BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East of Cleveland, OH
Model: Q10
OS: 10.2.1.23
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 209
Post Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Upgrade from 9630 to 9650, or wait?

Please Login to Remove!

Trying to decide what to do here. Wife & I both have 9630s, no issues with either except for very minor occasional stickiness of the trackball and the poor browser. She doesn't care, but I'm bothered that I (most likely, according to everything I'm reading) won't be able to upgrade to OS 6 when it's released, especially since the new browser is supposedly gonna be so much better.

I'm eligible for an upgrade and am debating if I want to get a 9650 and just keep my 9630 in case she breaks hers, or if I should just keep using my 9630 and wait and see what the 9670 or 9800 are like. I can't stand touch screen phones (hence not looking at the Storm series of phones), but the bigger screens on the 9670 & 9800 would be nice to have.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 1-year contract on the 9650 so I can run OS 6 when it's released, and by the time that's up for renewal the 9670 and 9800 will hopefully be out with the OS bugs worked out of 'em and I can choose then if I want to change to one of those or stick with the 9650.

Thoughts? Opinions? Something I may have overlooked?
Offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Model: 9600
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i would wait i think its not that much of an upgrade if you go to a 9650
__________________
blackberry tour for sale 7 months old in mint shape not a scratch on it pm me
Offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

As much as I like my Bold and I DO think its a great upgrade to the tour, I think you should wait. I went from a Tour myself so Ive used both extensively.

Here's why, First we don't know exactly when Os6 will be out or when the Bold will get it. What if its not till next year?

Secondly LTE WILL be rolled out in November and LTE phones will come out them too probably. I wouldn't get any phone right now that's not LTE capable. Any BB released after the Bold Will most likely either have OS6 loaded from the factory or at least definitely will be upgradable with it.

I wouldn't burn an upgrade with a near guarantee of some really good stuff coming very soon. Worst comes to worst you don't like anything and you get a Bold then. Hey it'll probably be cheaper than too.

Last edited by loki993 : 07-15-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ffejie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.222
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 240
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. I could get a 9650 from VZW (on a corporate contract) for a ridiculous low price but I'd have to renew for another year. I'm hoping something better comes out between now and the end of the year. I really like the way the slider looks, but I'm not holding my breath for a CDMA version. I'm also not holding my breath for a LTE Blackberry until at least this time next year.
Offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
kurichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.591
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES
Posts: 696
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The sticky track ball is a known problem. Call Verizon. They will send you a new one if under warranty. If they don't have stock at the time, you might get a 9650 as some people have.
__________________
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Offline  
Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: All Over the U.S.A.
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.230
PIN: the tail on the donkey
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would wait as I am for a OS 6 device although I am on Sprint so it might be the next decade before that happens
Offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PressureDrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: dr01d
OS: FroYo
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a note on my account from the last time I spoke with them to let me have a 9650 as an upgrade for for super cheap....and extend my contract 24mos. I am gonna wait and see what comes out as long as I can even though I really want track pad and wifi, I am not down for reupping my contract right now. I hope LTE BBs happen in less than forever!
Offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Preroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.254
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 420
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Between all the reviews RE: the 9650 and its poor battery life, signal, and battery door issues, I think I'm going to wait a few months for a newer device with hopefully a better battery, a radio signal that works, and possibly LTE capable (well....we'll see how long that takes but you never know). I was really anxious for the 9650 but can't justify going backwards with new problems. I'm tired of my locked up 8330 from Verizon, but the battery life is acceptable, I have no dropped calls, and the unit feels more solid in my hands than the 9650. Hopefully the release of a new unit will not take as long as it did from the 8330>9630>9650. It's just a wait and see game.....

Last edited by Preroll : 07-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd hold on to your current unit, but upgrage to better browser. (I've had terrific luck with Opera)

Mic
Offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Ashg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East TN
Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 129
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

With VZW rolling out the LTE network this winter, I'd hold off to see if any LTE handsets are coming out after the new year.

As for replacements, I just did my third Tour swap and they sent me a Certified Like-New 9650 the last time. Personally, Certified Like-New has been code for "steaming pile of horse dung" in my experience, but I can live with the CLN 9650; its only problem is the camera.

