07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Thumbs Must Hurt
Join Date: May 2007
OS: Windows 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | 24 Hours After Purchase
Please Login to Remove!
Switching from the 8830 running various beta OS over the last year, I have been waiting a full year for this to come out. These are my first impressions after 24 hours.
1) Athletically, the device is handsome. It has a great feel in the palm of one’s hand.
2) The rubberized texture is also very helpful. It isn’t nearly as slick as the 8830.
3) As noted in other places, the trackball is a bit too recessed into the device for my liking, but I think this will not be an issue over time.
4) The keyboard is better spaced than then 8830, but a line at Disney World in midsummer has better spacing.
5) The device does feel thicker than the 8830 too.
1) Out of the box, one of the first things I did was try to change the theme, there are only two themes available. Unfortunately they do not have the theme which has all icons listed on the home screen without clicking the BlackBerry button.
2) Initially the scrolling through icon was actually very slow. It really shows when you are in some applications. The lag can be pretty stark sometimes. I think it has gotten better, but time will tell.
3) Signal seems to be okay… I’m still trying to get a bead on it. It may not seem as consistent yet, but I need to do a tower reprogramming.
4) These devices are becoming like a PC bought at Best Buy, they are starting to load them up with unnecessary applications. While many of the apps are actually shortcuts to downloads, they are fluff that I would prefer not be on the device. These include, Flickr, Facebook, Myspace, My Verizon,VZ Navigator… then they have a ton of other IM apps. I have removed them from the Service Book, but they are pushed out on to the device again.
5) It sucks that the notification for all emails is just limited to “one beep/sound”. I really miss two or three beeps while I’m at home and have it on loud. Hopefully they will adjust this in a later release.
6) Great to have MMS on the device yet to use it though.
7) So sweet to have the GPS open to more than just BBMaps. It seems to be nearly perfect on Google Maps
8) I switched to UberTwitter from TwitterBerry… HUGE! Major improvement.. sorry not related to the device, just a great app.
9) Camera is excellent and so is the video. I am impressed!
10) I do not know why they have a separate icon for Multimedia and Music. They are duplicitous.
11) Finding the phone icon was tough. The hid it, and I can understand this, but I kinda like having that icon as my first because it is a phone.
12) In the browser, unless I am missing something I miss the ability to scroll down and the highlighted portion jumps from hypertext to hypertext rather than using the arrow to move around. It makes moving down the page slower. However the browser does render better than OS 4.5.
13) Praise to BeeJive, for making the transition to a new BlackBerry very seamless.
That’s all I can think of for now. Please let me know if you have any questions.