BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/)
-   -   Clarification on push email (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/219090-clarification-push-email.html)

Garfield123 02-08-2010 04:02 AM

Clarification on push email
 
Hi all,

I'm undecided between a BB 9700 and a Motorola Droid/Milestone (Android OS).

I'd like some clarifications on email, as that's very important to me.

I need the following (using an Imap, not Exchange, server):
1) to manage two email addresses
2) to delete an email from the server when I delete it from the mobile, and viceversa
3) to upload to the server emails I send from the mobile

Imap idle clients on Nokias and Androids do 2 and 3 (Profimail and k-9 email, for instance).

Does BIS on Blackberry? :?
Or are 2 and 3 only possible with a BES, which is too expensive for me and would cause me to rule out the Blackberry? :-(

Alternatively, are there third party email clients on the Blackberry which would do what I need? I read about the funambol java email client for BB, but it seems pretty limited.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

MidnightDraven 02-08-2010 06:19 AM

BIS just doesnt have full IMAP support.
You get half IMAP support. BB to server. Not server to BB.

Garfield123 02-08-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightDraven (Post 1561649)
BIS just doesnt have full IMAP support.
You get half IMAP support. BB to server. Not server to BB.

Then no Blackberry for me.
It seems like, if email is important for you, then the Blackberry is only really worth it if you have an Exchange server and a BES plan.

If you use an imap mail server, almost all other systems (Nokias, Android, WinMobile) have imap idle clients which fully synchronize the mobile to the server, work over wifi, too, and only require an ordinary data plan (no expensive BES).

PS Out of curiosity, can you fully synchronize a BB with an imap mail server with BES at least? Or not even?

penguin3107 02-08-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield123 (Post 1561687)
PS Out of curiosity, can you fully synchronize a BB with an imap mail server with BES at least? Or not even?

No.
BES is an enterprise solution that works with Exchange, Domino or Groupwise.
You wouldn't use an IMAP email server as the messaging platform.

Garfield123 02-08-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1561689)
No.
BES is an enterprise solution that works with Exchange, Domino or Groupwise.
You wouldn't use an IMAP email server as the messaging platform.

So, if you have an imap mail server and emails are important for you, Blackberrys would be a dumb choice, an absolute waste of money because all other platforms can provide imap idle clients, i.e. a better solution (full sync) at lower costs.

penguin3107 02-08-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield123 (Post 1561733)
So, if you have an imap mail server and emails are important for you, Blackberrys would be a dumb choice, an absolute waste of money because all other platforms can provide imap idle clients, i.e. a better solution (full sync) at lower costs.

That's correct.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.