BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/)
-   -   So many apps are missing for OS-6!!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/240974-so-many-apps-missing-os-6-a.html)

austinholloman 12-01-2010 11:12 PM

So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
I was so excited to get my new 9780 today in the mail and once I started using it I was shocked to find how many apps are missing for OS6! Yikes! When is BB going to get on the ball about these apps?! I know RIM just put out a press release with OS6 launch stating they were going to be much more competitive in the apps world. This really doesn't seem like it. LAME!:x(n)

joginder 12-01-2010 11:19 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
What particular apps that you see are missing that you were using a lot on older BBs ?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

austinholloman 12-01-2010 11:29 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
USAA bank app, Pandora, Yelp, paypal... list goes on and on.....

zocster 12-02-2010 01:01 AM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Paypal is there in app world ... Is it not working, works on my pearl on leaked 6
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Wolf_Dreams 12-02-2010 01:08 AM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
???? They're all downloadable ....

Check out PayPal! You can find it at BlackBerry App World - PayPal

Check out Yelp! You can find it at BlackBerry App World - Yelp

Pandora download link -
Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Just look for them.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

fsager 12-02-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams (Post 1680054)
???? They're all downloadable ....

Check out PayPal! You can find it at BlackBerry App World - PayPal

Check out Yelp! You can find it at BlackBerry App World - Yelp

Pandora download link -
Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Just look for them.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

PayPal and yelp are not downloadable from appworld on the 9780. Pandora is not available for download from their website. Pandora.com states how the device is not supported.

Now can I download the .alx and .cod files to my PC and load them manually??? Yes, but I run linux so it will be a bit painful.

Now RIM being more competitive in the app market is 2 fold. For starters, appworld is the answer to Android Market and iTunes. I feel they have done a good job here. Secondly it is up to each individual app developer to ensure their app is compatible with RIM's latest platform. RIM can only do that for the apps they directly develop, like appworld, Facebook, BB Maps, etc. Yelp, PayPal and Pandora are not developed by RIM, and they have of yet put out an official version that is supported on OS 6 and for the 9780. Once they do that, RIM would put them up in appworld.

So pressure the developers and direct your lack of support to them, not RIM.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

austinholloman 12-02-2010 12:52 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Oh your right! RIM has no pull in the mobile world. They can't put any pressure on these devs and say "get it out now or RIM won't ever house it and RIM customer can use your compitions apps instead!" Yeah, your right... This is a dog eat dog world, RIM states the will be agressive and this simply is not. Stand by what you say or don't say it at all. Simple. I'm sure steve jobs would release on new OS that had less app support than the last version??? Pshhh great idea RIM! Smooth move.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

aiharkness 12-02-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinholloman (Post 1680258)
Oh your right! RIM has no pull in the mobile world. They can't put any pressure on these devs and say "get it out now or RIM won't ever house it and RIM customer can use your compitions apps instead!" Yeah, your right... This is a dog eat dog world, RIM states the will be agressive and this simply is not. Stand by what you say or don't say it at all. Simple. I'm sure steve jobs would release on new OS that had less app support than the last version??? Pshhh great idea RIM! Smooth move.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Alright, stand by what you say. I'll pick Pandora, but use your own third-party example if you wish. What's the rest of the story? How is RIM fully to blame again?

Do you have facts to stand on or are you just spouting?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

austinholloman 12-02-2010 01:43 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
These are facts. RIM is a huge player in thgis game, they have pull and you have used it before OS6 hit the sales floor. Period.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

aiharkness 12-02-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinholloman (Post 1680274)
These are facts. RIM is a huge player in thgis game, they have pull and you have used it before OS6 hit the sales floor. Period.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

First, this forum is not associated or controlled or owned by RIM. It is a privately owned enterprise.

