - OS file in the folder!
if you have the option run as administrator, run it as administrator, or else just double click on it!
now you have to check the highlighted box (see picture)
just check the boxes of the items you don't want or don't need
Hit the Shrink my os button, and the program will shrink your os,
it will show you how much MB's you've won by doing this step
ok continue with step 3
3) lets make some backups,
- first backup your device using the Desktop Manager (i think i dont have to explain this)
- if you have thirth party apps you'll have to open BBSAK, typ in your password(if you have one) if not, leave blank.
click on the Backup Apps button, and BBSAK wil backup your APPS! =D
4) Open BBSAK,
Click on the 'Wipe Device' button . It says " Are you sure ? This is a low level wipe " this is just fine, click on the OK Button
5) Now your Blackberry is wiped, it will restart, and give you an Error (507)
this is what we want, because now you'll have an empty BB, and there will be nothing to read for the DM or the Loader.exe
6) Make sure your BB is on, and press the reconnect button on BBSAK, if your pin shows up, this is good, if not try a battery pull and detach your BB from your computer, and re attach it. this will work
7) Hit the Load OS button on BBSAK
8) this screen wil pop up,
i guess you did notice it's just the loader. exe ... (you'll think) WAIT the loader.exe.. i didn't delete the vendor.xml!! no problem, BBSAK automatically did this for you! Nice huh!
now the only thing you've gotta do is run the installation program!
now you've got your OS loaded, the loader.exe wil say load succesfully or something like that, let the bb reboot and let it takes its time, (first time is going to be looooong!)
9) open BBSAK again, and press Restore Apps
10) open DM and let it restore the BB,
afterwards, bull the battery let it reboot again, and start to check out the fresh installed new OS!!
i hope this helps you!