Ask nicely and see what happens.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejie View Post
I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. I could get a 9650 from VZW (on a corporate contract) for a ridiculous low price but I'd have to renew for another year. I'm hoping something better comes out between now and the end of the year. I really like the way the slider looks, but I'm not holding my breath for a CDMA version. I'm also not holding my breath for a LTE Blackberry until at least this time next year.
If that in fact does happen, not coming out with an LTE phone for another year, that will nearly guarantee me switching to a Driod phone. I doubt id be the only one either. I WILL not wait a year for RIM to get around to releasing an LTE BB. They know its coming and there would be no excuse to not have one at launch or at bare minimum have one announced. That would be a very big mistake on RIMs part if they let that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
Between all the reviews RE: the 9650 and its poor battery life, signal, and battery door issues, I think I'm going to wait a few months for a newer device with hopefully a better battery, a radio signal that works, and possibly LTE capable (well....we'll see how long that takes but you never know). I was really anxious for the 9650 but can't justify going backwards with new problems. I'm tired of my locked up 8330 from Verizon, but the battery life is acceptable, I have no dropped calls, and the unit feels more solid in my hands than the 9650. Hopefully the release of a new unit will not take as long as it did from the 8330>9630>9650. It's just a wait and see game.....
Those issues are overblown and exaggerated. I had the Tour and Now have the Bold, not problems with my battery door. The signal does bounce, but if you in an are where there is good signal its not a big deal. I'm not so I have issues, but its more a produce of the area I'm in and not the phone. Battery life isn't the greatest, but its no worse than my Tour either. I also thin I have problems because it has to search for a signal a lot. I'm in the boondocks. When I'm in and around bigger cites battery and signal are not issues.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashg View Post
With VZW rolling out the LTE network this winter, I'd hold off to see if any LTE handsets are coming out after the new year.

As for replacements, I just did my third Tour swap and they sent me a Certified Like-New 9650 the last time. Personally, Certified Like-New has been code for "steaming pile of horse dung" in my experience, but I can live with the CLN 9650; its only problem is the camera.

Ask nicely and see what happens.
Not a big difference between a 10 mos/1 year contract and a 2 year contract. I learned not to wait on contingencies.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I m waiting on my 9650 from VZW right now - Trackball issues, went from ATT to VZ in Nov, loved the Tour 9630, but the trackball was bad, so i called up, they overnighted one to me - trouble is, no camera, so another call and I ll be getting the 9650 with cam tomorrow - I did try the new one quickly, the new pad is so much better, I m looking forward to it (plus seeing as I scratched my other phones LCD, its even better!)
Offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionmagia View Post
I m waiting on my 9650 from VZW right now - Trackball issues, went from ATT to VZ in Nov, loved the Tour 9630, but the trackball was bad, so i called up, they overnighted one to me - trouble is, no camera, so another call and I ll be getting the 9650 with cam tomorrow - I did try the new one quickly, the new pad is so much better, I m looking forward to it (plus seeing as I scratched my other phones LCD, its even better!)
Good luck with phone and welcome to site
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ffejie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.222
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 240
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
If that in fact does happen, not coming out with an LTE phone for another year, that will nearly guarantee me switching to a Driod phone. I doubt id be the only one either. I WILL not wait a year for RIM to get around to releasing an LTE BB. They know its coming and there would be no excuse to not have one at launch or at bare minimum have one announced. That would be a very big mistake on RIMs part if they let that happen.
I couldn't agree with you more - but couldn't you just see it happening?

The LTE network is apparently ready to go this holiday season, and Verizon Wireless is going to be pushing the crap out of laptop cards and the like. I bet they'll launch with one phone - potentially an Android device. Other phones will start hitting the market around February. They'll be Windows 7, maybe some other Android phones as well.

Meanwhile, in November/December, we'll start hearing rumblings about a LTE Blackberry in Verizon's lab, then in real world test. Then the OS will start getting leaked. By the time March rolls around, we'll have the training material and "go live" dates of April or May. Those dates will get missed and they'll launch in June. It seems like every Verizon Blackberry follows the same pattern.

Early Summer 2007 - 8830 World Edition
Early Summer 2009 - Tour 9630
Early Summer 2010 - Bold 9650
Early Summer 2011 - First LTE Blackberry

I don't know what they released in 2008, but it seems like Verizon/RIM have a yearly release for their "executive" Blackberrys. It makes sense not to have a lot more flooding the market every couple of months.

Finally, if we're not hearing about it now, there's very little chance they could launch it by November - meaning it's not coming out until February.
Offline  
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PressureDrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: dr01d
OS: FroYo
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I might see about replacing my current model, but I am gonna stick around for a while before I go changing to something that costs anything.

Offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
BBF Spam Killer Moderator
 
daphne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on a sunny beach
Model: Z
OS: 10.2.1.12
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 9,165
Post Thanks: 122
Thanked 146 Times in 116 Posts
Default

I'm holding out for the Storm3 or maybe Storm4.
__________________
Report spam text messages to 7726
#BlackBerry by choice #BlacBerry 10 is here!
Offline  
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
oldrelicdvds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern Tier, NY
Model: Z10
OS: 10.1.0.20
PIN: 333DF936
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 120
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I'm holding out for the Storm3 or maybe Storm4.
Agree, would love to see what may be added.
__________________
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DickLewis13
Offline  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PressureDrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: dr01d
OS: FroYo
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So my wife is getting a 9650 from her job...IN ADDITION to her 9630 that I pay for
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.