But you haven't provided any facts to justify your statement that RIM holds most of the blame. You've told other people what to do and failed to live up to your own standard.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

austinholloman 12-02-2010 02:35 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
As you stated, I haven't spoke with RIM at all. So I haven't told anyone what to do, simply stated what they should have done. The only person here that has told anyone what to do is you.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

aiharkness 12-02-2010 04:02 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
I just asked if you would do what you told fsager to do. And it appears you are unable to do so.

I don't have any problem with anyone's opinion, just people telling other people what they should or shouldn't have posted. At least not until you're a mod.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

stevew 12-02-2010 08:47 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Nothing to learn here - moving on and leaving this thread for you to beat each other up in...

fsager 12-02-2010 09:30 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1680404)
Nothing to learn here - moving on and leaving this thread for you to beat each other up in...

Amen!

But I will try to save this thread and teach you all.

RIM has pull. They can pressure devs to get their apps out now, but at what cost? An inferior product? The dev refusing to develop for blackberry? As it stands, and I'm going to use Pandora as an example, although RIM controls their Appworld marketplace, what will ultimately drive Pandora to support OS6 and the 9780 is the fact that Slacker Radio already does, not because Pandora supports iOS and Android, and RIM is angry pandora doesn't.

I could do a whole economic theory dissertation on this, but I'm a motorcoach operator and not an economist.

austinholloman 12-02-2010 10:52 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by austinholloman (Post 1680274)
These are facts. RIM is a huge player in this game, they have pull and should have used it before OS6 hit the sales floor. Period.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

^^^Fixed. I was typing on my BB. This thread has really got off topic, the point is: Where the heck are all these apps and why did RIM release a NEW OS with so many major players lacking support??? And why did they claim they would be more aggressive in releasing the supper apps? Like Netflix, flash player for their browser etc. Why are they claiming to go after these things and not having the simple apps from their old OS work at all? Just seems very odd to me.



Save and learn this-



RIM promises to soothe BlackBerry app developers' woes, says 'we're so there' -- Engadget


Put these facts in your pipes and smoke them.

"There's no question that the BlackBerry App World hasn't been quite the runaway success RIM hoped it would be, but the company is far from ready to throw in the towel, and it's now promising some new measures to woo new developers and make the lives of current ones a bit easier. Some of those initiatives have already been rolled out -- like new payment options -- while others including a free analytics service will become available to developers in the coming weeks and months. As RIM's head of application development, Alan Brenner, explains to The Wall Street Journal, RIM has been working for the past two years to make BlackBerrys more developer friendly, and he now says that "we're so there." They may not be quite as close as they think, however, as the WSJ also spoke to a number of developers who used words like "horrible" to describe the current state of things, while leading mobile game developer PopCap Games even went so far as to say that "RIM today is not really on our radar."" From link above ^^^

aiharkness 12-03-2010 04:51 AM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Everyone has a hot button, and one of mine lately is members telling other members what they can or should post and what they shouldn't post. I don't look for fights and I won't apologize for asking someone to live up to their own instructions when they are critical of another member.

ezrunner 12-03-2010 05:03 AM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Usaa app works on my 9800 with os6
Paypal app is working
So is pandora
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

fsager 12-03-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner (Post 1680499)
Usaa app works on my 9800 with os6
Paypal app is working
So is pandora
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

I'm pretty sure the apps for OS6 for other devices will work, but currently some apps don't work or appear to work on the 9780. For example, I can't download Pandora OTA. Its not in appworld, nor will the pandora website let me download.

With the device having recently come out I'd say the missing apps should be offically available for the 9780 shortly. If you can't wait, try installing the application manually or email the dev.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

fsager 12-03-2010 07:34 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
I stand corrected, pandora is now available OTA off of pandora.com. I will clear my appworld cache and see if pops up there.

Still as I have said, BE PATIENT!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

fsager 12-03-2010 07:38 PM

Re: So many apps are missing for OS-6!!!
 
Pandora is now available in appworld. Alt+RST if you don't see it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.