Originally Posted by bigdaadio
when I type a contact name from the home screen, it brings up BB messenger...Am I doing something wrong?
Does the name you're typing begin with an "n". That's probably the case and if so the Dial From Home Screen option is set to "No." And when this option is set to "no"... then while on the Home Screen, certain letters on the keyboard act as shortcuts to other stock applications/features on your BB. To switch this option to "yes" so that you can type a name from the home screen and call that contact, do this:
1. From whatever screen you're on, press the [green] phone button.
2. Press the menu button.
3. Select "Options."
4. Select "General Options."
5. Scroll down to the "Dial from home screen" option.
6.Switch to "Yes".
There ya go. The only reason I don't have this option set to is so I can have use of the natively (set by RIM) shortcut keys. They are priceless. But you can't dial phone numbers from the home screen AND have those shortcuts available. You must choose one or the other...meaning Dial From Home Screen option to yes OR no. "n" just happens to be the shortcut to open BB Messenger.
Here are the other Home Screen Shortcuts:
(Some shortcuts may not be active on your device if you don't have the 3rd party app installed.)
* (A)ddress Book
* (C)ompose Message
* Memo Pa(D)
* Pro(F)iles (No longer works on the Tour. This sucks, especially cause pressing that letter does nothing.)
* (G)oogle Talk (only 3rd party app I know of that has this!)
* (I)deaMatrix (3rd party app by RexWireless)
* Or... AOL (I)nstant Messenger
* BlackBerry Messe(N)ger
* Enterprise Messenger (Q), or
* (Q) New SMS
* Ala(R)m [built-in BB alarm]
* Sa(V)ed messages
* (W)AP Browser
* ToDoMatri(X) (3rd party app by RexWireless)
* (Y)ahoo messenger
Hope this helps ya. Just passing on the knowledge I got from another BB user. Peace!