BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/)
-   -   HELP!! Using E-mail function in different countries (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/226078-help-using-e-mail-function-different-countries.html)

khan0721 05-07-2010 12:16 PM

HELP!! Using E-mail function in different countries
 
Hi,

I bought a BlackBerry Bold2 in Chicago and sent it to my sister who works in China hoping she could fully use its features.

She unlocked it and changed the SIM card so now she is able to use phone call and internet. However, she has not been able to use E-mail feature, which is the main reason why she needed BlackBerry in the first place.

I asked to a guy at T-Mobile and he told me that she should have a US plan in order to use E-mail since apparently "unlock" doesn't affect E-Mail and E-mail is always locked and only available to the users who have network plan in the US. I have no idea if that's true. Is it?

My sister lives in China and it would be ridiculous to have a network plan from, for example, T-Mobile in order to use E-Mail. There gotta be a simpler way.
Is there any simple way to use email feature?

Thanks!

aiharkness 05-07-2010 12:34 PM

You must have a blackberry data plan to utilize the blackberry/RIM data functions. (It is possible to do some data functions with a generic data plan, but not blackberry data.) This is in addition to the voice plan, but obtained from the same service provider, assuming the service provider supports blackberrys.

See What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ.

If the blackberry was purchased second hand, see Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ. It doesn't apply just to ebay purchases; and if you are having problems, your answer may be explained in the article.

sbi 05-07-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1604133)
You must have a blackberry data plan to utilize the blackberry/RIM data functions. (It is possible to do some data functions with a generic data plan, but not blackberry data.) This is in addition to the voice plan, but obtained from the same service provider, assuming the service provider supports blackberrys.

See What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ.

If I may jump in on this - so, if you have a US plan (because you live here) and you travel abroad...not living abroad, and you use a local (non-US) SIM card, will you be able to use your US BB Data plan with the local SIM?

TheRinger 05-07-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbi (Post 1604175)
If I may jump in on this - so, if you have a US plan (because you live here) and you travel abroad...not living abroad, and you use a local (non-US) SIM card, will you be able to use your US BB Data plan with the local SIM?

No, the local sim needs a bb data plan. Provisioning is on the sim not the device

sbi 05-07-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRinger (Post 1604186)
No, the local sim needs a bb data plan. Provisioning is on the sim not the device

So, if it's a standard local SIM all I'll be able to do is make/receive calls?

NJBlackBerry 05-07-2010 04:14 PM

And SMS text. Thats it...

sbi 05-07-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1604196)
And SMS text. Thats it...

Thank you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.